Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025180 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #970 on: June 06, 2008, 03:11:01 pm »
I really like Chris Cooper too.  I find something about him captivating.  Guess that's why he's a successful actor, LOL.  Others must feel the same way!

Count me in! I especially loved him in Adaptation, though that wasn't at all like his typical roles.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #971 on: June 06, 2008, 07:55:49 pm »
Chris Cooper is the man!

I also loved him in "Lone Star" which is a very good little movie.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #972 on: June 06, 2008, 08:15:44 pm »
I agree that the women were victims of having to "adjust" their bodies. However, I think Chinese women whose feet were bound DID consider it attractive. Here's an NPR story about it:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=8966942

Well, it does help one psychologically to come to love one's deformity.  Helps people move on with their lives with a better attitude.  Since footbinding is done ideally when a girl is young, she would be just another child who had no choice and through constant indoctrination from her female relatives and men, came to like and find attractive what she had.

African women who favor female circumcision think that women's genitals are ugly without it.

Some do, I'm sure. Or else they're speaking the party (men's) line.  Most of the literature I read on the subject is that older women's attitude is if they "had to suffer, then so does the younger generation".  It had nothing to do with sexual aesthetics.

A fellow but older student I had in my speech class at college said he lived in Indonesia for awhile after getting out of the Navy.  The men there found it strange that he wanted and enjoyed talking with their wives.  They got to talking about marriage and relations between spouses and the men quite confidently assured him that their wives "found their [sexual] pleasure in pleasing them".  When the student turned to the wives and asked if this was true, the wives all looked at each other then quickly nodded, "Oh yes, we get our pleasure from pleasing our husbands."

::)  Women speaking the "party" line.

Western women who wear high heels or shave their legs think that's what's necessary to be attractive.

Depends.  Why are women wearing high heels?  I personally think my feet are unattractive and are more so in flat shoes.  High heels makes them look much more pleasing to the eye, more streamlined.  And I know a bunch of ethnic women who don't bother shaving, so it's not as cut and dried in the West as we might think.

But I was thinking earlier tonight: It's funny that what's considered attractive for women often has so much to do with keeping women from being strong and/or functional. Bound feet or high heels keep them from running. Expensive dresses in luxury fabrics keeps them from rugged activities. Long painted nails keeps them from using their fingers. Makeup, etc., inhibits their time to do other things.

You could look at it that way.  They are also things that makes women different from men.  What men - straight men anyway - tend to find attractive in women is that we're different from them.  So the more we are different, the more attractive they find it.  Since men tend to spend a lifetime in unconscious competition with other men, they tend not to like competition from a possible sexual partner - it's threatening - so if a woman can look more helpless and more vulnerable and not so threatening, then they like that too.

Most sandals, no.

I can't run in any.

And you notice that only women wear sandals to work.

Only in this country.  I see quite a few African and Indian men wearing sandals everywhere.

Men's work shoes aren't ideal for running.  But I bet there weren't many men who felt the need to take their shoes off on 9/11.

I bet there were a few who wanted to.  Leather-soled shoes are extremely slippery.  I remember reading about one Port Authority officer on 9/11 who was walking through the underground before the collapse of the Towers, bemoaning the fact that he was ruining his patent leather shoes in the water from all the sprinklers.

Then of course a second later, he comes to and realizes, I'm going to die in these shoes.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #973 on: June 07, 2008, 08:44:42 am »
Chris Cooper is the man!

I also loved him in "Lone Star" which is a very good little movie.

This is the one I was going to mention.  Lone Star is my other very favorite movie in the whole world.  If you haven't seen it, watch it ten or fifteen times and see if you might agree.  :)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #974 on: June 07, 2008, 03:10:22 pm »
Hey buds!  I just posted my overdue report on C Jay Cox's film KISS THE BRIDE in my blog.  The trailer is there a few posts back.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,102.msg376895.html#msg376895

:D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #975 on: June 07, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »
  Most of the literature I read on the subject is that older women's attitude is if they "had to suffer, then so does the younger generation".  It had nothing to do with sexual aesthetics.

