Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025434 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1040 on: September 08, 2008, 12:47:15 pm »
Hey, Juan!

Speaking of Gus Van Sant, I just rewatched Good Will Hunting for the first time since it was in the theaters. It held up really well. My 12-year-old son liked it, too, which is amazing considering nobody gets killed during the entire movie! Ben Affleck and Matt Damon really wrote an amazing script. Matt Damon has become one of my favorite actors, and I think Ben Affleck is highly underrated (anybody else see Hollywoodland?)

Speaking of Matt Damon, I watched Saving Private Ryan for the first time last night. It was good and all, I guess, but ... well, as a general rule I'm the opposite of my son. The more people get killed, the less I like it (with plenty of violent exceptions, such as 3:10 to Yuma and The Departed). This one had too high a killing:character development ratio for me.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1041 on: September 08, 2008, 12:53:46 pm »
Hey Paul!  Hey everyone else!  I can't see the Milk trailer from work but I'll check it out at home, I'm looking forward to it.  Van Sant runs hot and cold with me but I'm dying to see Milk's story on film.  And Repugnican?  Too funny!

Hey Juan!  Miss you around these parts.

I guess we can be glad that Van Sant didn't do BBM after all. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1042 on: September 09, 2008, 12:09:37 am »
How could I forget to mention it earlier? I saw Man on Wire yesterday, about the guy who in the 1970s walked, ran, and lay down on a tightrope strung between the tops of the World Trade Center towers. The film combines an amazing amount of photos and films shot at the time, recent interviews with the participants, all still engaging and articulate, and a little bit of not-too-cheesy recreation. It got a little long in parts -- all the details about the preparation -- but was suspenseful overall. The guy is an interesting character. And when he goes out on the wire ... even now, my pulse races a bit just thinking about it!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1043 on: September 09, 2008, 11:14:57 am »
Last night I watched Greg Araki's SMILEY FACE starring Anna Faris. Of course, since the movie was never released in theatres, I wasn't expecting much, which probably explains why I thought it was pretty hilarious. 

It's not completely successful but it's way better than many Hollywood comedies that do get theatrical runs.  Think DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR?, but with a female pothead instead of two guys.  It's not a very glamourous role for Anna who spends the whole movie - and she's in every scene - completely stoned out of her mind.  We're talking slack-jawed-and-falling-down stoned, not just a good buzz.  It's actually a bit too much after a while, I found myself yelling at her to close her mouth!  Also, at times she seemed to be channeling Britney Spears, the resemblance was uncanny and a bit disturbing.

The script is clever, the supporting cast is quite good and the soundtrack is a hip mixture of Styx, REO Speedwagon, Mojave 3 and the Chemical Bros.  If you like stoner comedies, or like to partake yourself, then I think you might enjoy it.  In fact, it's probably a good idea to have a bong at hand while watching it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:13:24 pm by oilgun »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1044 on: September 09, 2008, 11:29:41 am »
You are so right, oilgun! She would be perfect for Britney when they do the biopic. It could be Anna's breakthrough role, like Jennifer Lopez's in Selena or Marion Cotillard as Edith Piaf or Barbara Streisand as Fanny Brice. And you know Britney's life story is probably just about as compelling as those other singers'.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1045 on: September 09, 2008, 11:31:50 am »
Has anyone heard anything good about Jake and Tobey's new movie "BROTHERS."  I've seen random posting from ppl who attended advanced screenings. They've said it wasn't very good, not as good as the original. I had high hopes for this film, even hoping Jake would make it to Award season this year.  Anne Hathaway is getting good reviews at the Toronto film festival for her new movie.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #1046 on: September 09, 2008, 03:43:27 pm »
I saw this movie last night that was from a few years ago, Birth, staring Nicole Kidman as a woman remarrying when a young boy appears claiming to be her deceased husband. Never heard of it when it came out, but it was quite the psychological thriller:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gHj75ntqHU[/youtube]

This was my favorite part:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8lrDiZQJQg&feature=related[/youtube]
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1047 on: September 09, 2008, 03:53:20 pm »
You are so right, oilgun! She would be perfect for Britney when they do the biopic. It could be Anna's breakthrough role, like Jennifer Lopez's in Selena or Marion Cotillard as Edith Piaf or Barbara Streisand as Fanny Brice. And you know Britney's life story is probably just about as compelling as those other singers'.

Separated at birth?  ;D

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 06:23:04 pm by oilgun »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1048 on: September 09, 2008, 05:35:48 pm »
I saw this movie last night that was from a few years ago, Birth, staring Nicole Kidman as a woman remarrying when a young boy appears claiming to be her deceased husband. Never heard of it when it came out, but it was quite the psychological thriller:

This was my favorite part:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8lrDiZQJQg&feature=related[/youtube]

That is a really interesting sequence, though I kept waiting for something to happen!   Anyway, considering it was the opening bars of one of the operas in Wagner's Ring Cycle, it strained credulity that they would have been permitted to enter the theater after the music had started.  Wagner fans are notoriously fierce when it comes to being distracted from their opera!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1049 on: September 09, 2008, 10:12:39 pm »
That is a really interesting sequence, though I kept waiting for something to happen!   

Wow, I thought something really did happen:  I realized again how good an actress Nicole Kidman can be.  I couldn't take my eyes off her.  And I don't even know what's going on with her in this film.  Apart from her portrayal of an ice cube in Moulin Rouge, she can have incredible depth.  The Hours will always be my favorite. 

I'll see anything with Lauren Bacall LOL.  I'll have to look for Birth.  Thank you, Truman.