The World Beyond BetterMost > The Culture Tent

Resurrecting the Movies thread...

<< < (2/427) > >>

ednbarby:
You know, I actually saw The Departed twice (my husband hadn't seen it with me the first time).  And on my second viewing, I did appreciate Leonard DiCaprio's work much more.  And Matt Damon's much less.  The latter was really just playing Bad Will Hunting.  The character was very charming, but then so was Will Hunting.  Meanwhile, I didn't see any of Howard Hughes in Leo's Billy Costigan.  At least he's capable of stretching.

I thoroughly enjoyed Flicka today.  A bit predictable at times, but excellent performances throughout, and fairly true to the short story except it was a girl not a boy who tried to tame him.  And all the horses were *gorgeous* - especially Flicka.  He put Black Beauty to shame.

Tim McGraw was especially good.  I'll tell you what - these country singers (for the most part) have got it going on.  Dwight Yoakum blew me away in "Sling Blade," and McGraw was equally intimidating here, but in a much less violent way.  It's funny - just looking at a still shot of McGraw doesn't do much for me, but he's so magnetic in these roles that you can't help but go... "Ooh."

I agree with you, Jura, about World Trade Center.  I was pretty underwhelmed by it.  The women were good, but there was way too little of them to allow you to really connect with them.  And I think Oliver Stone (of all people) was trying too hard to be tasteful, and in so doing sacrificed an already compelling story.  United 93 is the movie you want to see if you want to really get in touch with the magnitude of the loss we experienced that day.  I still shudder thinking about a couple aspects of it.

I'm looking forward to The Good German (as opposed to The Good Shepherd - sorry - on Matt Damon overload lately - I might have to pass on that one).  That's the one where Tobey Maguire actually plays a (mostly) bad guy.  I know he's been on a couple of your most hated actors lists, but dammit, I think the boy can act.  I love him in the Spider-Man movies - I love how really subtle he is, especially when he's first realizing the extent of his new-found powers in the first one.  And I loved him in Pleasantville and The Ice Storm, too.

Speaking of horse movies again, I think Sea Biscuit was my favorite one of all time, mostly because it captured the extraordinary personality of that horse.  And the race sequences were truly thrilling.  That real-like jockey - what is his name? - stole the show.  Talk about magnetic.  I'm not usually one for really short men, but WOW.

SFEnnisSF:
Dwight Yoakam is THE MAN.  Not only is he one of my favorite CW singers, he's a great actor too.  Check him out in THE THREE BURIALS OF MELQUIADES ESTRADA, where Tommy Lee Jones gives an excellent performance as well. 

Back in March, several Century Theatres locations paired BBM with THREE BURIALS as a double feature!

silkncense:

--- Quote ---saw The Departed twice (my husband hadn't seen it with me the first time).  And on my second viewing, I did appreciate Leonard DiCaprio's work much more.  And Matt Damon's much less.  The latter was really just playing Bad Will Hunting.
--- End quote ---

Barb - I'm glad to read this.  I was going to take issue w/ your first assessment but got sidetracked somewhere along the way & never did.  I loved DiCaprio in The Dparted - actual made me know how he was feeling - w/ Damon - what the hell was he feeling??  I loved this film - not in the realm of Brokeback, but then I truly believe nothing else ever will.

Eric  - Having said that, The Three Burials is the only other movie I even went to while Brokeback was in theaters (saw it once - Brokeback 17 times) and I loved it as well.  Own it also.  The scene with the Blind Rancher - very thought provoking.

Also thouroughly enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine - my sons wanted me to go to that with them (Hmmmmmmm).  Actually laughed out loud.

Planning on seeing The Prestige at some point...

jura86:

--- Quote from: silkncense on October 22, 2006, 11:17:09 am ---Also thouroughly enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine - my sons wanted me to go to that with them (Hmmmmmmm).  Actually laughed out loud.

--- End quote ---

Little Miss Sunshine was brilliant! Will defnitely add that one to my dvd collection when it comes out...

I was surprised too ednbarby by what Oliver Stone did with WTC - I have only just recently watched JFK for the first time, and really enjoyed it - of course it is completey historically inaccurate, but was entertaining nevertheless, and full of great performances, which just made WTC all the more disappointing by comparison. I guess it must be a reactionary thing, Stone was convinced that Alexander was a flop because America is homophobic, which probably isn't true, it just flopped because it was a poor film. I guess he was aiming this one directly at the audiences he supposedly lost last time round.

littleguitar:
Saw The Prestige today... it was good, not great, but I enjoyed it. It was smarter than the Illusionist and the ending wasn't quite as predictable, but even given that I still enjoyed The Illusionist more.

Christian Bale gives a good performance, though I wouldn't say it's his best. Hugh Jackman was very good. Scarlett Johansen once again convinced me that she is plastic and she gets steadily worse with every movie since the Island. I think it's worth seeing, but don't expect it to blow you away. And I think the beginning is messy. I'm not sure if that makes sense, maybe it will when you see it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version