Here's an excerpt from the activist Ayaan Hirsi Ali's book, Infidel, which gives some idea about attitudes in Somalia, among girls and boys, about genital mutilation

But the kids at madrassah (Islamic religious school) were tough. They fought. One girl, who was about eight years old, they called kintirleey, "she with the clitoris".

I had no idea what a clitoris was, but the kids didn't even want to be seen with this girl. They spat on her and pinched her; they rubbed sand in her eyes, and once they caught her and tried to bury her in the sand behind the school.

The madrassah teacher didn't help. Once in a while he called her dammin, dunce, and kintirleey, too.
My teenage cousin Sanyar used to pick me up after madrassah. One day she arrived just as a girl hit me in the face. Sanyar took me home and told the story. "Ayaan didn't even defend herself," she said in horror. "Coward!" my family jeered.

The next day Sanyar waited for me outside the madrassah with another teenager, the older sister of the girl who had hit me the day before. They caught hold of the two of us and tugged us over to an open space, then ordered us to fight. "Scratch her eyes out. Bite her," Sanyar hissed at me. "Come on, coward, think of your honour."

The other girl got the same encouragement. We flew at each other, fists tight, hitting, wrestling, pulling each other's hair, biting. "Ayaan, never cry!" Sanyar called out. The other children cheered us on. When they let us stop, our dresses were torn and my lip was bleeding, but Sanyar was delighted. "I don't want you to ever let another child hit you or make you cry," she said. "Fight. If you don't fight for your honour, you're a slave."

Then, as we walked away, the other girl shouted after me, "Kintirleey!" Sanyar winced. I looked at her, horror dawning on me. I was like that other girl? I, too, had that filthy thing, a kintir? In Somalia, like many countries across Africa and the Middle East, little girls are made "pure" by having their genitals cut out. There is no other way to describe this procedure, which typically occurs around the age of five.

In the rest of this excerpt, she goes on to describe her experience of having it done to her, at age 5. Beware -- it's not fun reading.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21160254-28737,00.html

Her parents are opposed to the procedure, but when they're away, the grandmother has it done to Ayaan and her siblings. The grandma's attitude suggests that she's not doing it because she had to suffer, therefore so do her grandchildren. She's doing it because she really does see it as aesthetically preferable, in fact "pure." To me, it seems logical that most women who grow up in that culture absorb the culture's notions of aesthetics -- even if they are its victims.

Sorry to go so OT!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #976 on: June 08, 2008, 08:21:03 am »

And I'll tell you another part that stretched suspension of disbelief to the breaking point.  When Anthony sees Stanford at a big event and grabs him, says "Thank God you're here," and plants a big kiss on his lips.  In the series, Anthony loathed Stanford, so what happened?

Well I wouldn't say Anthony LOATHED Stanford but they were very different.... but you did see them get friendlier over the seasons.... but I guess lots of things happen in 4 years - it was quite fun to see them planting a biog smacker on each other on new year event! (But I wanted to know what happened to Stanford's ballet dancer!)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #977 on: June 20, 2008, 03:55:09 pm »
I saw a very interesting Russian film last nite titled Mongol, about the early life of Genghis Khan. The acting was very good but what really made the movie were the beautiful scenes of the steppes and the amazing battle scenes. The culminating battle scene really brought home why Genghis Khan was such an extraordinary leader. I have never seen blood and dirt represented so beautifully. Of course, the real stars of the movie were the horses!
Go see it if it shows near you!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #978 on: June 21, 2008, 03:27:16 am »
Well I wouldn't say Anthony LOATHED Stanford but they were very different.... but you did see them get friendlier over the seasons.... but I guess lots of things happen in 4 years - it was quite fun to see them planting a biog smacker on each other on new year event! (But I wanted to know what happened to Stanford's ballet dancer!)

Remember the episode where the women set them up to sit next to each other at some event, and when Anthony arrived and took a look at Stanford, he turned and left?  When asked about it, he said some pretty scathing things.

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #979 on: July 06, 2008, 06:30:08 pm »
I saw Hancock with family over the weekend.  I thought it was pretty good as far as [recent randomish] superhero movies go... quite humorous, plot not too annoying...  There was no RDJ but Jason Bateman was sweet, and I preferred it to Iron Man actually.

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."