Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025306 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1110 on: November 14, 2008, 07:00:39 pm »
Damme Good!

Just getting back from seeing Jean-Claude Van Damme's much anticipated film, JCVD.  The critics were right, it's a very good film,  I laughed, I cried (well, my eyes teared up a bit), I loved it!  Another title for my top ten of the year.  Granted, it's been a weak year so far and the good film season is just starting, it will be interesting to see if it stays on the list.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1111 on: November 14, 2008, 08:31:39 pm »
Hey Gil, does he play himself in this?  (I admit, it took me a minute to notice the title = his name, duh.)

Is this a documentary or a parody?

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1112 on: November 15, 2008, 11:55:50 am »
Hey Gil, does he play himself in this?  (I admit, it took me a minute to notice the title = his name, duh.)

Is this a documentary or a parody?

"JCVD" is not an action movie but a shrewd satire about stardom and the cult of celebrity. It tells the story of an action star who is still famous, and yet something of a has-been. A man who still has fans, but who has serious career problems. A man who is recognized everywhere, but as much for his failures as his successes. A man who could probably spend the rest of his life making good money in pictures, but in low-budget, demeaning productions that are beneath him.

In other words, it's about Jean-Claude Van Damme, who is played by none other than Jean-Claude Van Damme, who does so with great self-effacement and a battle-scarred humility. Van Damme brings to the film a weary sense of humor and an emotional facility that we haven't seen from him before. Alert the media: Van Damme is an actor. Not just a muscleman, not just a martial artist, but someone with access to a rich internal life that's manifest on his once smooth and now rugged 47-year-old face. Seriously, if "JCVD" doesn't signal some kind of turnabout in Van Damme's career, there is no justice."

The above is an excerpt from Mick Lasalle's review:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/13/DD88143A0I.DTL

Offical Site:
http://www.jcvd-lefilm.com/journal/?cat=3&lang_pref=en

Trailer:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z_6UfkQ-c0&NR=1[/youtube]

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1113 on: November 15, 2008, 12:44:45 pm »
Oilgun, that looks really good!

I'll have to admit, when I read your first post, I was confused. What? A movie starring Jean-Claude Van Damme? Have oilgun's reliably high standards suddenly plummeted?

But after reading the review and watching the trailer, I get it. In fact, it's like I'm one of the characters in the movie. It is on my list of must-sees.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1114 on: November 15, 2008, 01:21:22 pm »
It's on my list too! Thank you so much, oilgun, for your outstanding movie recommendations. We should git you out a those oilfields and into the movie theater on a regular basis, on a professional basis! (Who knows, you probably run the Toronto Film Festival and your oilgun tag is a cover LOL!)

Finally, it's the Denver Intl. Film Festival, and my list of films to see includes Laurel Canyon, Wendy and Lucy, The Eternal City, The Hustler, and, on closing night, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kit and Wild Combination: a Portrait of Arthur Russell. I wish I were seeing more international films, so I'll try to add to this list as/if I get more time!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1115 on: November 15, 2008, 02:09:02 pm »
(Who knows, you probably run the Toronto Film Festival and your oilgun tag is a cover LOL!)

If not, he should.

Finally, it's the Denver Intl. Film Festival, and my list of films to see includes Laurel Canyon, Wendy and Lucy, The Eternal City, The Hustler, and, on closing night, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kit and Wild Combination: a Portrait of Arthur Russell. I wish I were seeing more international films, so I'll try to add to this list as/if I get more time!

The Laurel Canyon with Frances McDormand and Christian Bale? I saw that in the theater and liked it. It's what a friend of mine and I call SBL -- smart but light.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1116 on: November 15, 2008, 02:58:04 pm »
Oilgun, that looks really good!

I'll have to admit, when I read your first post, I was confused. What? A movie starring Jean-Claude Van Damme? Have oilgun's reliably high standards suddenly plummeted?

But after reading the review and watching the trailer, I get it. In fact, it's like I'm one of the characters in the movie. It is on my list of must-sees.

That's funny, thank you SC!   I never thought I would ever rush to a Van Damme movie on opening day!  Mind you, I do like some of his action movies but only as guilty pleasures.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1117 on: November 15, 2008, 04:06:57 pm »
The Laurel Canyon with Frances McDormand and Christian Bale? I saw that in the theater and liked it. It's what a friend of mine and I call SBL -- smart but light.

Yes, that's the one. McDormand is one a my favorite actors and I missed it during its commercial run.

Wendy and Lucy stars our Michelle Williams.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1118 on: November 15, 2008, 06:34:02 pm »
It's on my list too! Thank you so much, oilgun, for your outstanding movie recommendations. We should git you out a those oilfields and into the movie theater on a regular basis, on a professional basis! (Who knows, you probably run the Toronto Film Festival and your oilgun tag is a cover LOL!)

Are you calling me a Roughneck?!  I like it!  I'm afraid I'm not a TIFF programmer (I wish!), but I'll come clean, I'm actually Jean-Claude Van Damme!   ;D
Thanks for the kind words FR, and have fun at the film fest!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1119 on: November 16, 2008, 01:27:52 am »
Are you calling me a Roughneck?!  I like it! 

Oh well, in that case, I'll call you a Roustabout and a Scalawag!! I had a wonderful time at the fest, enjoyed so much meeting Wally Pfister, and I'll write it all down as soon as I come down off my cloud!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:41:56 pm by Front-Ranger »