Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022363 times)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #510 on: December 29, 2007, 11:11:24 am »
Bringing over a comment from the movie game, has anyone seen "Gods and Monsters"? Comments...?

Leslie

a while back.  I would like to see it again.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #511 on: December 29, 2007, 11:20:24 am »
I finally saw Zodiac yesterday.  I thought it was a pretty good film.  I haven't seen enough of this year's movies to have a 10 best list, so can't really comment about whether it's one of the "best" films of 2007. I thought Jake did a good job in his role, and I also really enjoyed Mark Ruffalo's performance.

:)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #512 on: December 29, 2007, 11:33:55 am »
For this weekend's simulcast movie fest, Louise and I have Transamerica and Big Fish. If anyone wants to join us, we'll be watching one today and the other tomorrow. We usually watch the movie in the afternoon, around 2 pm EST.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #513 on: December 29, 2007, 11:48:43 am »
Got dragged to go see "Sweeney Todd".

It was good.  Solid piece of work, but it's not something I would have ever gone to see by myself.

Only reason I went is because a friend is a Johnny Depp fanatic and even she wasn't sure after it was over if she liked it or not.  The cast was solid, singing good - one singer was so irritating though, you finally understood what dogs must feel when they hear a dog whistle - very funny parts, lots and lots of gore.  My friend thought it campy in some parts, but I reminded her this was a movie about a singing serial killer, so camp was to be expected.  ;D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread... (SPOILERS)
« Reply #514 on: December 29, 2007, 03:31:43 pm »
Heh, don't forget your box of tissues.  I snuffled throughout the movie and came out looking like a white rat with reddened eyes, nose and a pounding sinus headache.

Enjoy, the men were still a pleasure to watch.

EDITED TO ADD:  Sorry, but as I'm dressing for work, I remembered that one of the songs played during this movie contained a gay slur, so be warned.

SPOILERS FOR "P.S. I LOVE YOU" SKIP IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

We loved it, Delalluvia!! Later, as we talked about it, one of my friends said she did not think she'd like it at first because of the way the funeral was held. I told her that was a traditional Irish wake and that's the way they would do it. She'd never been exposed to that type of rite. Anyway -- all three of us enjoyed it immensely. We mixed laughter and tears throughout the whole thing. H.C. Jr. was great in his part -- they have pills for being rude. hahaha And I just sat and lusted after Jeffrey Dean Morgan -- OMG. He is so MMMMMM!!!!!! The only thing --I thought it was odd how Gerry was out in the national park and she was out in the national park (1st meeting) and they were all alone. I would have been terrified if a man showed up like that out of nowhere.  :o  lol.  Course -- it helped that he was yummy looking. Thanks for the review, Del. It was all that and more! (I missed the song you are talking about I guess) (2 bathroom visits and 1 choking episode)  :P  I want to see it again anyway.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #515 on: December 29, 2007, 03:43:15 pm »
Got dragged to go see "Sweeney Todd".

It was good.  Solid piece of work, but it's not something I would have ever gone to see by myself.

Only reason I went is because a friend is a Johnny Depp fanatic and even she wasn't sure after it was over if she liked it or not.  The cast was solid, singing good - one singer was so irritating though, you finally understood what dogs must feel when they hear a dog whistle - very funny parts, lots and lots of gore.  My friend thought it campy in some parts, but I reminded her this was a movie about a singing serial killer, so camp was to be expected.  ;D

I saw sweeney Todd with my daughter last week.  I'm not sure how I feel about it!  I mean, I love the look of the film, and was surprised that Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham(sp?) Carter can actually carry a tune.  But I was turned off by all of the gore.  I realize the movie is about a serial killer, but, the entire thing seemed rather pointless to me.  My daughter was disappointed, no end.  In fact, she was sullen once the film ended.  I suppose she thought the movie would have more depth, or something.  But given the subject matter, I don't know what she expected!

Some of my favorite movies:

Ed Wood
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Sunset Blvd.
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
House on Haunted Hill (what can I say?)  :laugh:
Laura
Psycho

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #516 on: December 29, 2007, 04:04:28 pm »
I saw Walk Hard on Christmas Day. It's very silly, a bit over-the-top in parts, kind of cheesy for my taste -- but often absolutely hilarious. John C. Riley is great, and almost everybody else in it some famous comedy character actor from SNL, 30 Rock, The Office, Judd Apatow (who co-wrote) movies, etc. Who would cast Jack Black as Paul McCartney and Paul Rudd as John Lennon? But they're great.

I probably shouldn't have taken my 11- and 13-year-old sons to it, though. Luckily, they sat separately from my husband and me, so we could loudly complain in shocked tones about what kind of parents would take children to a movie like that.

I saw Sweeney Todd last night. Yuck. I love Johnny Depp, and Helena Bonham-Carter was very cute, and Alan Rickman was as usual a brilliant villain. My 16-year-old niece loved it -- she was seeing it for at least the second time and owns the soundtrack. But I agreed totally with my 11-year-old son's review: "It's boring, it's bleak and Johnny Depp does all the killings the same way." Oh, and it's gross.

Set design was fantastic, though. Tim Burton is a genius at that. And only a slight exaggeration of what I imagine  19th-century London probably was like. If only they hadn't done so much singing and killing, the movie would have been good. Unfortunately, that was 90 percent of it.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #517 on: December 29, 2007, 06:22:07 pm »
If only they hadn't done so much singing and killing, the movie would have been good.

Best review-in-a-nutshell ever.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #518 on: December 29, 2007, 07:34:42 pm »
This afternoon I watched "Transamerica" and I would highly recommend it. I can see why Felicity Huffman was nominated for an Oscar, she was great. At first I thought the ending was a little weak, but thinking about it, perhaps it was supposed to show what real life is...things just go on, without alot of fireworks or drama. Life is.

This came out in 2005, the same year as BBM. Thinking about the two of them together (and the Academy Award nominations, and how the Academy voted) is interesting.

If someone is looking for a good movie to add to their Netflix queue, or pick up at Blockbuster, I would suggest this.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #519 on: December 29, 2007, 07:50:07 pm »
I saw THE GOLDEN COMPASS today and wasn't really into it.  Of course, the guy with the picket sign outside the theater (with some Catholic group) was what enticed me.  If someone says don't go to see this film, I go.   Of course, it would have been annoying if ppl had disrupted the film shouting out off handed comments.  I heard much of this occurred for Fahrenheit 9/11 in the suburbs around America.