Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022317 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #640 on: January 18, 2008, 10:22:07 am »
Leslie, have you seen the trailer?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0780536/trailers-me60268068

I think it has some great dialogue!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #641 on: January 18, 2008, 10:50:55 am »
Thanks for that, Fabienne, I hadn't seen it.

The reviewers are all praising the "snappy dialog" which had the audience laughing out loud. While some reviews praised the movie (like the one I posted) a few complained that this was one of those movies that started out funny, felt like a comedy, and then took an abrupt turn. I have a feeling I know what that turn is, given the occupations of the leads.

Either way, I'll seek it out because I want to see the scenery!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #642 on: January 18, 2008, 12:02:03 pm »
And what was in my mailbox today? The dvd of Days Of Heaven!

I ordered it just because of your recommendation Leslie. Maybe we'll watch it tonight.  :)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #643 on: January 18, 2008, 12:05:28 pm »
Is anyone planning to see JJ Abrams' Cloverfield this weekend?  The reviews are pretty good and I love the trailer.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #644 on: January 18, 2008, 12:14:47 pm »
Maybe I'll go with my son. I still want to see Atonement, though...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #645 on: January 18, 2008, 12:15:10 pm »
And what was in my mailbox today? The dvd of Days Of Heaven!

I ordered it just because of your recommendation Leslie. Maybe we'll watch it tonight.  :)

Oh, I can't wait for your review!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #646 on: January 18, 2008, 12:53:38 pm »
Maybe I'll go with my son. I still want to see Atonement, though...

L

I know what you mean. We were going to see it last night, but my husband had a hard day at work and he wanted to watch something that would give him a laugh, so we decided on Charlie Wilson's War. And we laughed! I really enjoyed the biting satire. Tom Hanks was really good as the Congress man knocking back one whiskey after another. Julia Roberts had interesting wigs. LOL But Philip Seymour Hoffman really stole the show, his performance was hilarious.

We'll watch Atonement next week. And I still haven't seen Gone, Baby Gone or Rendition or Before The Devil Knows You're Dead. *sigh* Never enough time.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #647 on: January 18, 2008, 08:16:26 pm »
I went to see "Atonement" today and really enjoyed it.  I'd been led to believe from the trailer that it was a big epic film, but it wasn't, really.  There was a big scene showing the gathering of troops for the Battle of Dunkirk (really well done), but basically, it was an intimate story of two lovers whose lives were tragically impacted by a third person.  The music, by Dario Marianelli, was beautifully evocative and made the bittersweet story all the more moving.  The director used the camera in a way that I can only describe as lyrical.  Overall, the impression I got was that of having read a long, evocative, sadly beautiful poem.  Highly recommended.  8)

There was a preview for "In Bruges," and it looks very appealing.  If for no other reason than to see that gorgeous town (I've spent many imaginary hours there by working on the opera "Die Tote Stadt"), I have to see it. Clemence Poesy, who played Fleur in the most recent Harry Potter movie, is also in it. :D

Another preview was for "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day," starring Frances McDormand and Amy Adams.  It looks really cute.  Frances McDormand is a not too successful London nanny who finally gets a job with Amy Adams' character, an American actress.  Ciaran Hinds, one of my favorites, is also in it, as is Shirley Henderson, who plays "Moaning Myrtle" in the Harry Potter movies.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #648 on: January 19, 2008, 01:26:34 pm »
The film critic at Time Magazine had a recent article that Hollywood needs to make more "Out of Africa's" in order to get ppl to watch the Oscars and to get adults to the cinema.  He said ppl don't watch the Oscars as a contest to see who will win best picture, but rather as a coronation (Titanic).   However, I thought well doesn't the movie poster from OUT OF AFRICA have a comparable look with a certain image from BBM??   ;D

http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/27/A70-13827 

I'm having a problem copying the image, so I just posted the link.  As Meryl pointed out in a msg to me, "It's is a nice image, and very evocative of the shot in BBM."

I know Ennis and Jack weren't' having a picnic "the morning after," but it's still familiar enough.  Who needs OUT  OF AFRICA when you the scenery and passion of BBM.

http://popbytes.com/img/brokeback-dec9.jpg

« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 03:47:43 pm by Kd5000 »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #649 on: January 19, 2008, 01:55:20 pm »
Karl, here's the picture you mentioned, in case others are having trouble opening it:

And the BBM shot to go with it:

Ich bin ein Brokie...