Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022297 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #590 on: January 08, 2008, 02:51:55 pm »
That's interesting since Butch Cassidy is also one of my favorite movies. But I am not seeing the connection the same way as you! LOL

I do, however see quite a connection between Butch Cassidy and BBM!

Someone commented on IMDb about the cinematographer going blind. This commenter worked with him on another (later) movie. Apparently Amendros had coke-bottle glasses during the filming of Days of Heaven but on this later movie, no glasses at all. The commenter didn't know if he had surgery or something, but whatever, his sight was restored.

That's good news, because when I read the previous post I was sad. Though Nestor Almendros is dead now, he's the first cinematographer whose name I actually knew. Mainly because of Day of Heaven. But he also worked on the beautiful (though otherwise stupid) Blue Lagoon, as well as Places in the Heart (the farm flick with Sally Field) and Sophie's Choice.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #591 on: January 08, 2008, 11:27:05 pm »
Lust, Caution will be nominated for best foreign film, and will win. (Boy, I am full of predictions today, aren't I?)

Exactly. Crash was something like 72% at rottentomatoes. Right now Elah is 64%.

Since I am in the mood for predictions today (who knows what has gotten into me!) I predict that 3:10 to Yuma will be nominated for Best Picture, and win. I'm Not There will also be nominated--won't win--but Todd Haynes will for Best Director.

Since all the reviews are raving about Tommy Lee Jones, I bet he will get a best actor nom. Maybe even win, since the movie itself will be shut out. Russell Crowe will be nominated for 3:10 to Yuma. Maybe Christian Bale, too, which is why neither of them will win (since they are in the same movie).

Cate Blanchett will be nominated for best actress for I'm Not There. Maybe she'll win.

Is it going too far out on a limb to predict Ben Foster getting  best supporting actor nom for 3:10 to Yuma?

L

Well, Leslie, now I understand your enthusiasm for 3:10 to Yuma!  I just finished watching it man, what a solid film!  I was actually in tears at the end, for some bizarre reason I don't wish to explore right now, lol!  It really affected me.  This is what movies are all about.  A movie like this makes me forget the crap I've had to sit through. I loved all the performances, Russell Crowe and Christian Bale sure are damn fine actors. And I'll never look at Ben Foster the same way again.

A couple of little things bothered me.  I thought Mrs Evans seemed a tad too contemporary-beautiful.  I also thought that for poor ranchers the Evanses were burning an awful lot of oil lamps, even in rooms not being used.  But this is just nitpicking. 

What a satisfying experience, I loved it!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #592 on: January 08, 2008, 11:41:50 pm »
Satisfying is a good way to put it. 3:10 is like an old-fashioned good movie. Not arty or envelope-pushing -- just entertaining, suspenseful, emotional, well-acted.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #593 on: January 09, 2008, 01:25:45 am »
I remember something about that, lol!  I've softened my position on that subject ever since I found out that there was no smoking in Zodiac, most of which was set in the smokin' 70s and I hadn't even noticed.

Well, I've was misinformed.  I'm watching Zodiac, I got the director's cut today,  and there have been several instances of smoking already.  Robert Downy Jr's character smokes.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #594 on: January 09, 2008, 01:29:57 am »
Well, Leslie, now I understand your enthusiasm for 3:10 to Yuma!  I just finished watching it man, what a solid film!  I was actually in tears at the end, for some bizarre reason I don't wish to explore right now, lol!  It really affected me.  This is what movies are all about.  A movie like this makes me forget the crap I've had to sit through. I loved all the performances, Russell Crowe and Christian Bale sure are damn fine actors. And I'll never look at Ben Foster the same way again.

A couple of little things bothered me.  I thought Mrs Evans seemed a tad too contemporary-beautiful.  I also thought that for poor ranchers the Evanses were burning an awful lot of oil lamps, even in rooms not being used.  But this is just nitpicking. 

What a satisfying experience, I loved it!

