Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1041673 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1430 on: April 14, 2009, 09:21:37 am »
I saw I Love You, Man last week and I loved it, man. Well, liked it anyway. It's not high art, but it's cute and funny. Paul Rudd and Jason Segal were both good.

I liked how it subtly, tacitly, subverted some gay stereotypes. Paul Rudd's character, a straight guy, gets along well only with women. He comes home and makes a big tray of root beer floats for his fiancée and her friends -- complete with chocolate straws -- but he's awkward around guys. His brother, Andy Samberg, is gay, but he is closer to their traditional dad and gets along much better with guys in general, including straight men.

Unfortunately the women characters, as usual in this kind of movie, were fairly dull. Even those who were potentially funny didn't get much to do. Maybe someday they'll start making comedies in which women get to say funny things, too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:48:15 pm by serious crayons »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1431 on: April 14, 2009, 11:41:17 am »
K, I'm really glad you told us about I Love You, Man.  I had made a judgment, based on the title, and who the two main actors are, that  the phrase "I love you, man," was a line from the movie, where stoners rasp that out semi-facetiously with a big bong hit escaping their lungs.  Not that there might be anything wrong with that, but I wasn't hurrying to find out more.  I assumed, and you know what assuming can get a person.

Now I look forward seeing it. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1432 on: April 14, 2009, 12:40:43 pm »
K, I'm really glad you told us about I Love You, Man.  I had made a judgment, based on the title, and who the two main actors are, that  the phrase "I love you, man," was a line from the movie, where stoners rasp that out semi-facetiously with a big bong hit escaping their lungs.  Not that there might be anything wrong with that, but I wasn't hurrying to find out more.  I assumed, and you know what assuming can get a person.

Now I look forward seeing it. 

Well, the camera lens does fall upon a bong at one point, but it doesn't get used. And I should mention that a smattering of the jokes do not meet my standards for tastefulness. But overall, I found it likable. I hope you do, too!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1433 on: April 15, 2009, 03:59:23 am »
Well, the camera lens does fall upon a bong at one point, but it doesn't get used. And I should mention that a smattering of the jokes do not meet my standards for tastefulness. But overall, I found it likable. I hope you do, too!

A smatterin' a smut.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1434 on: April 25, 2009, 11:53:33 pm »
I had a satisfying experience last night.  I and four other women have recently started a once a month movie and pizza night.  Last night was our second time together, and I was theone who brought the movie.  We watched one of my very favorites - Lone Star by John Sayles.  I have tried to turn many people onto it, but you know, you can't make people watch a movie.  But you can if it's your turn to choose the film for pizza and movie night!  I'm happy to tell you that without exception the other four loved it.  What a great movie.  Best dialogue and plot ever. 

Lone Star (1996)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0116905/

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1435 on: April 26, 2009, 10:51:34 am »
What a great movie.  Best dialogue and plot ever. 

Lone Star (1996)

I've seen this and remember liking it, but not much else. Maybe I'll put it in my queue. I love John Sayles. One of the few people who has managed to juggle a movie career and writing. Him and Nora Ephron and ...?

Meanwhile, I saw State of Play yesterday and liked it a lot. It's just a well done traditional thriller in the mode, as some critics have said, of the old 1970s thrillers. I always like Russell Crowe, as well as cast-against-type Jason Bateman and Jeff Daniels.

It's set against a backdrop of the collapse of the newspaper industry, and every time that was mentioned I teared up.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1436 on: April 26, 2009, 12:45:21 pm »
I've seen this and remember liking it, but not much else. Maybe I'll put it in my queue. I love John Sayles. One of the few people who has managed to juggle a movie career and writing. Him and Nora Ephron and ...?

Meanwhile, I saw State of Play yesterday and liked it a lot. It's just a well done traditional thriller in the mode, as some critics have said, of the old 1970s thrillers. I always like Russell Crowe, as well as cast-against-type Jason Bateman and Jeff Daniels.

It's set against a backdrop of the collapse of the newspaper industry, and every time that was mentioned I teared up.

I'm curious which type Jason Bateman is cast against in this movie.  The hapless straight man of Arrested Development?  The manipulative schemer of The Ex

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1437 on: April 26, 2009, 12:49:40 pm »
Hey, I  just went and looked at the IMDb page for State of Play.  David Harbour is in it.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1438 on: April 26, 2009, 12:54:30 pm »

I'm curious which type Jason Bateman is cast against in this movie.  The hapless straight man of Arrested Development?  The manipulative schemer of The Ex

The personable marketing professional of Hancock. This time he's an unpersonable marketing professional.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1439 on: April 26, 2009, 01:40:13 pm »
I had a satisfying experience last night.  I and four other women have recently started a once a month movie and pizza night.  Last night was our second time together, and I was theone who brought the movie.  We watched one of my very favorites - Lone Star by John Sayles.  I have tried to turn many people onto it, but you know, you can't make people watch a movie.  But you can if it's your turn to choose the film for pizza and movie night!  I'm happy to tell you that without exception the other four loved it.  What a great movie.  Best dialogue and plot ever. 

Lone Star (1996)
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0116905/

I rented this a few years back.  Very good.  Very understated story, but interesting.  Wonderful acting all the way around.  And I was amused as a Texan that the town was sooooooooo small that they had to send to a larger town - San Marcos - for help.  I've lived in San Marcos.  It isn't much of a town either.   :laugh: