Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025045 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1020 on: August 17, 2008, 12:49:27 pm »
Anybody up for the newest Coen Brothers film, Burn After Reading?  It comes out on Sep. 12 and looks to be a dark comedy featuring a CIA agent and some gym employees.

Well it sure looks interesting.  It looks like Brad Pitt has hair highlights and Frances McDormand is a blond.  The trailer, which I saw yesterday, really doesn't give you any idea of what the movie is about.  I like the trailer for Bottle Shock, "the story of the early days of California wine making featuring the now infamous, blind Paris wine tasting of 1976..."

Yesterday, I saw the new Woody Allen movie called Vicky Cristina Barcelona.   Penelope Cruz was quite good, but the movie itself wasn't up to par, though it might make you want to take a vacation in Spain.   :D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1021 on: August 20, 2008, 12:10:42 am »
though it might make you want to take a vacation in Spain.   :D

That in itself might be enough reason to see a movie!  ;D

I saw Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder with my sons (12 and 13). They loved both, but I wasn't as impressed. Both had mildly funny or interesting moments, but devolved into stupid violence and were ultimately, to me, disappointments. Still, in the first, I liked James Franco. Very fun and likable -- a whole new kind of character. In the second, I liked Robert Downey Jr. and especially -- get this! -- Tom Cruise!! As a matter of fact, one could argue that Tom Cruise was the best thing in that movie. Not something I'd ever expect to hear me say, except possibly regarding Magnolia, which I haven't seen.

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1022 on: August 20, 2008, 12:23:01 am »
Finally, I saw this film as a double bill with Mannequin, starring Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall. I enjoyed both films, but especially Lars. One line that struck me very much was the doctor's as she pretended to examine Lars' "girlfriend" (but really him) "Sometimes I get so lonely I forget what day of the week it is, or how to spell my name."

You saw Mannequin? YARGHH!.....worst movie ever...I still have nightmares of Switcher and mannequins riding on motorbikes! :P
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1023 on: August 26, 2008, 11:41:20 pm »
I saw Frozen River tonight.  It was excellent!

http://www.sonyclassics.com/frozenriver/

I love the music in the trailer and in the movie:

Trailer:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7MnmB79yt0[/youtube]

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1024 on: August 28, 2008, 04:06:53 pm »
Most of the movies I've watched lately have been older and rather mediocre so I haven't bothered to post about them here.   One exception, however, is the 1976 French film THE BEST WAY TO WALK (La meilleure façon de marcher), the first film from director Claude Miller.  I don't remember ever hearing about it before but since I'm a fan of Patrick Dewaere I rented it.   What a wonderful surprise!

Summary:
In the summer of 1960, Marc and Philippe work as supervisors in a French summer camp for young boys.  Their different methods of treating their young charges reflect their different personalities.  Marc, an extrovert bully, leads his boys as if they were rookie soldiers, subjecting them to a gruelling schedule of sport and drill exercises.  Philippe, by contrast, is a quieter, kinder man, who is more concerned with developing his boys’ artistic talents.  The two men co-exist comfortably side-by-side until one day Marc sees Philippe dressed up as a woman in his room.  From that day, Marc is determined to make Philippe’s life a misery.  He humiliates Philippe in front of his fellow supervisors and then his girlfriend, Chantal.  Finally, Philippe can take no more.  His self-esteem in tatters, he is driven to take a drastic revenge against his tormenter…

Review Excerpt: The two characters in the film, Marc and Philippe, represent two diametrically opposed facets of masculinity – Marc the virile, physical lout, Philippe the well-mannered, studious type.  The two kinds of male personas still exist, and have probably always existed, each fatally drawn towards the other in a kind of love/hate symbiosis, from which each derives some sort of perverse self-justification.  The conflict between them, so masterfully captured in this film,  is perhaps as ancient and as unforgiving as that which exists between men and women.

Synopsis and review both from: http://filmsdefrance.com/FDF_La_Meilleure_facon_de_marcher_rev.html

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1025 on: September 04, 2008, 11:02:06 pm »
Well, the reviews for the Cohen Bros' BURN AFTER READING have not been very good here in Toronto. - It's playing at the TIFF.  It's too bad I was looking forward to seeing Brad Pitt play a doophus, he really shines in comedies.  Remember how hilarious he was when he guested on FRIENDS?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1026 on: September 04, 2008, 11:24:21 pm »
Yesterday, I saw the new Woody Allen movie called Vicky Cristina Barcelona.   Penelope Cruz was quite good, but the movie itself wasn't up to par, though it might make you want to take a vacation in Spain.   :D

Agreed, Karl.  I enjoyed the movie but could have done without the intrusive voice-over narration.  The only reason I could come up with for it was that maybe Woody wanted it to come across as some sort of "chick lit" book that they market to young women.  The actors were appealing, even Scarlett Johansson, whom I usually find annoying.  There were some signature Woody Allen bits that made me miss some of his earlier films.  And yes, Barcelona looks terrific.  Afterwards, all I wanted to do was go out and get some wine and listen to Spanish guitar music in a secluded little cafe.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1027 on: September 04, 2008, 11:38:45 pm »
Well, the reviews for the Cohen Bros' BURN AFTER READING have not been very good here in Toronto. - It's playing at the TIFF.  It's too bad I was looking forward to seeing Brad Pitt play a doophus, he really shines in comedies.  Remember how hilarious he was when he guested on FRIENDS?

I'll have to say, the trailers did not look promising. It looked like one of those Cohen Bros. movies where everyone shamelessly mugs -- especially George Clooney. Maybe I'm finding that George, and for that matter Joel and Ethan, are at their best with solemn dramas. Kind of the opposite of Kevin Costner.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1028 on: September 05, 2008, 07:24:29 am »
The trailer for MILK which will be out in November. From Focus Features with Sean Penn, Emile Hirsch and Josh Brolin.
[youtube=425,350]
[/youtube]
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1029 on: September 05, 2008, 08:49:06 am »
Thanks for the Milk trailer, Leslie.  I worry about the Dan White portrayal, even from the brief trailer; he looks too calculating.  Most of the actual footage of him I've seen makes him look rather stupid and pathetic. (I'm thinking The Times of Harvey Milk.)

A pleasant diversion from the Repugnican Convention last night:  I flipped the channel and found Blade Runner.  I probably hadn't seen it in more than 25 years, yet I used to listen to the soundtrack a lot in the 80s. 

I think it certainly has held up (outside of the blatant Atari ads).  It reminded me of BBM in that it leaves things ambiguous and you have to think!  Rutger Hauer's "tears in the rain" speech is fantastic!