Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025033 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1290 on: January 05, 2009, 10:05:59 am »

Surfwise - Trailer #1                                                     (2:40)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLrx_QSd44E[/youtube]

Surfwise - Trailer #2                                                     (2:52)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN7s36Ht22o[/youtube]
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1291 on: January 05, 2009, 10:12:30 am »

Dog Tags Trailer                                                              (1:22)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcI6Gb2I9P4[/youtube]
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1292 on: January 05, 2009, 11:15:14 am »
WE OWN THE NIGHT - Joaquin Phoenix, Mark Walberg, Robert Duvall, Eva Mendez
Dreadful film. Obvious & predictable storyline with some embarrassingly bad dialogue.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #1293 on: January 05, 2009, 09:08:40 pm »
WE OWN THE NIGHT - Joaquin Phoenix, Mark Walberg, Robert Duvall, Eva Mendez
Dreadful film. Obvious & predictable storyline with some embarrassingly bad dialogue.

oh, I just saved this on to my DVR to watch....

is it at least pleasant to look at any of the aforementioned actors?

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1294 on: January 06, 2009, 12:15:58 am »
I just got back from seeing THE WRESTLER and I really, really enjoyed it.  It's an excellent film and I think Mickey Rourke will be the one to beat at the oscars. 

Some trivia: 
Apparently, Rourke and Bruce Springsteen, who sings the song that plays over the closing credits, worked pro-bono on the project.
Originally, sad sack Nicholas Cage was set to play the lead. (but I guess he wanted to get payed  :laugh:  ;) )

I'm excited about seeing this tomorrow nite!! So glad it's not Nicholas Cage...if it were, I'd pass!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1295 on: January 06, 2009, 10:12:07 am »
I like Nicolas Cage OK, but to me Mickey Rourke's kind of disturbing visage and backstory enhance the power of the movie (judging from the trailer).

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1296 on: January 06, 2009, 12:53:42 pm »
oh, I just saved this on to my DVR to watch....

is it at least pleasant to look at any of the aforementioned actors?

I was kind of harsh wasn't I.  The movie starts off pretty good. a kind of cross between Eastern Promises and The Departed.  Joaquin is pretty good in it and he has a couple of steamy scenes with Eva, who is gorgeous.  For me the story fell apart at around the mid-point, something happened that completely took me out of the movie and I didn't manage to get back in, but I can't blame the actors, they did their best.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1297 on: January 06, 2009, 12:56:34 pm »
I'm excited about seeing this tomorrow nite!! So glad it's not Nicholas Cage...if it were, I'd pass!!

You and me both, lol!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1298 on: January 10, 2009, 04:23:42 pm »
Finally saw the movie Valkyrie, for those of you who can stomach Tom Cruise, it was a very good movie and I do recommend it.  The Brits tone down their accents, so next to no actor has a 'German' accent.  The acting is flawless, the story tight and pacing swift - this isn't a 3 hour historical epic - and the director did such a good job of telling the story that even I was convinced at one point that they actually had a chance.  But we all know how it ends and you're left wondering what might have been.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1299 on: January 10, 2009, 09:44:22 pm »
Finally saw the movie Valkyrie, for those of you who can stomach Tom Cruise, it was a very good movie and I do recommend it.  The Brits tone down their accents, so next to no actor has a 'German' accent.  The acting is flawless, the story tight and pacing swift - this isn't a 3 hour historical epic - and the director did such a good job of telling the story that even I was convinced at one point that they actually had a chance.  But we all know how it ends and you're left wondering what might have been.

I just got back from Valkyrie myself. I wasn't quite as enthusiastic as you, Del, but I liked it well enough. It seemed slow for a while, and then the end was pretty bleak. (Spoiler alert -- they did not succeed in killing Hitler.) But it was very suspenseful in parts.

I myself have no trouble stomaching Tom Cruise, except in real life. And there were some other interesting actors in it, too. I always enjoy Tom Wilkinson. And nice to see Kenneth Branagh again! What's he been doing in recent years, anyway?