Author Topic: It was at the time, culturally, it gave me the idea that movies can be important  (Read 5389 times)

Offline Peter John Shields

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • On a river bank.
    • My web page.
http://attitude.co.uk/gyllenhaal-brokeback-mountain-showed-me-the-power-of-movies/

The film won prizes for Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Score, but controversially missed out on Best Picture to Crash.

“It was at the time, culturally, it gave me the idea that movies can be important,” Gyllenhaal told The Huffington Post. “That they do have some sort of political value… it’s become something beyond what any of us could have imagined.”

He continued: “It’s a beautiful story and it was very successful in many different ways and so that’s what brought a lot of the attention…

“That film lives in its own space. It’s one of those films that’s no longer mine – it’s sort of everyone’s.”

The movie follows Jack Twist (Gyllenhaal) and Ennis del Mar (Ledger), who begin a complicated romantic relationship after herding sheep together one summer in the Wyoming mountains.

Earlier this year, a Brokeback Mountain opera opened in Madrid – find out more here.

Take a look at our Picture Special dedicated to Jake Gyllenhaal here.
Cheerio,
PJ

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Thanks for sharing, it's good to see what Jake has to say about that role and film.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Yes, he should talk about that experience more. As well as write a chapter in the Brokeback Mountain coffee table book that I wish would be published!
"chewing gum and duct tape"