Author Topic: The Classic TV Thread  (Read 17156 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
The Classic TV Thread
« on: January 07, 2016, 02:49:50 pm »
Everything old is new again!  LOL

Well, this thread has been popular on DCF, and I couldn't find one here, so I thought, "Why not start one here?"

The purpose of this thread is for discussion of favorite TV series, from the 50s - 90s.  Shows may be soaps, cartoons, dramas, comedies, what have you.

Pics are permissable as well, as are stories about the actors/actresses who gave life to our favorite TV characters.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

Re: The Classic TV Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 02:50:55 pm »
and while this isn't the first type of posts I'd wanted here, it is a good way to remember those who entertained us on the  small screen.

Pat Harrington, Schneider on 'One Day at a Time,' dead at 86

By Todd Leopold, CNN

Pat Harrington, the popular comedian and voice-over talent who made a lasting impact as superintendent Dwayne Schneider on the hit sitcom "One Day at a Time," has died, according to his agent. Harrington was 86.

"We have all lost a gracious human being who will always be remembered for his portrayals of the human condition," Phil Brock of the Studio Talent Group said in a statement. "Pat had the ability to bring laughter and kindness to any role. The twinkle in his Irish eyes let you know that you were in on the joke. His was an extraordinarily impactful long lasting career."

He died Wednesday, according to a Facebook post from his daughter Tresa Harrington.

"Dear Friends, it is with the most unimaginable pain and sadness, that I tell you my father, Pat Harrington, Jr. passed away at 11:09 PM this evening," she wrote, accompanied by a picture of her father as Schneider. "We were all with him today and tonight: crying, laughing and loving him. This is the single most heart wrenching and physically painful thing, I've ever had to endure."

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/07/entertainment/pat-harrington-obit-dead-feat/index.html

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 02:55:43 pm »

R.I.P. Wayne Rogers, M*A*S*H’s Trapper John

By Sam Barsanti

As reported by multiple outlets, actor Wayne Rogers, best known for his role as Trapper John McIntyre on M*A*S*H, died on December 31 due to complications from pneumonia. He was 82.

Rogers was born in Alabama in 1933, and before he became an actor, he earned a history degree from Princeton University and served in the Navy. He had many different roles in various TV shows throughout the ’50s and ’60s, including recurring appearances on Stagecoach West, The FBI, and Gunsmoke. In 1972, though, he was cast in his most famous role, Trapper John in M*A*S*H.

Supposedly, Rogers initially planned to audition for the role of Hawkeye Pierce, but he chose Trapper John instead when he decided that Pierce was too cynical of a character. Of course, Alan Alda eventually got the role of Hawkeye Pierce, and made the wisecracking doctor into the show’s breakout character. This inspired the show’s writers to focus on Pierce more than Trapper John, which frustrated Rogers and eventually drove him to quit the show.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-wayne-rogers-mshs-trapper-john-230305

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 02:58:52 pm »
I hope this doesn't sound disrespectful, but Trapper John was  one of my TV crushes as a kid, it was weird, not being out, and not really understanding what these feelings were then.

I loved his smile and laugh!  LOL

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 04:02:29 pm »
I don't think it's disrespectful. Wayne Rogers was a cutie, with that curly hair.

I'd read somewhere that he'd passed, but I hadn't heard about Pat Harrington.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 09:46:07 am »
Classic TV today.

I woke up earlier than I usually do on a weekend (but I went to bed earlier than usual on a Friday night) and was looking for something on TV to watch.

Currently watching The Flying Nun.  :laugh:

I haven't seen this show in years!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 10:06:42 am »
Now The Monkees are on!  LOL

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 11:11:23 am »
You didn't watch the royal wedding?  :o
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 11:19:32 am »

Not me, either. But from a news clip I've seen, I'm sorry I missed Bishop Curry's sermon. Apparently it was quite something. Not you're run-of-the-mill Anglican preaching.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 12:54:26 pm »

Nope.  I'm not into the Royals.  I don't wish them ill, but If I never heard about them again, I wouldn't feel like I'm missing something.