Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022252 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #650 on: January 19, 2008, 03:31:18 pm »
This would be a good companion piece to our analysis of the more familiar BBM poster and its resemblance to the Titanic poster.

The thing that most strikes me in contrasting these is that Meryl Streep and Robert Redford are turned toward the camera and facing each other, while Jack and Ennis are turned away from both us and each other. That faintly suggests something secretive or illicit about their relationship. Of course, knowing that this is the "I ain't queer" scene probably reinforces that inference, for me.

Plus, while Meryl and Bob are touching or almost touching, Jack and Ennis are not, leaving the nature of their relationship vague.

It's interesting to imagine a poster with Jack and Ennis posed like the "Out of Africa" stars.

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #651 on: January 19, 2008, 04:34:16 pm »
i agree to all of the above...

i was also thinking that Meryl and Robert (can't remember their character's names) looked enclosed by their scenery (i.e. the mountains 'wrapping' around them) whereas as Jack and Ennis looked removed from the view in front of them...

e.g. 'where do we belong in this world?' for Jack and Ennis and 'we are happy in this world' for Meryl and Robert.  Obviously the fact that we see the backs of one couple and the front of the other has something to do with it as well.

It's interesting to imagine a poster with Jack and Ennis posed like the "Out of Africa" stars.

this makes me think of scene around the fire, that I think is actually just Jake and Heath, not Jack and Ennis...  I'll see if I can find it.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #652 on: January 19, 2008, 04:49:53 pm »

well, those were the two images I was thinking of... but because they are close-ups and in the trees, they aren't really all that similar to the OoA poster.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #653 on: January 19, 2008, 04:58:45 pm »
Sorry to break in here with a totally different topic but I just saw Juno and thought it was great!  After all the hype it actually exceeded my expectations.  It's a really sweet and intelligent film with excellent performances and a wonderful soundtrack. (I'm listening to it as I write this, lol!)

Sonic Youth's version of the Carpenters' Superstar (4:05)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0--RCqzJkA[/youtube]

Offline BelAir

« Reply #654 on: January 19, 2008, 05:00:58 pm »
I am glad to hear it lived up to all the hype!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #655 on: January 19, 2008, 05:40:07 pm »
Hannah and I went to see Atonement. I thinks she is still upstairs sobbing...poor thing.

It was good and I enjoyed it. The scenery, the costumes, the evocation of an earlier time...all great. I kept saying to myself, "there is something about this movie..." and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then, I was reading comments at The New York Times and commenter #63 hit the nail on the head. I said, "Ah ha!" Not to give too much away (for those who haven't seen it) but the exact same conceit was used in "Adaptation," another movie I liked the first time around and grew to love on subsequent viewings. I suspect the same thing will happen with "Atonement." Interesting.

I saw very different previews than Meryl, though! "The Eye" (blech, skip), "Charlie Bartlett" (looks funny), and "10,000 BC" which looks really really dreadful. When I saw it was the same director as "Independence Day" and "The Day After Tomorrow" I knew that meant STAY AWAY. I will.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #656 on: January 19, 2008, 07:19:29 pm »
Sorry to break in here with a totally different topic but I just saw Juno and thought it was great!  After all the hype it actually exceeded my expectations.  It's a really sweet and intelligent film with excellent performances and a wonderful soundtrack. (I'm listening to it as I write this, lol!)

I'm glad you also enjoyed Juno.  The soundtrack is full of wonderfully quirky, sweet songs. 

Offline oilgun

« Reply #657 on: January 20, 2008, 07:22:31 pm »
I saw Before the Devil Knows You're Dead today and quite enjoyed it.  Let's just say that it isn't exactly a feel-good film,  :o! although there are some touches of dark humour.  Phillip Seymour Hoffman is great as usual and so is Ethan Hawke and I liked how the film was structured, jumping back and forth in the timeline, it worked quite well.
The French poster below is somewhat misleading, btw.

"Aww man, there's a fly in my beer!  It's just not a good day!"
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:43:44 pm by oilgun »

Offline BelAir

« Reply #658 on: January 20, 2008, 10:08:02 pm »
I saw Before the Devil Knows You're Dead today and quite enjoyed it.  Let's just say that it isn't exactly a feel-good film,  :o! although there are some touches of dark humour.  Phillip Seymour Hoffman is great as usual and so is Ethan Hawke and I liked how the film was structured, jumping back and forth in the timeline, it worked quite well.
The French poster below is somewhat misleading, btw.

from that profile view in the poster, EH reminds me of Benicio del Toro (sp?)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #659 on: January 21, 2008, 10:19:41 am »
I am not  quite sure what I think about this...

January 21, 2008

Oliver Stone to Make "Fair" Movie About George W. Bush

By REUTERS

Filed at 9:00 a.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Director Oliver Stone, who has made movies about Presidents John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon, is developing a project about the current occupant of the White House, but promises it will not be a hatchet job, Daily Variety reported on Sunday.

Stone is in talks with Josh Brolin, who is starring in "No Country For Old Men," to play the title role in "Bush," the trade paper said.

He is shopping the script to financiers and hopes to start production by April, with a release date in time for the election in November, or the inauguration of Bush's successor in January.

Stone told Daily Variety that he planned to make "a fair, true portrait" of Bush, focusing on such areas as his relationship with his father, President George H.W. Bush, his wild youth, and his conversion to Christianity.

"It will contain surprises for Bush supporters and his detractors," said Stone.

He said Brolin was better looking than Bush, "but has the same drive and charisma that Americans identify with Bush, who has some of that old-time movie-star swagger."

A White House spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment. Bush has acknowledged that he was a heavy drinker in his younger days, but has long been sober.

Stone, who has had his battles with drink and drugs, earned three Oscar nominations for his 1991 conspiracy film "JFK." In 1996, he also received a script nomination for "Nixon," which starred Anthony Hopkins. He won best directing Oscars for the Vietnam sagas "Platoon" and "Born on the Fourth of July."

Other historical figures reinterpreted by Stone include dead rock star Jim Morrison in "The Doors," and Alexander the Great in "Alexander."

In 2002, he shot a flattering documentary about Cuban leader Fidel Castro for HBO, but the pay-cable network told him to balance it with more footage about political prisoners on the communist island.

Stone's efforts last year to film a documentary about another Bush nemesis, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, also hit turbulence. His request for access was denied with an official reportedly dismissing the filmmaker as "part of the Great Satan."

(Reporting by Dean Goodman, editing by Philip Barbara)

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!