Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1036463 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1860 on: February 27, 2012, 01:38:20 am »
Hurrah for Meryl winning her third Oscar!  Now I have to get out there and see "The Iron Lady."  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1861 on: February 27, 2012, 01:52:05 am »
Hurrah for Meryl winning her third Oscar!  Now I have to get out there and see "The Iron Lady."  8)

I wouldn't rush if I were you, she's the only good thing in it.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1862 on: March 11, 2012, 03:27:02 pm »
Oooh, I can't wait for this one!

Tom Gustafson's musical drama beat out the favorites in a surprising awards ceremony outcome at the annual film festival.

GUADALAJARA, Mexico -- Tom Gustafson's musical drama Mariachi Gringo pulled off a big upset on Saturday at the Guadalajara Film Festival, winning best Mexican picture here in the nation's mariachi capital.
Many festival goers saw Rodrigo Pla's La Demora (The Delay) and Gabriel Marino's feature debut Un Mundo Secreto (A Secret World), both of which participated at the recent Berlin Film Festival, as favorites going in to Saturday's awards ceremony.
But Mariachi Gringo, the sophomore film of New York-based director Gustafson (Were the World Mine), won not only best Mexican feature but also best actress for Martha Higareda. The story revolves around a gringo who moves to Guadalajara to learn how to play mariachi music. The film has no sales agent nor distribution deals in place.
[...]

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mariachi-gringo-guadalajara-film-festival-winners-298298

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjXdxj4_b3I[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:36:17 pm by oilgun »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1863 on: March 11, 2012, 11:03:33 pm »
Thanks, Gil.  I'm a big Were the World Mine fan--saw it at the Provincetown film festival in 2008, and Gustafson was there to introduce it. 

So, I just watched the clip, and said to myself, That's Jimmy Olsen from Smallville.  Wrong.  That's his twin!  Shawn Ashmore is in Mariachi Gringo and his twin Aaron Ashmore was Jimmy Olsen.  Freaky!

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1864 on: March 21, 2012, 10:52:03 pm »
Thanks, Gil.  I'm a big Were the World Mine fan--saw it at the Provincetown film festival in 2008, and Gustafson was there to introduce it. 

So, I just watched the clip, and said to myself, That's Jimmy Olsen from Smallville.  Wrong.  That's his twin!  Shawn Ashmore is in Mariachi Gringo and his twin Aaron Ashmore was Jimmy Olsen.  Freaky!

I always confuse those two cuties.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1865 on: March 28, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »
   This is the first time I have heard about that movie.  I am very intrigued.  It sounds good.

That is a funny line, about the children and the navel.  I think I will try and rent that.

Thanks for the tip Jeff.  Oh by the way, is it as long as GWTW?  That movie takes some time commitment. 

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1866 on: March 28, 2012, 06:56:02 pm »
  Thanks for the tip Jeff.  Oh by the way, is it as long as GWTW?  That movie takes some time commitment. 

Heavens, it's been so long since I posted on this thread I had to go back to see if I could figure out which movie. Il Gattopardo? It's been a while now since I saw it, but I think I remember that it was a full-evening movie.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1867 on: April 24, 2012, 08:13:01 pm »
I've always been a secret fan of Jean-Claude Van Damme but I never knew he had a son who is also an actor.  And he's absolutely adorable!  Meet Kristopher van Varenberg:

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1868 on: April 24, 2012, 09:22:31 pm »

Last weekend I saw THE CABIN THE WOODS and really enjoyed it!  Divulging anything would be cruel so all i can say is there is a scene with a shirtless (pre-Thor) Chris Hemsworth (natch).
I was a bit worried because the film was shelved for a couple years.  Well, it's a wonderfully entertaining film, kind of like SCREAM, but even better.  It scores a healthy 91% at Rotten Tomatoes.  It's pretty damn violent and very bloody and gory but it's clever, scary and funny. Loved it!

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #1869 on: April 24, 2012, 10:08:19 pm »
I've always been a secret fan of Jean-Claude Van Damme but I never knew he had a son who is also an actor. 

Have you seen his autobiographical DVD, which is called JCVD?  I borrowed it from library, but you might find it on Netflix or the like.  It was surprisingly good and insightful.  He is quite a man, not just some dumb pile of muscles.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...