Author Topic: "Boyhood" Richard Linklater's film 12 years in the making  (Read 11312 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: "Boyhood" Richard Linklater's film 12 years in the making
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 02:27:57 pm »

Did I miss something? Did they cut something out for the inflight version? Didn't I pay attention?
You could put a spoiler warning to your reply or PM me if preferred.

Those comments are puzzling because I don't remember anything "chilling" at the end of the film.  ???

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 02:43:46 pm »
Did I miss something? Did they cut something out for the inflight version? Didn't I pay attention?
You could put a spoiler warning to your reply or PM me if preferred.

When I said it pays not to be spoiled, I wasn't talking about the ending, per se. (I'm not sure what gave gattaca/Vincent chills.)

Rather, I was talking about being "surprised" when the years change; to see how they all turn out. 

I'm glad you saw it.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 04:30:38 am »
I sure hope that Boyhood, or Birdman, wins at the Oscars and not the execrable American Sniper.

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 08:10:18 am »
Those comments are puzzling because I don't remember anything "chilling" at the end of the film.  ???
The whole movie really but the the last 15 mins and the accompanying music scores with these sections...
  • the conversation between Mason and his Mom, shortly before he drives away...
  • the long drive with the roadage shots on his way and the music he's listening to...  
  • stopping to purchase gas and having an eye to take those photographs of such "ordinary things..."
  • the road trip, with Mason, his roommate and two other people he just met... into the huge, vast canyon
  • The "seize the moment" vs. "the moment seizes us" conversation between Mason and the young lady he just met... draped by the vast canyon setting...

rewatch those if you can and really consider Mason's "goodbye" conversation w/ his mom and her reactions..

...now lather on top that when I saw the film, I was in Boston at an old theater with my son. We were literally on the edge of that very moment, with just a few weeks before he was heading to college..

yeah, it hit very close to home, kicked me hard and then once I started paralleling some BBM elements in there, it was game over for me.  Hell it's kicking me just thinking about writing this post.  But I guess it may be more of you had to really "be there" in my case.  Peace. V.
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 08:32:06 am »
Thanks for elaborating, Vincent.

While I found the ending very beautiful, I can see that your experience sure would make it even more moving:  as "boyhood" turns into "adulthood".

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 09:28:23 am »
It's interesting reading this thread, as I haven't seen the movie, but have a number of friends who did, who found it boring.

My supervisor at my job is a huge movie fan, and makes a point of seeing all the best picture nominated films each year.  Her comment was:

"It was way too long, I couldn't get involved or attached to any of the characters, and in the end just didn't care what happened to any of them.  For the life of me, I can't understand why this film is even nominated for any awards."

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2015, 11:38:04 am »
It's interesting reading this thread, as I haven't seen the movie, but have a number of friends who did, who found it boring.

My supervisor at my job is a huge movie fan, and makes a point of seeing all the best picture nominated films each year.  Her comment was:

"It was way too long, I couldn't get involved or attached to any of the characters, and in the end just didn't care what happened to any of them.  For the life of me, I can't understand why this film is even nominated for any awards."

Different strokes...

People said the exact same thing about BBM back in the day.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2015, 01:39:24 pm »
Sadly I have to join "team bored". I find the way it was made interesting, but the storyline...huh? I was glancing at my watch, waiting for...something.
A cool idea is not enough to make a good movie. I rather have a movie that was made in fifteen minutes flat with an interesting story line. ;D
It´s more brains than heart in this movie.

As for the Oscars, my favorite is probably The Imitation Game (Benedict Cumberbitch, long overdue fame for Alan Turing) . I also enjoyed Selma (high production values, good actors and lots of heart) and Whiplash (J.K Simmons!). Birdman was OK (too little Birdman), American Sniper...just no . The Theory of Everything had a bit too much of the "made to please the Oscars jury" wibe for my taste.

On the whole though...a slightly underwhelming race this year. I don´t "love" any of them. I miss movies like Brokeback, The Piano and Amadeus....god I feel old. lol.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2015, 03:44:15 pm »
Different strokes...

People said the exact same thing about BBM back in the day.

You've got that right.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 04:59:21 pm »
I loved Boyhood.

The thing is - there is no storyline.

It's just like life itself, things just happen. Sometimes there is a connection to something that happened earlier, sometimes there isn't.

Everyday family life, little things that make up a day, a week, a year. People grow, mature, get older.

Life itself.

I saw it last summer, I'd like to see it again if I get a chance.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre