Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022308 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #220 on: August 04, 2007, 02:29:35 pm »
Sunshine sounds/reads pretty spooky.  Something I'd like to see.

Anyone seen Goya's Ghost?  The cast and direction is stellar (well maybe except for Randy Quaid).  8)

A biographical tale told through the eyes of celebrated Spanish painter Francisco Goya, whose paintings are best known for their brutality and the colorful depictions of life during the Spanish Inquisition. The drama unfolds as Brother Lorenzo, an enigmatic member of the powerful Spanish clergy, becomes infatuated with Goya⿿s beautiful teenage muse, Ines.

Cast and Credits
Starring:    Javier Bardem, Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard, Randy Quaid, Jose Luis Gomez
Directed by:    Milos Forman

Or, since I'm on a French kick for my Paris trip La Vie en Rose?

From the slums of Paris to the limelight of New York, Edith Piaf's life was a battle to sing and survive, live and love. Raised in poverty, Edith's magical voice and her passionate romances and friendships with the greatest names of the period - Yves Montand, Jean Cocteau, Charles Aznavour, Marlene Dietrich, Marcel Cerdan and others - made her a star all around the world. But in her audacious attempt to tame her tragic destiny, the Little Sparrow - her nickname - flew so high she could not fail to burn her wings.

Both look amazing.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #221 on: August 04, 2007, 05:39:33 pm »
I loved how Waitress  used pies as a metaphor for Jenna's life - I Hate My Husband pie, I Don't Want Earl's Baby pie, Baby Screaming Its Head Off in the Middle of the Night and Ruining My Life pie. I really enjoyed its quirkiness and its message, which was in Andy Griffith's words: "Start fresh. It’s never too late."

I haven't seen Waitress but my mother and sister have. There is a potato masher that makes an appearance during the credits and one or two other times in the movie. It is called "My Mother's Potato Masher" and is really made by my mother. You can read about it here:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=980DEED91F39F932A15752C1A962948260

Unfortunately, you can't order the potato masher from Mom anymore (address that is in the article) as she sold the business a few years ago. I searched for a place to order it online but didn't find anything. I am not sure of the current status of the business.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #222 on: August 11, 2007, 05:30:40 pm »
Just came from seeing the The Bourne Ultimatum.

For what it is, an action-packed thriller?  Excellent.  Very good.  I recommend it if you've been following the series.

Pacing and action is breathtaking and I appreciate how the fighting is not really focused on as it was the two previous movies, story is excellent, even though they have the inevitable plot holes.  Nice sense of symmetry to the movie with its choices of echoing images and dialogue and dovetailing one movie from the last.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:47:36 pm by delalluvia »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #223 on: August 11, 2007, 07:35:27 pm »
Then you'd like him in Cellular.  It's actually an fun little thriller and he was just adorable in it!

I love Cellular. I've seen it three times, which prior to BBM was as often as I ever saw a movie. I like it better than Speed, which it sort of resembles. I like Speed, too, but Cellular is wittier. And Chris Evans is great!

Just after I saw it the first time, in the theater, a friend called me and said she was urging everyone she knew to go out and see What the (bleep) do we know? I told her I was urging everyone to see Cellular ( :laugh: -- it wasn't exactly parallel; she had gone all spiritual about WTBDWK). I did go see WTBDWK finally, and discovered that my recommendation was much, much better.

I saw Bourne on opening night with my 11-year-old son. Very enjoyable! My son hadn't seen the first two, but he loved this one anyway. Now we are trying to rent the first two, but of course it's impossible to find them in the video stores.

