Author Topic: S.O.S. Christmas gifts  (Read 19641 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: S.O.S. Christmas gifts
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 04:41:45 pm »
Last night my friend Phil, the one who organized the Radio City trip, made the logical suggestion--though my one-track mind would never have thought of it--to give small jars of honey along with the beeswax candles, so that's what I'll be doing. I went to market and bought each coworker a beeswax candle in a jar (apple-cinnamon scent) and a small jar of honey.

At the market, one of the areas ordinarily given over to seating for people who buy food to eat at the many food vendors is presently occupied by an enormous O-scale operating toy train display!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 05:40:30 am »
Last night my friend Phil, the one who organized the Radio City trip, made the logical suggestion--though my one-track mind would never have thought of it--to give small jars of honey along with the beeswax candles, so that's what I'll be doing. I went to market and bought each coworker a beeswax candle in a jar (apple-cinnamon scent) and a small jar of honey.

Ha! Good idea. Why didn't we think of that? Kudos to Phil.

At the market, one of the areas ordinarily given over to seating for people who buy food to eat at the many food vendors is presently occupied by an enormous O-scale operating toy train display!  :D

I just visited the Philadelphia Christmas Village website in search of a photo of the train. Didn't find one, but I have to say it really looks very German. Often it's funny what is sold as 'typical German' in the US. But Philly apparently got it right! :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 05:38:46 pm »
I just visited the Philadelphia Christmas Village website in search of a photo of the train. Didn't find one, but I have to say it really looks very German. Often it's funny what is sold as 'typical German' in the US. But Philly apparently got it right! :)

The toy train display isn't in the Christmas Village. It's in Reading Terminal Farmers' Market.

I believe maybe a German Kristkindlmarkt (sp?) was the inspiration for the city's Christmas Village. I go by it almost every day going to and from my job, so you'd think I'd find time to explore it, but so far, no.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.