Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1036192 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1510 on: December 19, 2009, 06:06:35 pm »
RUN, do not walk, to see AVATAR!

I don't say that very often, but I was completely enthralled by this spectacle of a movie.  I gasped, I laughed and I even shed a tear or two.  Of course, this being Cameron, the script is a bit weak  but I didn't even care. 

Yes, Blue is the new Sexy (and the new Green)

(I can't even imagine conservatives hating it, but they probably will.   ;))

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1511 on: December 19, 2009, 06:21:53 pm »
New York Times film critic Manohla Dargis was interviewed on Jezebel a couple of days ago. It's a good interview overall, but here's an excerpt of particular interest to Brokies:

Let's acknowledge that the Oscars are bullshit and we hate them. But they are important commercially... I've learned to never underestimate the academy's bad taste. Crash as best picture? What the fuck.

http://jezebel.com/5426065/fuck-them-times-critic-on-hollywood-women--why-romantic-comedies-suck

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1512 on: December 19, 2009, 07:55:51 pm »
We, the husband, the son and your's truly, saw it this evening and it is GOOD! Go and see it folks. We didn't see it in 3D since I only can see with one eye.
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1513 on: December 19, 2009, 09:07:05 pm »
We, the husband, the son and your's truly, saw it this evening and it is GOOD! Go and see it folks. We didn't see it in 3D since I only can see with one eye.

I'm so glad you liked it, Berit!

I was just telling my friend - I called everyone, lol! - that the film would be just as good without the 3D effect because it's not done in a gimmicky manner, it just is.  I'm sure the film would still be visually stunning in 2D.

One thing that bothered me though was Sam Worthington's voice when he was Nav'i-Jake.  It kept reminding me of Mel Gibson!  Ewww!  :laugh:

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1514 on: January 01, 2010, 07:36:00 pm »
I just saw AN EDUCATION and quite enjoyed it , it has a very intelligent script and it's chock-full of wonderful performances, the young lead is a revelation.  Oh and I didn't realize that Rosamund Pike was in it and I love her!  Not sure why they cast Peter Sarsgaard but he seemed fine in the role, I can't really judge how good his accent is, though.  I kept thinking Dominic Cooper should have had the role.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1515 on: January 01, 2010, 09:29:52 pm »
I just saw AN EDUCATION and quite enjoyed it , it has a very intelligent script and it's chock-full of wonderful performances, the young lead is a revelation.  Oh and I didn't realize that Rosamund Pike was in it and I love her!  Not sure why they cast Peter Sarsgaard but he seemed fine in the role, I can't really judge how good his accent is, though.  I kept thinking Dominic Cooper should have had the role.

I'd forgotten about this one. Thanks to your review, it's on my list.

Might have to wait for the January doldrums and/or DVD, though. I still have to catch Avatar and Up in the Air!

I saw It's Complicated a few nights ago and unexpectedly liked it. I feared there'd be too much older-woman-wish-fulfillment content, which sometimes gets so outlandish that it has started really getting on my nerves. While was "aspirational," it seemed reasonably natural in the context of the plot.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1516 on: January 01, 2010, 09:38:45 pm »
I saw Up in the Air yesterday, and am glad I did, although - ugh - Vera Farmiga's haircut and make up were very irritating.   

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1517 on: January 01, 2010, 09:43:36 pm »
I saw Up in the Air yesterday, and am glad I did, although - ugh - Vera Farmiga's haircut and make up were very irritating.   

I haven't seen Up in the Air, but I recently wracked my brain, because the name Vera Farmiga sounded so familiar. Then I realized that she played Caitlin opposite Heath in the series "Roar".

Vera Farmiga, at Heath's left

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1518 on: January 01, 2010, 09:53:02 pm »
I haven't seen Up in the Air, but I recently wracked my brain, because the name Vera Farmiga sounded so familiar. Then I realized that she played Caitlin opposite Heath in the series "Roar".

Vera Farmiga, at Heath's left

Yes, it's part of why I wanted to see it.  I really enjoyed her in Roar.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1519 on: January 02, 2010, 10:58:39 am »

Yes, it's part of why I wanted to see it.  I really enjoyed her in Roar.

That's funny, I didn't even recognize her.  Maybe it's because I thought she was pretty weak in ROAR (Plus she was a damn Xian, lol!) but I did like her in UP IN THE AIR.