Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025079 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1070 on: September 16, 2008, 12:03:13 pm »
Yup, the Minneapolis suburbs are teeming with hidden evil. I can vouch for that!  :laugh:

I heard that Minneapolis is a very fit city with nice paths for running around three small lakes?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1071 on: September 16, 2008, 03:35:47 pm »
Yes. I live near one of them. Takes about an hour from my door, around the lake and back. It is connected by bike and walking paths to another one, which is connected to another one. The bike and walking paths also extend farther, follow a creek to a waterfall, and take in a couple more lakes. The creek is a couple of block from my house.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1072 on: September 16, 2008, 04:42:17 pm »
Yes. I live near one of them. Takes about an hour from my door, around the lake and back. It is connected by bike and walking paths to another one, which is connected to another one. The bike and walking paths also extend farther, follow a creek to a waterfall, and take in a couple more lakes. The creek is a couple of block from my house.

NICE!  It reminds me of Ottawa, where I grew up.  It's located at the confluence of 2 rivers and a canal and all three have well maintained bike paths along both sides that can all be accessed from the downtown core.  Plus just across the bridge in Hull/Gatineau, there is a provincial park accessible from their downtown with a beautiful path makes its way through the forest.  I've actually seen deer while riding this path!  It's amazing and just minutes by bike from the Ottawa centre.  That's the one thing I miss from that city, all the easily accessible green space.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1073 on: September 16, 2008, 04:49:56 pm »
NICE!  It reminds me of Ottawa, where I grew up.  It's located at the confluence of 2 rivers and a canal and all three have well maintained bike paths along both sides that can all be accessed from the downtown core.  Plus just across the bridge in Hull/Gatineau, there is a provincial park accessible from their downtown with a beautiful path makes its way through the forest.  I've actually seen deer while riding this path!  It's amazing and just minutes by bike from the Ottawa centre.  That's the one thing I miss from that city, all the easily accessible green space.

That sounds lovely. I saw a deer here in the city once, galloping down the sidewalk of a major thoroughfare, a few blocks from the creek. People out raking their lawns stopped to stare in wonder. When she got to the creek, she plunged down into the brush and disappeared. I don't know how she got so off track in the first place, but she got back safely.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1074 on: September 19, 2008, 12:19:38 pm »
Art lovers, have you seen Simon Schama's POWER OF ART from the BBC.  Excellent show.   Each episode covers one artist. I just watched the first two which look at Caravaggio and Bernini respectively and it reminded me of how exciting these guys' lives were, full of political intrigue, intense rivalries, sex & violence.    Which brings me to why I'm posting in this thread.

Why aren't there any movies about them?  I know, and loved, Derek Jarman's CARAVAGGIO, but I'm talking about more mainstream fare, there is great material to be mined from these great artists' lives. 

Then I started thinking about casting, who would play bad-boy & murderer, Caravaggio?  And what about the arrogant & nasty Bernini who tried to kill his own brother and had his lover/model's face slashed when he found out they were having an affair?

For inspiration, this is what they looked like:

Caravaggio

Bernini

I immediately thought of Benicio Del Toro for Caravaggio but I'm stumped when it comes to Bernini.  Any thoughts?

EDIT:   I just thought of a good Bernini:  Joseph Fiennes!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:06:53 pm by oilgun »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1075 on: September 20, 2008, 12:45:05 pm »
I immediately thought of Benicio Del Toro for Caravaggio but I'm stumped when it comes to Bernini.  Any thoughts?

Or what about his brother, Ralph??

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1076 on: September 20, 2008, 01:37:49 pm »
Or what about his brother, Ralph??

Thanks for the response Front-Ranger (I guess few people share my love of fantasy casting, lol!).  Ralph would be great too, I actually like him better as an actor, but I thought that the younger Joseph might be a better choice to portray Bernini at different periods of his life. 

I just discovered that Joseph has been cast to play Vivaldi in one of apparently two upcoming biopics.  Not that it really matters, but there isn't much of resemblance:

By oilgun at 2008-09-20

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1077 on: September 23, 2008, 03:54:03 pm »

Any Aki Kaurismäki fans out there?  The Criterion Collection  just released his "Proletariat Trilogy" which includes:  SHADOWS IN PARADISE (1986),  ARIEL (1988) and THE MATCH FACTORY GIRL (1990), all good films.  I just love his deadpan humour. 

- "You want I should break your face?"
- "No."
- "Okay."

http://www.criterion.com/asp/boxed_set.asp?id=2001200

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1078 on: September 26, 2008, 11:59:49 pm »
Art lovers, have you seen Simon Schama's POWER OF ART from the BBC.  Excellent show.   Each episode covers one artist. I just watched the first two which look at Caravaggio and Bernini respectively and it reminded me of how exciting these guys' lives were, full of political intrigue, intense rivalries, sex & violence.    Which brings me to why I'm posting in this thread.

Why aren't there any movies about them?  I know, and loved, Derek Jarman's CARAVAGGIO, but I'm talking about more mainstream fare, there is great material to be mined from these great artists' lives. 

Then I started thinking about casting, who would play bad-boy & murderer, Caravaggio?  And what about the arrogant & nasty Bernini who tried to kill his own brother and had his lover/model's face slashed when he found out they were having an affair?

For inspiration, this is what they looked like:

Caravaggio

Bernini

Good choices, Gil!  8)

How about Colin Ferrell or Robert Downey, Jr. for Caravaggio?

And Daniel Day Lewis for Bernini?

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1079 on: September 27, 2008, 02:48:30 am »
Oooh, I'm no Bernini expert by any means, but from what little I know DDL would be great in the role.  :D