Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025165 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2007, 07:19:13 pm »
I *love* Black Adder.  "Now's about the time the conversation turns to picking weevils out of biscuits and drinking urine."

:)
No more beans!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2007, 07:26:24 pm »
Oh man...I just finished watching Perfume and it is very disturbing and grotesque.   Beautifully shot, though, and the 18th century French set design is very authentic looking.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2007, 08:56:34 pm »
I just got finished watching Transformers.  And I must say, it is very disturbing and grotesque, too.  (But what did I expect from Michael Bay, anyway?)

I feel I must cleanse my movie soul with something - worth watching.  Something that redeems my faith in the movie-making gods.

Fargo, it is.  :)

No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2007, 07:36:48 am »
Oh man...I just finished watching Perfume and it is very disturbing and grotesque.   Beautifully shot, though, and the 18th century French set design is very authentic looking.

You should read the novel. It is much, much better. The way the odors are described is amazing. You'll think you are acutally smelling them. Author is Patrick Süskind.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2007, 01:47:36 pm »
You should read the novel. It is much, much better. The way the odors are described is amazing. You'll think you are acutally smelling them. Author is Patrick Süskind.

Wow.  That sounds like powerful writing.  I'll go see if I can find it.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2007, 03:52:04 pm »
I agree with everyone who loved Waitress, it was one of the best surprises of the year so far.  I never watched Felicity but I thought Keri Russell was totally engaging in this film.  Plus the assortment of kooky characters (hmmm, reminds me of a certain trip I just took  ;) ) and especially Andy Griffith was hilarious and very touching.

Another unexpected gem was La Vie en Rose, about French icon Edith Piaf.  While I'm the first to admit I'm over actors playing real people and doing great imitations (PHS, feh!) I was blown away by Marion Cotillard.  She plays Piaf from late teenage years to early 40s, and she's a freaking dynamo.  The direction of the movie is interesting in how it travels back and forth in time.  I like that style but I found myself confused as to who certain characters were.  It was very interesting to see more of what Piaf's life was like and how she came to be such a legend, not having known much about her before the film.  It's a challenging movie but rewarding in the end.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Casey Cornelius

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2007, 11:48:46 pm »
The latest film which has provided me multiple joyful viewings is The History Boys.  Wonderful script by Alan Bennett from his incredibly witty Tony and Olivier award winning play, directed by Nicholas Hytner [Madness of King George (also from an Alan Bennet play), The Crucible. The Object of My Affection - but, more than a film director he is one of Britain's greatest theater and opera directors]
-- with an unbelievable cohesive ensemble cast of eight wonderful young British actors, Richard Griffiths [who was in the recent controversial London production of Equus with that Harry Potter actor dropping his kit - come to think of it Richard Griffiths was also in a Harry Potter film !] and the subtley stunning Frances de la Tour.  Makes me upset that I did not make more of an effort to see the original National Theatre production in London or the tour to New York last year.
If you watch the film and enjoy it, make an effort to get a hold of the original play-script [not just the film script]
and read the rest of the play, as about 3/4 of an hour of material had to be excised in the film adaption.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 11:55:39 pm by Casey Cornelius »
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand ...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #217 on: August 03, 2007, 02:21:48 am »
I saw Sunshine tonight.  Awesome film.  I loved it.  

...And Chris Evans is a hottie!   :P   :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/sunshine/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:27:57 am by sfericsf »

Offline oilgun

« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2007, 10:04:35 am »

...And Chris Evans is a hottie!   :P   :D

Then you'd like him in Cellular.  It's actually an fun little thriller and he was just adorable in it!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #219 on: August 03, 2007, 05:25:06 pm »
Valley of the Dolls---is there a more camptastic movie than this one?