Oh, and Barb, I kind of liked Transformers. Or at least I didn't hate it. But then, I'm a sucker for anything with Shia LaBoeuf.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2007, 12:02:19 am »
I really liked the first two Bourne movies, so I'm looking forward to seeing the new one.  8)

Just got back from seeing the French film Moliere, which was very enjoyable.  My friend compared it to Shakespeare in Love, which I can agree with.  It also reminded me a bit of Tom Jones, one of my favorite movies.  It's a serio/comic imagining of what might have happened to Moliere to inspire him to write his comedies, particularly Tartuffe.  The original music is quite nice, and the sets and costumes are beautiful.  If you saw Paris, je t'aime, the actor who plays Moliere, Romain Duris, was the student who had an affair with his friend's wife in Barcelona.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Best Movie of 2006?
« Reply #225 on: August 13, 2007, 12:42:23 am »
THE FOUNTAIN directed by the guy who did REQUIEM FOR THE DREAM had beautiful imagery, good score, but very, very confusing narrative.

The Fountain is now out on DVD. I watched it tonite and enjoyed it very much. It reminded me a little of the movie What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams. I don't pretend to understand it, but I'm glad there is a movie tackling the subjects of death, creation in destruction, and everlasting life. Some of the images were stunningly beautiful, and Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weitz are a delight for the eyes.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2007, 09:37:56 am »
I loved The Fountain!  I thought Hugh Jackman was amazing in it.

I watched two excellent films on the weekend. My apologies if they have already been discussed here:

1- Infamous - The other movie about Capote writing In Cold BloodCapote was very stylish and compelling but I found PSH's performance rather distracting.  In this version however, I could focus more on the story.  Toby Jones, who actually resembles Capote physically,  is pitch-perfect.  Daniel Craig, who plays killer Perry Smith,  is in his best rough trade mode since Love is the Devil.  It seems that the relationship between the two is explored a bit more deeply.  It's unfortunate that it was released after PSH's vanity project because it's a very enjoyable film that deserves more attention.

2-  Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus - I've always been a big fan of Diane Arbus' photographs so I was excited about this film, even though it is a fictional exploration.  It's a very strange and audacious film that is part Alice in Wonderland, part Beauty & the Beast, complete with surreal touches.  Nicole Kidman and Robert Downy Jr. are excellent as the leads.  I absolutely loved it! I think Diane would be pleased. 

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #227 on: August 14, 2007, 03:06:15 pm »
The music in The Fountain is fantastic, a very good score if you're into movie music.  The narrative is non-sequential so a little harder to follow, but I'm used to films like that.  La Vie en Rose used a similar style, and again, Marian Cotillard is phenomenal as Edith Piaf.

I also agree that Infamous was a more satisfying film in that it varied more from scene to scene.  And the relationship b/w Capote and Perry Smith is definitely more intense.  I'm about ready to cancel my Netflix account because I am so far behind in new movies that I've rented that I want to see.....

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #228 on: August 20, 2007, 08:08:19 am »
I actually quite liked James McAvoy in that role.  But then again, I'm an American, and we don't get to hear nearly enough of that particular accent, IMO.  Or at least I don't.

:)

Okay so I finally saw last king of scotland last night. and did a little search on here to see if anyone had talked about it.

Loved the film, even if grusome, and thought Jaames McAvoy was great in it too! I wonder if Ewan McGregor was just too expensive for this project so they chose James instead? He is a Scot, so perhaps its not surprising he had the typical scots reactions down to a tee. I wonder who wrote the screenplay as they had the Scots/English bias just right. The way he immediately corrects Abi when he says hes British, the football loving guy, the way he slags of the english civil servant, little things like that.

Favouite line is probably..

Girl on Bus: Do you have monkeys in Scotland?
Nicholas Garrigan: No, but if we did we'd probably deep fry them!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2007, 08:18:29 am »
La Vie en Rose used a similar style, and again, Marian Cotillard is phenomenal as Edith Piaf.

Like I said in my blog I totally recommend La Vie en Rose. What a wonderful movie. I agree with Juan, Marion Cotillard does an outstanding job playing Edith. I posted a video of the real Edith singing La Vie en Rose in my blog as a tribute. She was gifted with a beautiful voice.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.