Author Topic: Resurrecting the Movies thread...  (Read 1025303 times)

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Resurrecting the Movies thread...
« Reply #2110 on: February 12, 2021, 10:52:59 pm »
I just tonight had an idea of trying to watch old episodes of The Highlander, if that counts for researching my Scottish heritage. My then-husband and I used to watch the show every Friday night at about midnight. Just tonight the show came up in another conversation and I had the idea of trying to watch an episode or two.

It will be a tough assignment, of course. Imagine the burden of having to sit through all these visuals on my way to ferreting out genealogical data. Yeah yeah yeah, so you're shirtless and look like you're been to the gym, let's get back to your thoughts about Inverness!

Unfortunately, it appears that actor Adrian Paul is not Scottish, he's English. But The Highlander is, so that counts, right?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2111 on: February 13, 2021, 08:32:03 pm »
Enjoy your "research"! Watching Outlander was one way I got hooked on genealogy; maybe it will work for you!

I've been reading about how the name Read is a variant of Red, describing the hair color of your ancestors, maybe!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2112 on: February 14, 2021, 11:13:48 am »
Enjoy your "research"! Watching Outlander was one way I got hooked on genealogy; maybe it will work for you!

I've been reading about how the name Read is a variant of Red, describing the hair color of your ancestors, maybe!

And the genes live on in my hair, my brother's hair and my son's hair!

However, I always thought my name was Read because I am a writer. Or is it the other way around? Maybe my ancestors were writers and I inherited those genes. That at least does apply to my immediate ancestors -- my grandfather was a newspaper editor and both my folks was in advertising writing.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2113 on: February 21, 2021, 09:47:31 pm »
Guess what? I saw a movie today...in a movie theater! "Blithe Spirit" starring Dan Stevens and Judy Densch. From a play by Noel Coward. My companion had seen the original version starring Rex Harrison and said it was nothing like what we saw today. Still, it was fun and felt daring to go to a movie theater. It's been nearly a year! We wore our face masks the whole time.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2114 on: February 21, 2021, 10:51:07 pm »
Guess what? I saw a movie today...in a movie theater! "Blithe Spirit" starring Dan Stevens and Judy Densch. From a play by Noel Coward. My companion had seen the original version starring Rex Harrison and said it was nothing like what we saw today. Still, it was fun and felt daring to go to a movie theater. It's been nearly a year! We wore our face masks the whole time.

I didn't know they remade that. Is it recent? Did Dame Judy play Madame Arcati?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2115 on: February 21, 2021, 10:57:53 pm »
I just tonight had an idea of trying to watch old episodes of The Highlander, if that counts for researching my Scottish heritage. My then-husband and I used to watch the show every Friday night at about midnight. Just tonight the show came up in another conversation and I had the idea of trying to watch an episode or two.

It will be a tough assignment, of course. Imagine the burden of having to sit through all these visuals on my way to ferreting out genealogical data. Yeah yeah yeah, so you're shirtless and look like you're been to the gym, let's get back to your thoughts about Inverness!

Unfortunately, it appears that actor Adrian Paul is not Scottish, he's English. But The Highlander is, so that counts, right?

So, who's it gonna be, Adrian Paul or Same Heughan (sp?)? Pick one.  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2116 on: February 22, 2021, 12:24:09 am »
I didn't know they remade that. Is it recent? Did Dame Judy play Madame Arcati?
Yes. It was a 2020 production. I saw it on December30. I considered it amusing but not wonderful. I did go to the Library to see if I could read the play but it was borrowed. Perhaps I can try again this week. Besides Dame Judy I wanted to see Dan Carter as I had a crush on him in Downton Abbey and was annoyed when they killed him off (he wanted to leave the series). I did not have the same reaction to him this time.

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2117 on: February 22, 2021, 10:48:17 am »

The former.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2118 on: February 22, 2021, 07:50:52 pm »
Yes. It was a 2020 production. I saw it on December30. I considered it amusing but not wonderful. I did go to the Library to see if I could read the play but it was borrowed. Perhaps I can try again this week. Besides Dame Judy I wanted to see Dan Carter as I had a crush on him in Downton Abbey and was annoyed when they killed him off (he wanted to leave the series). I did not have the same reaction to him this time.

My friend said that Stevens overacted. He certainly did give the impression that writer's block was driving him crazy. The person who played Elvira also overacted. But Densch was excellent as usual.

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2119 on: February 22, 2021, 09:11:12 pm »

The former.

So of course the latter is all yours.