Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1035713 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #670 on: January 21, 2008, 02:51:22 pm »
Although I can see the resemblance that you are referring to, Meryl, especially in the nose, the thought of Heath playing Mr. Bush just makes me throw up a little in my mouth! LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #671 on: January 21, 2008, 03:03:20 pm »
Although I can see the resemblance that you are referring to, Meryl, especially in the nose, the thought of Heath playing Mr. Bush just makes me throw up a little in my mouth! LOL

L

I know, Leslie!  I didn't say I liked the resemblance, just that it's there.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #672 on: January 21, 2008, 03:10:33 pm »

No, he will always be my Ennis! I don't care what Movie he is in or how old he gets. In my mind he will forever be Ennis Del Mar.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #673 on: January 21, 2008, 03:29:24 pm »

One of the movies I watched recently is called The Gymnast. (directed by Ned Farr)
http://www.thegymnastfilm.com/thegymnast_flash.html

It is lovely little film with breathtaking aerialist performances by the two leads.  Simply wow.
That, and it's a love story.  I really enjoyed it.  :)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #674 on: January 21, 2008, 04:19:28 pm »
Well, I had to do it!  Just got back from seeing Cloverfield! (I'm not a film snob either, lol!)  It really does play on post 9/11 anxieties, several early scenes of clouds of dust and debris billowing through the streets of lower Manhattan looked eerily familiar.  All in all, it was a pretty effective film, I was pretty much on the edge of my seat throughout.  The camcorder effect, which often didn't show us what was happening, or only partly, worked well at increasing the confusion and fear. There was just enough character development to make us care about happens to them.  The creature was a bit of a disappointment, I think it would have been more effective if we never actually got a good look at it.  Anyway, it was fun!

The trailers shown:  A teaser trailer of Star Trek showing the enterprise under construction.  -Hellboy II, looks pretty bad.  -21 with Kevin Spacey about that ring of card-counting math wiz MIT students in Vegas.  Wasn't there a TV show about that?  There must have been others but I can't remember them.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #675 on: January 21, 2008, 04:48:31 pm »
Well Oilgun, do you realize how many Trekkies are going to pay just to see that 3 second image of the new Star Trek, coming Christmas 2008.  I've actually seen the image posted on some mainstream film blogs and that's all it was, an image of the Enterprise under construction.  William Shatner is still whining about not being cast... Probably wanted a pretty penny.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #676 on: January 21, 2008, 04:55:48 pm »
[...] William Shatner is still whining about not being cast... Probably wanted a pretty penny.

How come actors never retire, that's what I want to know. :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #677 on: January 21, 2008, 04:56:52 pm »
Has anyone else ever had the thought that Heath Ledger would make a convincing George W. Bush?

If that thought has ever passed through my mind for even a split second I immediately got rid of the thought, destroyed the brain cells it touched and forgot I ever had it.

:P :P :P

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #678 on: January 21, 2008, 05:46:36 pm »
I just watched a great movie today. It's "A Love Song For Bobby Long".
It's got Scarlett Johanson and John Travolta! Oh, what a beautiful story.
It was agreat cast and acted very well!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline BelAir

« Reply #679 on: January 21, 2008, 06:34:45 pm »
It's interesting that you bring that topic up, Karl and Leslie.  I was just ruminating this morning on my underlying anxiety about being unexpectedly thrown out onto the street here in NYC. 

I often wonder what I would do if we had to evacuate suddenly.  I never forgot the images of those poor Bosnians, especially old people and children, who were made to trek miles and miles over the harsh countryside as part of Milosovic's ethnic cleansing policy.   It's not that far-fetched, unfortunately, given the scenario of a possible "dirty bomb" attack here that could spread radiation over many miles.  In fact, ever since 9/11, I have had a purse-size bag sitting in my closet with extra money, a transistor radio, energy bars, water and other portable necessities, ready to pick up and take with me.  Sounds paranoid, I know, but I'm not alone by a longshot.

Although a monster attack or a quick climatic disaster is really unlikely, I do think it's only a matter of time before New York and other coastal cities will have to be abandoned in the face of the rising sea levels brought on by global warming.  I'm just glad I can enjoy living here now.  It's a great city, full of beautiful and exciting things, a wonderful example of how millions of people can coexist together in relative harmony.  The disaster scenarios just make me appreciate it all the more on a daily basis.

I know people (okay, actually only one person, and it's NOT me) that won't consider living near any big cities due to possible bomb attacks... 

Anyhow... having the little bag packed - actually sounds like a good idea, no matter where you live...

and your last point up there is a really good one.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."