Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1035928 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #2010 on: August 06, 2013, 09:13:56 am »
Of course, I can never think about Marilyn Manson without thinking about the ... murse ... that Henry brought with him on Roundup back in '08--and the famous exploding container of glitter.  :)

Good memories of good times with nice people. ...  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2011 on: August 06, 2013, 03:33:32 pm »
It's one of the funny quirks of the Brokie community... I know who Henry is and I remember lots of people talking about meeting him on trips (etc.), but we've never met and I don't think I've ever even communicated with him online anywhere. 

LOL, I feel like I really need to meet Henry. It sounds like we might have a bit in common.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2012 on: August 10, 2013, 09:50:20 pm »
Of course, I can never think about Marilyn Manson without thinking about the ... murse ... that Henry brought with him on Roundup back in '08--and the famous exploding container of glitter.  :)

Good memories of good times with nice people. ...  :)

Yup!  The explosion all over our bathroom!  LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2013 on: August 10, 2013, 10:31:04 pm »
OMG, now I need to know... what happened with the glitter... Need the full story! :D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #2014 on: August 10, 2013, 10:58:22 pm »
 :laugh:

Henry and I were rooming together, I got there first, and was hanging out with the Brokies when Henry showed up. 

I helped him with his bags, and he went into the bathroom with his toiletries, and one of the containers with his glitter exploded, we had glitter everywhere.  :laugh:  We assumed that it was due to the air pressure change on the plane.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2015 on: August 10, 2013, 11:29:52 pm »
It was just loose powder glitter?  Probably the cap was just off... Unless it was a gel, then yeah, it could have exploded due to pressure changes.

Haha!!! I love how we've turned this thread into a discussion about glitter! :D

Anyway... more on the Depp/ Manson make-up thing.  This is being discussed kind of a lot in the Manson fandom lately so it's on my mind.

I really never knew how much they are friends until I started looking into ths. I also never realized that Depp could play guitar (certianly not to the level where he could participate in playing at a MM show - based on youtubes he did a serviceable job, though Twiggy and Fred were there to pick up the slack).  I find it interesting how much Depp often seems to model his characters on rock stars (or at least to some extent).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2016 on: August 12, 2013, 09:45:22 am »
 I find it interesting how much Depp often seems to model his characters on rock stars (or at least to some extent).

I think he's kind of a rock-star wannabe.

I read a magazine piece a year or so ago in which he interviewed Patti Smith. I've never been much of a Patti Smith fan (I know, sacrilege  ::)), and overall I found the piece annoying and pretentious. I've always felt that way about Smith, and the article made me feel that way about Depp as well

But I am, of course, a huge Keith Richards' fan. Whatever his faults, Keith has never struck me as at all pretentious (one of my least favorite faults). So that relationship redeems Depp for me, even if it does seem to be a sort of shorthand way to acquire cool-by-association.

A few years back, when Depp was up against Sean Penn for an Oscar (I think), I read a magazine article arguing that Depp was actually the better actor of the two because he had taken a lightweight commercial character like Capt. Jack Sparrow and made it into something complex and interesting yet still comic and light, whereas Penn always had to go the standard actorly route of being all intense and serious and tortured and whatnot. At the time, I was thoroughly convinced. I thought the writer had an excellent point.

In the years since then, though, Depp has continued taking lightweight commercial jokey roles. I don't see him ever even attempting any of the deeper, more serious roles that are Penn's territory (and of course, many other actors'). So now my view has shifted again.

There you go -- more than you wanted to hear about my opinions re Johnny Depp!  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #2017 on: August 15, 2013, 10:50:54 am »
I watched two DVDs yesterday.

Stonewall Uprising - a documentary about the Stonewall riots in '69.  The title comes from one of the interviewees description that it wasn't a riot to him, but an uprising, a group of people rising up to fight for their rights.   Very well made documentary that starts with the history of the gay scene in NYC pre-Stonewall, vintage scenes from anti-gay propaganda films, interviews with people from that time frame, and who were at the Stonewall the night it happened.   Interviewees included Mayor Koch (who admits to police entrapment of gay people) and one of the police who raided the bar that night.

Small Town Gay Bar - another documentary, this film follows twoo gay bars in the rural south, and their clientele.  The film also puts a spotlight on the murder of Scotty Joe Weaver.  The film depicts the Rumors and a change in ownership, Crossroads Estates and its destruction.   STGB also includes interviews with Tim Wildman from the AFA (American Family Association) and Fred Phellps from Westboro Baptist Church.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2018 on: August 23, 2013, 08:01:42 pm »
I think he's kind of a rock-star wannabe.

I read a magazine piece a year or so ago in which he interviewed Patti Smith. I've never been much of a Patti Smith fan (I know, sacrilege  ::)), and overall I found the piece annoying and pretentious. I've always felt that way about Smith, and the article made me feel that way about Depp as well

But I am, of course, a huge Keith Richards' fan. Whatever his faults, Keith has never struck me as at all pretentious (one of my least favorite faults). So that relationship redeems Depp for me, even if it does seem to be a sort of shorthand way to acquire cool-by-association.

A few years back, when Depp was up against Sean Penn for an Oscar (I think), I read a magazine article arguing that Depp was actually the better actor of the two because he had taken a lightweight commercial character like Capt. Jack Sparrow and made it into something complex and interesting yet still comic and light, whereas Penn always had to go the standard actorly route of being all intense and serious and tortured and whatnot. At the time, I was thoroughly convinced. I thought the writer had an excellent point.

In the years since then, though, Depp has continued taking lightweight commercial jokey roles. I don't see him ever even attempting any of the deeper, more serious roles that are Penn's territory (and of course, many other actors'). So now my view has shifted again.

There you go -- more than you wanted to hear about my opinions re Johnny Depp!  :laugh:

When Johnny came to California, it was to be a musician, not an actor.  Remember, he owned the Viper Club and used to played there fairly often.[/size]

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2019 on: August 24, 2013, 10:44:05 am »
When Johnny came to California, it was to be a musician, not an actor.  Remember, he owned the Viper Club and used to played there fairly often.

Good thing he kept his day job.