Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1035736 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1180 on: December 12, 2008, 10:44:30 am »
For a group of people here who are so intolerant of assumptions and opinions not based on proven, documented evidence, it seems funny to make such charges.  ;D  For decades, gays and gay groupies have fantasized that Cruise would be gay, but that is all it is...wishful thinking.

Well, they aren't exactly "charges." They're not public accusations, just our private assumptions based on things we've heard and/or observed -- including his own odd public behavior at times, such as his Oprah appearance. And they're not negative assumptions, as the word "charges" implies, except in the sense that it would be sad if he had to go through life not feeling free to be himself. I think most of us on a Brokeback Mountain website can relate to the pathos in that.

Being neither a gay man nor in any way likely to have romantic interaction with Tom Cruise, it's pretty immaterial to me one way or the other.

I think many of us probably have various opinions -- well founded or not -- about what this or that celebrity might be like in private life. That's just part of being famous. Many obviously believe it's a fair exchange for the millions of dollars and other perks they receive. And if 10 percent of the population (or whatever) is gay, but nowhere near 10 percent of movie stars acknowledge being gay, then it stands to reason that there are some movie stars who are gay but not tellin.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1181 on: December 12, 2008, 01:42:15 pm »
what on  earth does that mean?  ???

It means I am not going to see Valkyrie.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1182 on: December 14, 2008, 05:03:34 pm »
Milk has opened here in an exclusive engagement at the Nickelodeon Theater (which also had an exclusive engagement with BBM three years ago). I am hoping to go see it on Wednesday afternoon.

Just back from seeing Australia for a second time and I liked it even more. I could focus on the characters and dialog and picked up things I missed the first time. I definitely recommend it as a big, sweeping epic movie. If you are at all interested, see it in the theater. It will lose alot of its impact on a TV screen.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1183 on: December 14, 2008, 09:41:04 pm »
Just back from seeing Australia for a second time and I liked it even more. I could focus on the characters and dialog and picked up things I missed the first time. I definitely recommend it as a big, sweeping epic movie. If you are at all interested, see it in the theater. It will lose alot of its impact on a TV screen.

Oh, all right!  >:( ;) :-*

I was going to skip Australia in favor of all the other movies I feel the need to see: Milk, Slumdog Millionaire, JCVD (thanks, oilgun!  :D), that French Christmas one with Catherine Deneuve, and maybe another one or two I can't think of right now.

But I have heard such great word-of-mouth about Australia that I'm afraid after all I'm going to have to throw it on the barbie (sorry, Aussiebrokies!  ;D).

UPDATE: Wendy and Lucy is one of the other ones. And maybe that Brad Pitt one.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 12:33:52 pm by serious crayons »

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1184 on: December 15, 2008, 02:38:40 am »
Australia opens here on Wednesday. We'll be there. I'm really looking forward to this movie. I'm ready for a big sweeping romance.  :)

My husband and my kids watched Madagascar 2 yesterday. They said it was fantastic. Very well made and very funny.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1185 on: December 15, 2008, 11:57:27 am »
I saw THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL yesterday.  It's about what you expect nowadays of remakes.  Better special effects, characters and plot not as developed.  I'd give it a C.    The American Film Institute released the year's 10 best movies.  The only ones I've seen so far were Wall-E and The Dark Knight.  The other ones have not been released in my area.

LOS ANGELES — The Batman epic "The Dark Knight," the political biopic "Milk" and the gritty drama "The Wrestler" were among critical favorites that landed on the American Film Institute's list of the year's 10 best movies.

Also on AFI's list, released Sunday, were the animated "Wall-E," Clint Eastwood's "Gran Torino," the superhero blockbuster "Iron Man," the indie dramas "Frozen River" and "Wendy and Lucy," the adapted play "Frost/Nixon," and the Brad Pitt epic "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

Unlike other film honors, the institute does not rank films or pick one as the year's best. The filmmakers behind the top 10 choices will be honored at a luncheon Jan. 9.

Many of the films on the list picked up Golden Globe nominations last week and are expected to compete for Academy Awards. Oscar nominations are to be announced Jan. 22.

Among Globe best-drama nominees were "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," David Fincher's drama about a man who ages backward, starring Pitt and Cate Blanchett; and Ron Howard's "Frost/Nixon," based on the Peter Morgan play about the famous TV interview of Richard Nixon by David Frost, starring Frank Langella and Michael Sheen.

The AFI also released a top 10 list of TV shows for 2008, featuring "Breaking Bad," "In Treatment," "John Adams," "Life," "Lost," "Mad Men," "The Office," "Recount," "The Shield" and "The Wire."

The top 10 lists were chosen by two 13-member panels, one each for movies and television. Members included writer Mark Harris, filmmaker Robert Towne, and critics Leonard Maltin, Elvis Mitchell and Richard Schickel.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/15/afis-top-10-films-of-2008_n_150997.html

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #1186 on: December 15, 2008, 11:44:39 pm »
Well, they aren't exactly "charges." They're not public accusations, just our private assumptions based on things we've heard and/or observed -- including his own odd public behavior at times, such as his Oprah appearance. And they're not negative assumptions, as the word "charges" implies, except in the sense that it would be sad if he had to go through life not feeling free to be himself. I think most of us on a Brokeback Mountain website can relate to the pathos in that.

;D ;D ;D  The way the thread was referring to him was accusatory! "gay uniform fetish..."? The verbiage sounded like "charges" to me.

And, for a group who is ever so critical of anyone having "private assumptions based on things we've heard and/or observed" without factual documentation is more than a bit disengenuous, n'est pas?  ;)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1187 on: December 16, 2008, 05:58:43 am »
No takers for Synecdoche, hunh?  Roger Ebert loved it.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1188 on: December 16, 2008, 11:21:48 am »

I don't think it's even playing around here. I am off to see Milk tomorrow, however.

L

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1189 on: December 16, 2008, 11:56:21 am »

Because the reviews that I read were not very good, I've decided to wait for the DVD.  I'll check out what Ebert has to say, though, it might change my mind.

I thought I was mispronouncing the title, yes it's a new word for me, but I just checked and it turns out that I'm using the British pronunciation:  Sin-eck-dock.  The American is: sin-eck-dock-ee.