Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1041239 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1540 on: January 12, 2010, 12:46:28 am »
I've just returned from seeing Avatar  in 3-D and was absolutely blown away. It is an amazing movie and I will be returning to see it again. I sat near the front and allowed myself to become totally enveloped within the experience. I was thrilled to see fellow-Aussie, Sam Worthington, as Jake Sully:

Sam Worthington
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1541 on: January 12, 2010, 12:51:32 am »
I've just returned from seeing Avatar  in 3-D and was absolutely blown away. It is an amazing movie and I will be returning to see it again. I sat near the front and allowed myself to become totally enveloped within the experience. I was thrilled to see fellow-Aussie, Sam Worthington, as Jake Sully:

Sam Worthington

Rats! Just checked Wikipedia and found Sam was actually born in England. He came to Australia with his family when he was a child and must be an Australian citizen now, because Wiki refers to him as an "Australian actor." The family settled in Perth, Western Australia. Same place Heath grew up. Small world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Worthington
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1542 on: January 12, 2010, 06:38:54 am »
Well, if it walks like a duck--!  :D

Who knew??!!

Me!  I love woad.  Very cool stuff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1543 on: January 12, 2010, 09:21:29 am »
I've just returned from seeing Avatar  in 3-D and was absolutely blown away. It is an amazing movie and I will be returning to see it again. I sat near the front and allowed myself to become totally enveloped within the experience. I was thrilled to see fellow-Aussie, Sam Worthington, as Jake Sully:

I'd never heard of him before, but I liked him -- both in the regular form and the blue one.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1544 on: January 12, 2010, 10:08:47 am »

I'd never heard of him before, but I liked him -- both in the regular form and the blue one.

I liked Sam Worthington--the only thing or person I liked in the disaster that was Terminator Salvation --feh! What an ignominious end to a glorious original film, series, concept.

Anyway--Whups! Navisex! Fanfic on the starboard bow, captain!

http://gawker.com/5445676/the-avatar-navi-sex-scene-revealed

The Avatar Na'vi Sex Scene Revealed

Our friends at Movieline noticed that the sex scene between Jake and Neytiri that was axed
from the movie is in the script Fox posted online. The Na'vi don't have sex like humans—they
have "the ultimate intimacy." No, these giant blue creatures don't need genitals (so then why
the loincloths?) because they have their pony tail-like "queues" to mesh together. Riding your
woman is just like riding a banshee, except the wind isn't in your face. Check out the dirtiest
bits from page 90 of the script below. It's almost enough to...uh, make your hair stand on end.

Send an email to Brian Moylan, the author of this post, at [email protected].

Also:

http://www.pandorapedia.com/doku.php
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1545 on: January 12, 2010, 11:40:31 am »
I'd never heard of him before.

Me, neither, until I saw a newspaper article back in the fall, when they were really starting to hype the movie. Cute and manly. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1546 on: January 12, 2010, 02:04:48 pm »
Saw Sherlock Holmes  yesterday.

Absolutely fabulous!   :D

Don't miss it.

Yes to all this.  :)  I enjoyed it a great deal.
RDJ's Sherlock Holmes was basically as badass as I've always wanted Holmes to be.  And JL was the most refreshing, fun Watson I've seen yet.
And the chemistry between them - worked.  In short, the casting was great.
Recommended!

Next up for me - Avatar!  I can't wait actually.
I have avoided all spoilers pretty well so far.  Except this morning I was reading the Metro paper and there was an article in there about a group of people saying that Avatar is racist.  I didn't get into it because I want no spoilers.  But... racist against who? the blue people?  
 Anyway, don't answer that. lol.  Can't wait to see it this weekend!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1547 on: January 12, 2010, 04:55:36 pm »
Yes to all this.  :)  I enjoyed it a great deal.
RDJ's Sherlock Holmes was basically as badass as I've always wanted Holmes to be.  And JL was the most refreshing, fun Watson I've seen yet.
And the chemistry between them - worked.  In short, the casting was great.
Recommended!

Ditto to all of this!  :D

Next up for me - Avatar!  I can't wait actually.

Milli, you will love it. The visual effects are amazing, and based on what I have seen of your own art, I would think very much your taste.

I have avoided all spoilers pretty well so far.  Except this morning I was reading the Metro paper and there was an article in there about a group of people saying that Avatar is racist.  I didn't get into it because I want no spoilers.  But... racist against who? the blue people?  
 Anyway, don't answer that. lol.  Can't wait to see it this weekend!

I'm familiar with this accusation. It has to do with the way the plot is structured. I'll say no more, unless you want me to. To me, the accusation has a grain of truth but it's a larger problem in Hollywood, not just with this film, and it's not a big enough problem to reduce my enjoyment of the film.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #1548 on: January 13, 2010, 09:35:59 am »

I too had never heard of Sam. These quotes from his Wiki bio are interesting:

"He was 19 and working as a bricklayer when he auditioned for the National Institute of Dramatic Art in Sydney (NIDA) and was accepted, with scholarship."

and

"When he was around 30 years old, he sold most of his possessions and ended up with around $2,000 to his name. He then purchased a car with the money and lived in it for a period of time. He analogously equated his actions to hitting Control-Alt-Delete on a computer. He subsequently got a place to live following his successful audition and signing to the Avatar film project."

I'm looking forward to seeing Sam in his next big starring role as Perseus in "Clash of the Titans."

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1549 on: January 13, 2010, 10:47:09 am »
I too had never heard of Sam. These quotes from his Wiki bio are interesting:

"He was 19 and working as a bricklayer when he auditioned for the National Institute of Dramatic Art in Sydney (NIDA) and was accepted, with scholarship."

and

"When he was around 30 years old, he sold most of his possessions and ended up with around $2,000 to his name. He then purchased a car with the money and lived in it for a period of time. He analogously equated his actions to hitting Control-Alt-Delete on a computer. He subsequently got a place to live following his successful audition and signing to the Avatar film project."

I'm looking forward to seeing Sam in his next big starring role as Perseus in "Clash of the Titans."

In the meantime you should rent the Aussie film Somersault, that's when I discovered this hottie.  It also stars Abbey Cornish who was the reason for my renting it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381429/

And speaking of Australians, the other night I caught the TV show The Flight of the Conchords and it was the episode when Jemaine accidently sleeps with an Australian woman.  he wakes up and the first thing he sees is a poster for Men at Work, the blanket he's under has an Australian flag design, he tries to sneak out and next to the door there's a poster of kangaroos.  It's hilarious!  Of course his friends shun him because they can't accept the mixed race relationship.  "Think of the children you'll have,destined to go from city to city, looking for the perfect wave."