Author Topic: Documentary: MATT SHEPARD IS A FRIEND OF MINE (2014) opened February 6 2015  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

DOCUMENTARY:
MATT SHEPARD
IS A FRIEND OF MINE
(Official 2015 Trailer)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mraqkorocg[/youtube]
Published on Jan 14, 2015

The official trailer for the new award-winning documentary MATT SHEPARD IS A FRIEND OF MINE, which explores the life and tragic death of Matthew Shepard, the gay student brutally murdered in Laramie, Wyoming in one of the most notorious hate crimes in U.S. history. Framed through the personal lens of friends and family, it’s a story of loss, love, and courage in the face of unspeakable tragedy. NOW PLAYING IN SELECT THEATERS!

#RememberMatt
Facebook: facebook.com/matthewsheparddocumentary
Twitter: twitter.com/MyFriendMatt

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2555302/

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/06/movies/matt-shepard-is-a-friend-of-mine-a-documentary-from-michele-josue.html

MOVIE REVIEW
Shifting the Spotlight
Back to the Man They Knew

‘Matt Shepard Is a Friend of Mine’
a Documentary From Michele Josue
By NICOLAS RAPOLD
FEB. 5, 2015

Michele Josue with Matt Shepard, the subject of her film, in 1995. Mr. Shepard was killed
three years later.
Credit Run Rabbit Run Media

A tender reconstruction of personal loss, “Matt Shepard Is a Friend of Mine” retraces the life of the University of Wyoming student whose 1998 murder put a national spotlight on hate crimes against gay people. Variably effective, this debut feature documentary from Michele Josue seeks to restore the Matt Shepard of his friends’ and family’s memories, and in so doing return a human symbol to a state of ordinary but beloved individuality.

Ms. Josue narrates the film as a personal journey and a kind of grief circle with those who knew and loved the gregarious Mr. Shepard. That means a lot of tearful reminiscences, often of fairly routine bonding among friends, though his sense of belonging is, unusually, rooted abroad in the Swiss boarding school he attended while his father worked an oil job in Saudi Arabia. But practically any details would seem poignant in anticipation of what we know would come.

Ms. Josue pushes back those expectations somewhat in a couple of ways. A heartening undertow comes from Mr. Shepard’s parents: a mother ultimately turned activist and a father whose teary adoration is still inspiring. But there’s also an awful episode on Mr. Shepard’s high school trip to Morocco, where he was raped. Before his nationally reported death, he’d suffered hateful violence.

In lingering over moody night streets and trembling faces, Ms. Josue has brought this film to the verge of becoming a tear-jerker. But, as epitomized in an extraordinary scene with a conflicted priest, it’s all part of a shared soul-searching that still continues.

MATT SHEPARD IS A FRIEND OF MINE
Opened on Friday Feb 06 2015
Directed by Michele Josue
1 hour 29 minutes; not rated
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Another interesting perspective on Shepard's life. It reminds me that we are all multi-faceted individuals, and that every person we know will be able to tell a different part of our story.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
I'm surprised to learn about the trip to Morocco. I didn't know about that.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
I'm surprised to learn about the trip to Morocco. I didn't know about that.

Same here.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Judy writes about the Marrocco trip in " The Meaning of Matthew"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Let us celebrate the birthday of Matthew Shepard
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 11:45:35 am »
He would have been 40 years old on December 1. In honor of all the young men who didn't get a chance to grow old, I raise my glass to toast. Join me!  :) :'(

http://www.matthewsplace.com/matthews-story/
"chewing gum and duct tape"