Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025295 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #1090 on: October 20, 2008, 01:01:23 am »
I just saw Read After Burning, or whatever it was (I know what it was), last night, and left the theater feeling yucky.  I enjoyed the first half or so, kind of, but... welll can't think how ot express without giving anything away.  I will say I liked the second tier of character actors, David Rasche, J.K. Simmons especially.  George Clooney looked oddly gaunt.  I love Frances McDormand but...  Anyway, I realized I didn't really like any of the characters.  Heck of a cast, though, Brownie.  John Malkovich too.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1091 on: October 20, 2008, 01:02:05 am »
I want to see "Salute" after reading Kelda's thread about it.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1092 on: October 20, 2008, 10:37:06 am »
I had that problem with it, too, Elle - I didn't like any of the main characters.  Not even a little bit (although John Malcovich was a riot in his role).  I found myself liking J.K. Simmons' character the most, even though he was the quintessential out-of-touch-with-reality, self-serving head Intelligence guy.

I was deeply disappointed in Frances McDormand, actually.  The first time I've ever been.  Which just added to it.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:02:29 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1093 on: October 21, 2008, 07:13:16 pm »

Movies on my next-to-watch list:

- The Lover (1992)
- The Red Violin (1999)
- Iron Jawed Angels (2004)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1094 on: October 23, 2008, 01:44:38 pm »
Next in my Blockbuster Online queue are Quiz Show and The Great Debaters. The latter I passed up numerous times in hotel pay-per-views, because it looked like just another one of those sincere "Economically or Educationally Underprivileged Students Who Triumph at Some Big Challenge" movies, of which I feel I've seen enough of to last a lifetime (I skipped the one with Hilary Swank, too). But I've had a number of people tell me it's really good, so I'll give it a shot.

Quiz Show is another in my long line of seeing movies I loved in the past, preferably with one or both of my sons, to see if I still love them, and see how the boys react. L.A. Confidential and Good will Hunting held up, and how! The Player, sadly, did not -- I fell asleep. I think it was edgy and new for its time, but it's kind of era-specific, and some of those devices have been reused since and are more familiar. And Tommy, which I'd liked when I saw it in high school (this we just happened to see on TV recently) was appalling garbage.

Another movie I'd love to resee is Shampoo, though not with my sons. But that might be too era-specific, too.

What other movies do you all want to see that you last saw in the theater years ago? And if you have seen some, did they hold up, or not?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1095 on: October 23, 2008, 02:02:39 pm »
Just saw Rachel Getting Married with Sandy/memento. 

Wow!  Very powerful performances from screen sisters Anne Hathaway and Rosemary DeWitt as Rachel.  The jerky camera makes you feel like a guest at the wedding weekend. 

A surprise was Debra Winger:  so recognizable, yet I felt she had aged 20 years overnight, since I hadn't seen her in anything.  Still has that catch in her voice.  Does wonderful things with a small role. 

Bill Irwin was delightful as the father of the bride; Anna Deveare Smith was completely wasted, however.

A criticism:  too much music; I found it distracting.

Overall:  highly recommended.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1096 on: October 23, 2008, 07:28:19 pm »
Overall:  highly recommended.

Thanks, Paul! I'll pencil it in for this weekend.

I've seen Debra Winger here and there over the years, so that won't be a shock. But her presence in the movie is the clincher for me. I've always liked her and was sorry she dropped out there for a while.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1097 on: October 23, 2008, 10:01:56 pm »
Thanks, Paul! I'll pencil it in for this weekend.

I've seen Debra Winger here and there over the years, so that won't be a shock. But her presence in the movie is the clincher for me. I've always liked her and was sorry she dropped out there for a while.

Be sure to tell use what you think, Katherine.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1098 on: October 25, 2008, 02:45:09 pm »
I just saw Burn After Reading ...last night, and left the theater feeling yucky.  I enjoyed the first half or so, kind of, but... welll can't think how ot express without giving anything away.  I will say I liked the second tier of character actors, David Rasche, J.K. Simmons especially.  George Clooney looked oddly gaunt.  I love Frances McDormand but...  Anyway, I realized I didn't really like any of the characters.  Heck of a cast, though, Brownie.  John Malkovich too.

Just goes to show you - humor is such a personal thing.  A friend and I went to see this and were laughing throughout most of it.  We thought it really enjoyable.  We didn't have to like the characters.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #1099 on: October 25, 2008, 02:47:31 pm »
Anyone seen Religulous yet?

I'm dying to see it, but haven't had the opportunity.