Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025228 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1080 on: September 27, 2008, 06:35:49 pm »
Good choices, Gil!  8)

How about Colin Ferrell or Robert Downey, Jr. for Caravaggio?

And Daniel Day Lewis for Bernini?

Thanks!  I like your choices as well.  Especially Colin Farrell.  In fact,  Benicio's out, I'm giving the part to Colin!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1081 on: October 06, 2008, 09:26:20 pm »
I inexplicably forgot to report that I saw Appaloosa last week at a sneak preview. It's a western starring Ed Harris, Viggo Mortenson and Renee Zellwegger.

I'd give it about three out of four stars. It's beautifully filmed, the acting is fantastic (Renee Zellwegger, as usual, was good enough to almost make me forget how much she annoys me), the characters are interesting, the setting seemed authentic. The plot holds some unexpected twists and turns. I renewed and even increased my appreciation of both Viggo and Ed.

However, it was a little slow in parts. The movie conjures a palpable tension that it never, IMO, quite delivers on.

In short, it's no 3:10 to Yuma. But overall I'd recommend it anyway.

Oh! I think I also forget to mention having seen Lakeview Terrace. It was a big ehhhh, for me. Good acting and pretty suspenseful in parts, but to what end?? It was one of those where after it's over, you want to ask, tell me again why I sat through that?

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1082 on: October 06, 2008, 09:34:55 pm »
Thanks for the response Front-Ranger (I guess few people share my love of fantasy casting, lol!).  Ralph would be great too, I actually like him better as an actor, but I thought that the younger Joseph might be a better choice to portray Bernini at different periods of his life. 

I just discovered that Joseph has been cast to play Vivaldi in one of apparently two upcoming biopics.  Not that it really matters, but there isn't much of resemblance:

By oilgun at 2008-09-20

I think Art Garfunkel should play Vivaldi!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1083 on: October 09, 2008, 01:09:19 pm »
Thanks friend! He does deserve watching to see if he matures at all... I also saw the trailer for Australia. That looks promising with Aussies Hugh Jackman and what's her name...after I wrote Hugh Jackman, my mind just went blank! Whats'a matter with my head!!

I forgot to point out that Chris Pine will be the youing Captain Kirk in the upcoming Star Trek movie.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1084 on: October 09, 2008, 03:39:24 pm »
Yes, I could see him in that role, provided he gets a haircut!! Thanks for the heads-up friend!

I hope he does better than Kirstie Alley as a Vulcan!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1085 on: October 09, 2008, 04:06:07 pm »
Yes, I could see him in that role, provided he gets a haircut!! Thanks for the heads-up friend!

I hope he does better than Kirstie Alley as a Vulcan!!

Of course, playing Kirk shouldn't require much acting ability considering who originally portrayed the character, lol!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1086 on: October 09, 2008, 05:34:17 pm »
Of course, playing Kirk shouldn't require much acting ability considering who originally portrayed the character, lol!

No, but William Shatner's "acting" was part of Kirk's charm:

"WE THE PEOPLE ... these words . . . were not written only for the Yangs ... but for the Kohms as well. They must ... apply to ... everyone ... or they mean nothing."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1087 on: October 17, 2008, 03:33:06 pm »
My apologies if this one has already been brought up recently, but I just watched We Are Marshall for the first time (I say that because there probably will be others) last night.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  I found it to be about the most inspiring football movie I've ever seen - even moreso than Invinceable or Rudy - and one of the most inspiring sports movies I've ever seen.  Matthew Fox really is a wonderful, wonderful actor, and as much as Matthew McConaughey annoys me outside of acting, he's always big fun to watch onscreen, too.  Both are capable of such subtlety in both their line readings and their non-verbal acting.  And you can almost never go wrong with David Straithairn.  It was also nice to see our dear Kate Mara in a relatively new movie, though I thought she was a bit underused in this one.  The only distracting thing about it was that Ian McShane couldn't quite pull off an authentic West Virginia accent - I kept hearing Irish, is it, in there.

I especially liked that the movie wasn't about the importance of winning, just as that first team after the plane crash wasn't - it was about the importance of moving on with life after enduring a devastating loss.  What made me cry at the end was how one character in particular really wasn't able to.  And it made me want to learn more about the real coaches and players who kept that program alive.

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1088 on: October 17, 2008, 03:42:50 pm »
Thanks for the review, Barb. I'm puttin it in my queue!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1089 on: October 18, 2008, 06:12:24 pm »
Speaking of sports movies, my son and I saw The Express this afternoon, the story of Ernie Davis, star running back for the Syracuse Orangemen who died of leukemia at the age of 23. He was the first African American to win the Heisman trophy. Dennis Quaid plays the coach and does a fine job. Dennis always does a fine job in sports movies! It was good--not great--but definitely watchable. Good Saturday afternoon entertainment.

I am debating about whether or not to see W. If anyone wants to weigh in with an opinion, I'm listening.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!