Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025041 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1060 on: September 11, 2008, 06:58:18 am »
I hope not, because it's exactly that thinking that keeps gay actors who might want roles in straight romances from being able to come out.

Chamberlain came out at seventy or something, no one cares who an actor sleeps with at that age, lol!

I watched JUMPER last night and was pleasantly surprised,  I had heard mostly negative things.  Hayden Christensen is his usual arrogant and ridiculously handsome self and I always love Jamie Bell.  I hope the planned sequals get made.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1061 on: September 11, 2008, 09:03:31 am »
Chamberlain came out at seventy or something, no one cares who an actor sleeps with at that age, lol!

But I think a lot of people thought he might be gay long before he officially came out.

It's sad, because I've heard that, too -- someone says they find a movie romantic, and someone else snaps back that the actor in it is gay in real life, as if that canceled everything out and the first person should rethink her original opinion of the movie. News flash: The actor was playing a role! Even if he were straight, he'd likely be unavailable to you in real life for all kinds of reasons -- he lives in Los Angeles, he dates supermodels, he's a total stranger. So what's the difference if he's gay?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1062 on: September 14, 2008, 06:45:06 pm »
I find movies about gays more romantic than the typical hetero romance. It seems like the more unusual and unlikely the relationship is, the better the story and romance are to me. When two gay men hook up in a movie, I am not only glad for them, but I also relate to one or both characters strongly, even though I am not male. I also prefer intercultural, intergenerational and interracial romances. Am I weird or what?  ::)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1063 on: September 14, 2008, 06:58:10 pm »
I also prefer intercultural, intergenerational and interracial romances. Am I weird or what?  ::)

No weirder than Heath. I gather from his interviews that he took the role of Ennis for similar reasons.

Not to change the subject, but I saw Burn Before Reading yesterday and found it fairly tedious.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1064 on: September 14, 2008, 07:32:37 pm »
I just saw BURN AFTER READING and I thought it wasn't one of the COEN BROTHER's best movies.

I did like Brad Pitt's character quite a bit.  It's one of his better performances of late. There are some jarring twists and turns in the film but in the end, I really didn't care so much for the other main characters.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1065 on: September 14, 2008, 10:34:50 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:

When I wrote the last post, i couldn't remember if it was "Burn AFTER Reading" or "Burn BEFORE Reading." I took a wild guess at the latter, googled it, came up with a bunch of hits, and without looking too closely figured that was it and proceded accordingly.

Later, my son overheard me on the phone calling it "Burn Before Reading" and corrected me.

I thought actually that would be a more clever name, though.  ;D

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1066 on: September 14, 2008, 10:52:49 pm »
:laugh: :laugh:

When I wrote the last post, i couldn't remember if it was "Burn AFTER Reading" or "Burn BEFORE Reading." I took a wild guess at the latter, googled it, came up with a bunch of hits, and without looking too closely figured that was it and proceded accordingly.

Later, my son overheard me on the phone calling it "Burn Before Reading" and corrected me.

I thought actually that would be a more clever name, though.  ;D

A writer titled his review of the film: "Burn Before Watching"  :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1067 on: September 15, 2008, 01:42:16 am »
A writer titled his review of the film: "Burn Before Watching"  :laugh:

Good plan!  :laugh:

I only hope the next Cohen Bros.' movie is better. They're reportedly making a film based on their childhood, in a Minneapolis suburb right next to the one I grew up in. It could be a heartwarming return to the golden days of my youth, or ... uh-oh ....  :o ;)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1068 on: September 16, 2008, 11:16:46 am »
Minneapolis suburb. Sounds very wholesome.  ;) Must be a great setting for the "banality of evil."  ;D   What a great contrast.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1069 on: September 16, 2008, 11:24:16 am »
Minneapolis suburb. Sounds very wholesome.  ;) Must be a great setting for the "banality of evil."  ;D   What a great contrast.

Yup, the Minneapolis suburbs are teeming with hidden evil. I can vouch for that!  :laugh: