Author Topic: The Classic TV Thread  (Read 17158 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Classic TV Thread
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 11:45:35 am »

I haven't seen a bit of the wedding. Maybe 2-3 still pix at most.

But Clarissa posted this on Facebook today -- not sure if you all saw her post -- and I gained more respect for Meghan Markle. Somehow I managed to watch the video without reading who it was, and I already liked it when I thought it was just some random girl!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfaGleA4qYo[/youtube]

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 04:32:16 pm »
Yes, I've been seeing that making the rounds on FB.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Stradford

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 09:59:22 am »
Yes, I've been heavily using Ibutamoren and seeing that making the rounds on FB.

Never seen this video of Meghan before. That's pretty cool. I didn't know she was into the business from such a young age.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 10:40:44 am by Stradford »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 03:07:00 pm »
Never seen this video of Meghan before. That's pretty cool. I didn't know she was into the business from such a young age.

I must have missed the part about her being into the business. I took her to be some regular kid who was offended by the commercial and got the company to change it.

I'm offended by those commercials, too. That one's particularly bad, but all housekeeping commercials that focus on women -- i.e., roughly 100% of them -- offend me.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 10:08:52 pm »

Veteran Actor Georgia Engel Passes Away At Age 70

by BWW News Desk Apr. 15, 2019 

BroadwayWorld is saddened to report the passing of veteran stage and screen actor, Georgia Engel. She was 70 years old.  Georgia's Broadway roles included Mrs. Tottendale in The Drowsy Chaperone; Minnie Fay in Hello, Dolly! with Ethel Merman, The Boys From Syracuse, and My One and Only with Tommy Tune.  Off-Broadway she was seen in Annie Baker's John at Signature Theatre for which she won an Obie Award, Uncle Vanya at Soho Rep, and, Will Eno's Middletown at Vineyard Theatre.

Her most recent stage role of note was appearing opposite Lillias White, Donna McKechnie, and Andre de Shields in the musical Half Time at Paper Mill Playhouse.

She was best known for her work as Georgette Franklin Baxter on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, on which she appeared from 1972 until the show ended in 1977. The role won her two Emmy nominations.  After that series ended, she teamed up with former Mary Tyler Moore Show co-star Betty White for The Betty White Show during its first and only (1977-1978) season.  Engel received consecutive Emmy nominations as outstanding guest actress in a comedy series in 2003, 2004, and 2005 for her role on Everybody Loves Raymond as Robert Barone's mother-in-law, Pat MacDougall.

^^^^^                                                                                           ^^^^^^
                       Georgia                                                                                            Georgia

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Veteran-Actor-Georgia-Engel-Passes-Away-At-Age-70-20190415

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 09:04:23 am »
Sad. But also, Betty White looks so young in that photo. I guess of course, that was 40+ years ago, so she would be. But for some reason I think of her as always looking the age she is now.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 10:31:42 am »
Sad. But also, Betty White looks so young in that photo. I guess of course, that was 40+ years ago, so she would be. But for some reason I think of her as always looking the age she is now.

It's shocking to think it was that long ago. It seems like the MTM show ended only a few years ago. I've noticed that about other TV shows, too, but then I also "feel" like the year can't be 2019, like it can't be any later than 2009 at the most. It's difficult for me to grasp that we are only six years from completing the first quarter of this century (not that we'll see the end of it).
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 04:51:55 pm »
It's shocking to think it was that long ago. It seems like the MTM show ended only a few years ago. I've noticed that about other TV shows, too, but then I also "feel" like the year can't be 2019, like it can't be any later than 2009 at the most. It's difficult for me to grasp that we are only six years from completing the first quarter of this century (not that we'll see the end of it).

What, you don't plan on living to 140+?

We're lucky we won't be here until the end of the century. I feel sorry for my kids, who have at least a chance of it -- they'll be 104 and 106, but their great-grandmother lived to 105. By the end of the century, some scientists predict the earth will be uninhabitable 20 degrees on either side of the equator.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2023, 05:06:47 pm »
Was just reminiscing about classic shows from my childhood, but of radio, not TV. When I was young my mother used to listen to Dinah Shore and Arthur Godfrey. I guess Dinah was the Ellen of the time. They were national shows. I realize that now because the announcer would always say, "It's xx minutes past the hour." But what hour? You would have to look at your clock to find out.

Every room had its own clock, its own wastebasket. Our phone hung on the wall next to a counter that divided the dining room from the kitchen. That was where the radio was too, but it was portable. It could go into any room, or even outside. When we had to go downstairs during a tornado warning, the radio came along. We had to hide under heavy metal desks as big as baby elephants. One time, I took a chance to peek outside and the sky was a sickly yellow color.

Does anyone have any memories of classic radio shows to add?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2023, 09:33:59 pm »
Does anyone have any memories of classic radio shows to add?

None here.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.