I'm glad you got to see this movie, oilgun, and that you've added it to your top ten.  I've been hoping to see it in some critics' top ten lists, but so far only Alison Bailes of Reel Talk has done so.  But she put it as number 1 on her list of favorites.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #595 on: January 09, 2008, 03:57:46 am »

I've been meaning to watch 3:10 to Yuma...Now it's on DVD, I'm gonna rent it one of these nights.

Tonight, I watched Boys Don't Cry (I've seen it before).
It's an excellent, tragic film.. it always leaves me feeling drained and depressed.  I could not get all the way to the end this time.   :-\ 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #596 on: January 09, 2008, 08:58:32 am »

So, upon everyone's recommendation, I watched Days of Heaven last night.  While it is certainly beautifully filmed and scored, it won't be rivaling BBM for me.  The story was interesting, almost telegraphic, or staccato, but I didn't respond to it emotionally. 

I spent some time thinking about this comment yesterday, trying to sort out what it is, exactly, about Days of Heaven that hits me so hard.

I think that my original viewing experience was somewhat "Brokebackian" and that has always stayed with me. We lived in Chicago at that time, and I saw Days of Heaven in the theater. Like BBM, I think Days of Heaven is best on the big screen. This theater had a wonderful sound system and Days of Heaven has a terrific score, plus I have always been a huge Leo Kottke fan. So that also enhanced my original viewing experience.

I remember when the movie ended, I just sat there in my seat, sort of stunned. I went back and saw it again, a few days later and had the same reaction. To be honest, if the theater hadn't been right downtown, with the hassle of Chicago parking, I might have seen it more than twice!

I had sort of forgotten about this movie, but when I saw an announcement for the Criterion DVD, all the memories came flooding back. And watching it on DVD, I had the same visceral reaction I had 29 years ago. Interesting how a movie can evoke such strong emotional memories.

Like I said in my other post, if the Internet had been around in those days and I could have chatted with other "Heavenites" who knows what my life would have been like. As it was, I had my own memories, thought about the movie, then filed it away.

When I think about movies that are on my "favorites" list, a large part of it is the memory of the emotional reaction I had the first time I saw it--which puts Brokeback Mountain up there, Days of Heaven, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and yes, even Titanic. Poor Titanic, the movie that everybody loves to hate now, but I still love it, because I remember how I felt the first time I saw it.

Leslie

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #597 on: January 09, 2008, 09:02:14 am »

Having seen Christian Bale just the other day in I'm Not There, I am becoming more and more impressed with his talent. I also thought he was excellent in The Prestige.

And you're right...Ben Foster, wasn't he great? Wow.

I may need to rent this and watch it again. I am so glad I saw it in the theater, though!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #598 on: January 09, 2008, 09:03:42 am »

Tonight, I watched Boys Don't Cry (I've seen it before).
It's an excellent, tragic film.. it always leaves me feeling drained and depressed.  I could not get all the way to the end this time.   :-\ 

I've never seen that, and it has been on my "must watch"  list for years. I suggested it to Louise for a simulcast and she said no, she couldn't watch it again. Once was enough for her.

One of these days...

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #599 on: January 09, 2008, 09:11:15 am »
I'm glad you got to see this movie, oilgun, and that you've added it to your top ten.  I've been hoping to see it in some critics' top ten lists, but so far only Alison Bailes of Reel Talk has done so.  But she put it as number 1 on her list of favorites.  8)

I was disappointed in this too, Meryl. Maybe it suffered the curse of coming out too early in the year.

Looking at my predictions, obviously I called quite a few wrong. Lust, Caution won't be nominated because of some technical glitch that it wasn't Taiwanese enough. I don't think 3:10 to Yuma will be nominated, either.

I still think Todd Haynes might get nominated for best director, but I don't think he'll win. Likewise, I still think Tommy Lee Jones will get a best actor nom for that Elah thing he was in.

And I still wonder...Ben Foster for best supporting actor? Hmmm....

L