Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1022340 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2007, 03:18:54 am »
...I've been loving Keanu since Point Break and I don't see that changing!

My second fave guy is getting seriously dissed!  There's a dinner theatre production of Point Break where ...

What is unique about the stage take is that the role of Utah (played by Reeves in the film) is played by an audience member (selected at random each night) who is thrust upon the stage (guided by a PA - who also serves as stunt double) and given his/her lines on cue-cards. "Keanu Reeves roles demand a special kind of acting," explains director Hook, on the show's conceit. "Essentially, in every scene, you have to look like you've just been dropped into a room and you have no idea what's going on."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/playbill/20070125/en_playbill/105174

Oy!  Hopefully, his sense of humor is intact!
 8)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 03:25:52 am by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2007, 10:26:08 pm »
Lynne -

Do you recall a Keanu film w/ Peter Falk where Keanu's character falls in love w/ an older woman - I think played by Barbara Hershey?  I'm trying to recall the name - I swear I owned it a some point on VHS but have no idea whatever became of it. 
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2007, 10:32:48 pm »
Lynne -

Do you recall a Keanu film w/ Peter Falk where Keanu's character falls in love w/ an older woman - I think played by Barbara Hershey?  I'm trying to recall the name - I swear I owned it a some point on VHS but have no idea whatever became of it. 

Sure thing, silkie!

That's Tune in Tommorrow!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100822/
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2007, 12:11:15 pm »
Ah yes -

Thanks much.  I remember at the time I thought it was cute.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Scott6373

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2007, 12:15:27 pm »
I saw Dreamgirls yesterday. As many have said, Jennifer Hudson, in her first big role, was excellent. I also thought Eddie Murphy was very good. Beyonce Knowles did a good job and Jamie Foxx must have been good because I just hated his character...by the end of the movie, it was "hiss, boo!" every time he showed up on the screen.

The movie did seem long, though, and as my mother said, by the end I was tired of the "shouting songs."

While Jennifer Hudson was very good, I don't think she'll win Best Supporting Actress...it's her first time out of the gate and I just don't think the Academy is that generous.

Thoughts from others who have seen Dreamgirls?

L

Having seen the original on B-Way, the movie was well made.  All the actors did a fine job with both singing and acting, however, it was basically a musical rip-off of the original artists.  It's a tough genre of music not to plagiarize, but they needed to do more than throw a few measures of music at some new performer in order to make it fresh and original.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2007, 12:54:16 pm »
That was a very poignant post, Barb. I think it's possible to have that kind of relationship with someone, not necessarily of the same gender, but certainly not with one's spouse.

I saw the trailer for Miss Potter and I don't think I'll be seeing it, because I can't stand to look at Renee Zellweger's face!! The review in The New Yorker was not all that good either.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2007, 01:55:03 pm »
I can't stand Renee Zellweger's face, either!  She always looks like she just swallowed a bug.  I don't know who it was who put it in her head that that smarmy, pursed-lip grin of hers is the least bit attractive.  But they were wrong.

Yes, Leslie, I think you, Lee and I should go to the movies together.  We seem to have the same taste.  Too bad we're scattered all over the country - practically in a diametrically opposite triangle, in fact.

I'm going to go see Pan's Labyrinth today at 2:20.  Can't wait!!!  Wish you all could join me.  :)

No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2007, 02:32:24 pm »
My daughter's words to me before I saw Pan's Labyrinth were "it's a little violent." Well, no sh**!!! Just so you'll be prepared!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2007, 03:26:23 pm »
I am not sure if I should post this here, but has anybody seen Little Children?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2007, 04:16:17 pm »
Count me in as a member of the "not able to stand Renee Zellweger's face" club!

Anthony Lane's review of "Miss Potter" in the New Yorker is hilarious. He talks about how Ewan McGregor's character "is required to utter the line, 'We shall give them a bunny book to conjure with."  :P  Then he writes, "Only one man on earth can speak those words with a straight face, and that is Hugh Hefner."  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was considering taking my kids to "Pan's Labyrinth," but because it is R I looked it up on one of those parent/movie websites (my kids can see some R movies, no problem -- "28 Days Later," "V for Vendetta," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Royal Tennenbaums," "Collateral" -- but not others). Anyway, the site had a list describing every single act of violence in the movie, and it sounded so sickening that by the end I didn't even want to see it.

Other than that, did you like it, Lee? ("Other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?"  :laugh:)