Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025936 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1450 on: July 21, 2009, 04:01:33 pm »
After seeing this post, I had to look up Chad Allen's bio. What an interesting actor. Apparently he played Matthew Cooper on Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman which I watched regularly. But I don't remember him. Here's a quote from Chad:

"[Until Brokeback Mountain (2005)] there was a huge fear or belief that you couldn't tell a story with a gay hero and have it make money. A well-made movie with a good story trumps everything. It's not just a victory for gay rights; it's a victory for humanity."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1451 on: July 21, 2009, 04:25:41 pm »
After seeing this post, I had to look up Chad Allen's bio. What an interesting actor. Apparently he played Matthew Cooper on Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman which I watched regularly. But I don't remember him. Here's a quote from Chad:

"[Until Brokeback Mountain (2005)] there was a huge fear or belief that you couldn't tell a story with a gay hero and have it make money. A well-made movie with a good story trumps everything. It's not just a victory for gay rights; it's a victory for humanity."

I never watched that show so I'm not sure when I became aware of him.  He's one of the few 'christians' that I respect in show business .

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1452 on: August 09, 2009, 05:16:44 pm »
It's on my list too! Thank you so much, oilgun, for your outstanding movie recommendations. We should git you out a those oilfields and into the movie theater on a regular basis, on a professional basis! (Who knows, you probably run the Toronto Film Festival and your oilgun tag is a cover LOL!)

Finally, it's the Denver Intl. Film Festival, and my list of films to see includes Laurel Canyon, Wendy and Lucy, The Eternal City, The Hustler, and, on closing night, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kit and Wild Combination: a Portrait of Arthur Russell. I wish I were seeing more international films, so I'll try to add to this list as/if I get more time!

Ten months later, I finally get to see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid! It was playing at the Central City, Colorado, Opera House (a historic venue dating from the Colorado Gold Rush) so EDelMar and I tooled up there to see it in wide screen. Sundance was definitely a man in the mold of Ennis, while Paul Newman as Butch was a Jackian character. Sundance even told Butch more than once: "You keep thinking, that's what you do best."

An inadvertently funny passage came late in the movie when Etta, Sundance's girlfriend as played by Katherine Ross, kept saying, "There are other ways to go straight" and the camera zoomed in on Butch and Sundance looking at each other intently. I could just imagine them telepathing to each other, "Why would we want to do that?!???
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #1453 on: August 09, 2009, 05:46:13 pm »

I never watched that show so I'm not sure when I became aware of him.  He's one of the few 'christians' that I respect in show business .

Oh, I remember Matthew. I was an avid Dr Quinn viewer back in the days. I haven´t seen him in anything since, though.
I´ll try to check out the new movie

Offline BelAir

« Reply #1454 on: September 26, 2009, 09:46:13 am »
What happened to this thread???  I want to go to the theater and need advice on what to see...

(maybe there's just nothing good to see...?)

anyhoo, i'm considering Adam, 9, District 9, and 500 Days of Summer...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1455 on: September 26, 2009, 12:16:11 pm »
What happened to this thread???  I want to go to the theater and need advice on what to see...

(maybe there's just nothing good to see...?)

anyhoo, i'm considering Adam, 9, District 9, and 500 Days of Summer...

I have only seen the last two. District  9 is one of my favorite movies of the past six months or so. Very original and compelling. 500 Days ... was just OK. I do like both Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel but, IMO, they aren't quite as cute as the movie thinks they are.

Extract was kind of cute and charming, I thought.

I really want to see The Informant!

Offline BelAir

« Reply #1456 on: September 26, 2009, 06:49:40 pm »
I have only seen the last two. District  9 is one of my favorite movies of the past six months or so. Very original and compelling. 500 Days ... was just OK. I do like both Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel but, IMO, they aren't quite as cute as the movie thinks they are.

Extract was kind of cute and charming, I thought.

I really want to see The Informant!

I opted for Adam.  Rotten Tomatoes made me think District 9 was too bloody for me to see on the big screen.  Adam was also showing at the local independent theater, whereas all the others were at the mall mogul.

I thought it was pretty good.  Rushed at the end a bit.  Was crazy to hear Rose Byrne without the Australian accent...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1457 on: October 02, 2009, 11:18:30 pm »
Ye gods.

Just came back from seeing District 9

Have no idea why the critics think this movie is any good.  I'd give it a 4.5 out of 10 and that's for the acting and what it tried to do..

It's a movie that

A) was a favor done by Peter Jackson for a friend

or

B) a movie that got visited half-way through by the studio heads who saw what had been done and said CHANGE IT!

Fairly good, but heavy-handed, beat-you-over-the-head political allegory for the first hour that devolved into a buddy-GI Joe versus Cobra summer fanboy movie for the last hour with gore and cool weapons and even a pro-life Matrix like scene AND a racist scene to boot.

Gag.  Do NOT recommend this.  My friend and I decided on this movie, knowing nothing other than the A rating given it by critics.  We wanted to avoid grossness and gore so we didn't go see Inglorious Basterds.

We were literally nauseous and almost walked out.  :P  Don't waste your time or money.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1458 on: October 02, 2009, 11:48:05 pm »
District 9 was one of my favorite movies of the summer! Highly original, fascinating, realistic (within its parameters), well-acted, scary, kind of poignant.

Inglorious Basterds ... interesting in parts, disgusting and stupid in others. Christoph Walz is fantastic as the evil Nazi guy. The British film critic character (who was that?) was good, too. Everyone else ... ehh.

So I guess you just never know!  :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1459 on: October 03, 2009, 12:00:31 am »
District 9 was one of my favorite movies of the summer! Highly original, fascinating, realistic (within its parameters), well-acted, scary, kind of poignant

So I guess you just never know!  :laugh:

Really?  We didn't think it original at all

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Star Trek has done 'aliens as allegorical ghetto-ized people' in many of their episodes.  There was even a movie and TV series based on a similar theme (James Caan was in the movie, I don't remember the name).  The GI Joe versus Cobra knockoff of Aliens with the powersuit at the end was ridiculously fanboyish.  The PC-correct it's OK to boo hiss pro-apartheid white people so it was set in South Africa, was a move so heavy handed it was laughable, along with the bad conscienceless mercs - Blackwater anyone? - the pro-life Matrix-like scene with the lead pulling the plug on babies and the horrible racist scenes - aren't all Nigerians thugs and whores and witchdoctors who voodoo and eat their victims?  Gag.

Then of course the lack of continuity scenes - he grew a full-fledged alien hand in 30 minutes but the rest of him takes more than three days?  He says they're trapped and it's a dead end, but actually no, if you follow Christopher there's an exit just there.  Since when does fuel change someone genetically?  How did he come up with pocket money to buy food much less weapons?  The questions that don't get asked are legion.  Why was one alien and his son smarter than all the other aliens?  Why did they come?  Were they running?  Did they get lost?  Why didn't they ask for help to leave?  Why aren't scientists and the military tearing apart the ship to see how it works?  None of these questions are asked or answered.  He says he'll be back in 3 years?  Just the perfect amount of time to make a movie sequel.  What was his son and he going to eat for those years?  They were starving when they arrived.  It was just terrible.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 04:36:16 pm by delalluvia »