Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025047 times)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1000 on: July 25, 2008, 11:21:51 am »
http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collections/gallery/906/#photo10

Top 10 Historically Inaccurate Movies

oops!  I better stop taking history lessons from the movies....  Interesting to me how many Mel Gibson films are on the list...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1001 on: July 30, 2008, 07:00:38 pm »
About the "homo" remarks in Hitchcock.  I'm not sure I'll do a good job verbalizing why I thought it was actually quite funny when he said them, but I'll try, which feels risky, because if I don't do a good job, I risk alienating beloved men here.

Okay, so, in the beginning, Hitchcock is basically a scruffy, dirty, drunk or hungover mess. 

Whoa! I read this and thought, Hunh?? There's a movie in which Alfred Hitchcock is a scruffy, dirty, drunk and hungover mess, as well as a homophobe??!

Then I figured out whom you meant. And yeah, that's how I saw it, too.

Tam, I think the comparison of the two movies is inevitable because they came out almost at the same time. 

And they are both set in Europe around the turn of the last century. And both have two-word titles involving "the" followed by a noun. I saw and liked both of them, and sometimes get momentarily confused myself.

Last week, really wanting to see TDK but already having committed myself to seeing it with my husband over the weekend (which we did), I went to Mama Mia. It was light and fluffy to the point of ridiculousness, even stupidity.

But a week later, I'm still humming the songs.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1002 on: August 01, 2008, 10:10:15 pm »
Like you, Katherine, a week later I am still humming the Mamma Mia! songs. That was a great bit of summer entertainment...silly, harmless, laugh outloud funny, with good looking 3/4s naked men leaping out of the ocean at strategic moments. What more could you want from a flick?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1003 on: August 01, 2008, 10:43:11 pm »
I saw "Journey to the Center of the Earth" today in 3D.  Talk about harmless fun--if I had kids I'd take them to it in a minute.  Not too long, lots of fun tricks with the 3D and lots of scary critters.  Brendan Fraser is the perfect actor for it--cute, hot, and doesn't take himself seriously at all.  They made going to the center of the earth and back seem like a vacation--only one that happened to be like an amusement park ride gone amok.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1004 on: August 03, 2008, 01:15:20 pm »
I saw a wonderful, funny and poignant black-and-white indie movie last night, a "disastrous, Misanthrope-seeks-Misanthrope-first-date-via-Craigslist-on-New-Year's-Eve-in-L.A. movie" (you know the kind, right??)--

In Search of a Midnight Kiss (2007)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0989000/

The writer-director and the two stars were there for a Q&A afterwards--these are terrifically talented kids, all originally from Texas, living in L.A.--the movie was filmed in something like eight days, but it has a polish and a knowingness and texture; it is a light, profound, silly and sophomoric, subtle and ageless movie that is lightyears above--far above--the usual drek--

Anyway--

Here's the trailer--it's cute, but doesn't even begin to give you the real idea (how could it?)--one of the lines is "I look like a rodeo clown," which is not at all Brokeback, but it's silly and fun--

In Search of a Midnight Kiss - Trailer (2:23)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7a-XW6zQF4&feature=related[/youtube]

--and go here: http://www.ifcfilms.com/

It may never come to your theater, but it might--and if not, try and give it a go on Netflix--

:)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:00:05 am by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1005 on: August 03, 2008, 11:18:38 pm »
John...

Will you translate your siggie?

I haven't noticed it before.

If forced to guess, I would say, "Do you know that I love you?"
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1006 on: August 03, 2008, 11:59:36 pm »
John...

Will you translate your siggie?

I haven't noticed it before.

If forced to guess, I would say, "Do you know that I love you?"

Thanks! I changed my 'siggie' in February or March after seeing 'Les chansons d'amour' (Love Songs) by Christophe Honoré; roughly, one character is letting another (clueless) character know, in no uncertain terms:

"You must hear 'I love you,'" or, rather,  "You need to hear 'I love you!!'" (Exclamation Point!)

Unfortunately, Jack didn't say it (early enough) to Ennis, I guess--
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1007 on: August 07, 2008, 01:08:54 pm »
I have just learned about this movie: Chris & Don, A Love Story. It's a documentary about Christopher Isherwood and Don Bachardy. Here's the trailer. Anyone here seen this? It's getting very positive comments on IMDb. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be playing in Maine anytime soon!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNQMFAG33hY[/youtube]
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1008 on: August 07, 2008, 01:53:54 pm »
I saw Chris & Don at the Ptown film festival, Leslie.  I'd have to say it was the best film that I saw that week.

Fascinating bio of an unlikely couple, told through interviews, old film, Isherwood's diary (read by Michael York), and an inventive use of animation.  Watching Don Bachardy "grow up" from very impressionable young man to a mature artist was compelling. 

There's always the DVD, Leslie.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1009 on: August 07, 2008, 02:37:17 pm »
Thanks for that info, Paul. It sounds like the sort of movie that's right up my alley--I love documentaries. And yes, DVD, although I like movies in the theater, better! I pay more attention and don't get distracted...

L