Author Topic: "Boyhood" Richard Linklater's film 12 years in the making  (Read 11309 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: "Boyhood" Richard Linklater's film 12 years in the making
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 05:13:22 pm »
I loved Boyhood.

The thing is - there is no storyline.

It's just like life itself, things just happen. Sometimes there is a connection to something that happened earlier, sometimes there isn't.

Everyday family life, little things that make up a day, a week, a year. People grow, mature, get older.

Life itself.

I saw it last summer, I'd like to see it again if I get a chance.

Well said. I loved it too and hoped it would go on longer, which says a lot about the acting. It is definitely in my top five.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 05:41:31 pm »
I loved Boyhood.

It's just like life itself, things just happen. Sometimes there is a connection to something that happened earlier, sometimes there isn't.

Everyday family life, little things that make up a day, a week, a year. People grow, mature, get older.

Life itself.

I agree - but I have enough of life itself. I want fiction damn it  :laugh:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 05:55:57 pm »
 :laugh: Monika!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 11:36:15 pm »
I agree - but I have enough of life itself. I want fiction damn it  :laugh:

Well, "life itself" doesn't often get shown on film.  Plus, it's still fiction. Maybe not uber-exciting, but it still feels real.  And that's rare especially with Oscar nominations.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 05:46:30 am »
Thank you, Vincent and Paul, for explaining. :)

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 09:24:39 am »
I loved Boyhood.
Life itself.

Yeap.  No loud explosions. No special effects. No aliens or super heros.  Just a portrait of the things we do daily to survive, grow, change... and just be.  Mason's taking those photos at the end was very important...

Nope.  It's not everyone's cup of tea...  Either you "get it" or you do not.. No harm, no foul.  Just like many people did not "get" BBM, but it kicked some of us hard, Boyhood did this to me again.   

Many elements here remind me of the similar struggle between Jack and Ennis over those decades - just to seize the moments, or have them seize you, to dare to dream, to dare to love, to dare to have that "cow and calf operation...", to dare to follow thru on a commitment (Jack's ashes), ..........   V.

How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 09:48:42 am »
Well, "life itself" doesn't often get shown on film.  Plus, it's still fiction. Maybe not uber-exciting, but it still feels real.  And that's rare especially with Oscar nominations.

I am also looking for things that feels "real", but it's more about the emotions than whether the film portrays something that could be real, for example a connection and bond between to characters in a movie set in space can feel more genuine than a relationship between two characters in a story set in present time.

Like you said, it is all fiction and the reality in Boyhood is really as true as the world of The Avengers.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, however, and I hope it does well in the Oscars race.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2015, 01:32:36 pm »
I think in fact Richard Linklater sort of teases you -- he sets up situations that look like they're going to lead somewhere dramatic -- and in any other movie, they would. The scene where the older camping boys are harassing the younger ones. Or the scene where the kid meets a girl on a bike and they walk along together talking. You think you know what's coming in both cases based on what you're trained to expect from more conventional plots. It doesn't happen that way, though, because this is more like "real life."