Author Topic: Yale cartoonist Ngozi Ukazu's CHECK PLEASE a young gay hockey player (who bakes)  (Read 770859 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
John, you find the coolest stuff!

Aww! Gosh, thanks Chuck! Can you believe it, I discovered Ngozi's cartoon when I was looking at London Spy fan art (figures, right??), saw this very interesting set of images of--hockey players? Hockey players--kissing?? I clicked the link, and--I fell into this completely different universe, with a full set of characters, a full, ongoing narrative, and a lively, committed fan base. Who knew?

I really LOVE Ngozi's stuff, I think she's amazingly talented--she's quite young, barely three years out of school (Yale '13) and she's really created something completely new out of--well, nothing, I guess. She wrote a dark screenplay about a collegiate hockey player who's totally in the closet, who gets injured and then becomes addicted to painkillers--I think the character comes to a sad end--and then she decided she wanted to do something different with her character, with her art (I LOVE her art!) and she wanted to do something positive rather than negative. Hence Check Please!

FYI, I went to Patreon and became one of her 'patrons'--one can give $1, $3, or $5 a month. Being a patron is different than being a subscriber, because the cartoon itself is free (although you do get the occasional 'streams' to patrons to show what she's currently doing) but I felt like I wanted to do something, to show my appreciation for her talent and her VERY positive actions. Some people might think--uh oh, GAY AGENDA!, and I say--GOOD! Ngozi is originally from Texas (who then went to Yale), and her adorable gay protagonist, Bitty, is from Madison, Georgia (now going to school in Massachussetts), so you know she's doing it with insight and feeling!

Again, thanks Chuck for liking it!  :-*
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:55:13 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
Thanks for exerpting that! Verra nice! I wonder what Bitty is a nickname for.  :)

Thanks Lee! I had been finding some pretty bad (  ::)  ) Check Please! Fan fic, and then I found this one--loved it!--I wanted to post it here, but it was long and parts of it were a little bit, uh, steamy--so I made it a Reader's Digest version, with links, so people can read the full story.

Re Bitty's nickname--well, Eric Richard Bittle is only 5'-6(and-a-half!)" tall--or not-so-tall. He says it's his mother's fault--it was her genes that did it. Also, one of his other, older teammates is nicknamed 'Shitty' (the one with the mustache and who just got into Harvard Law), so Bittle became itty-bitty, Bitty, or Bits for short. (Ha ha--he's SHORT, get it? and Jack is 6'-1".)

At this point he was already 'Bitty', but see the 4th panel below when 'Shitty' Knight calls him (in a very friendly manner) 'Itty Bitty':
(FYI, in all the following cartoons, I've EXCERPTED but give the original links)

SEASON 1: FRESHMAN YEAR
SPRING
Linemates
http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/post/87552365847

"You're a better player when you're with Bittle"--ouch, burn! Don't worry, though--the resentment doesn't last--when the two boys are both taking a course: HIST376: Women, Food, & American Culture

SEASON 2: SOPHOMORE YEAR
FALL
HIST376: Women, Food, & American Culture
http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/post/107448480725

But Ngozi knew what she was doing--she knew what Jack was thinking--even if he didn't really knew it--yet--when Jack was thinking about his upcoming last game, and playing with his camera--(for the photography course, of course)---see the last panel--

SPRING
Post II: Frozen Four
http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/post/133607116067

Of course, it might have been the cookies--

SPRING
Shinny
http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/post/114354086122

Or it might have been the hug--

SPRING
Post III: Last Game (Jack's last game)
http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/post/135214989017

Or it might have been--well, this--

SPRING
Goodbye for the Summer - Part II
http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/post/140054689882

It all ends well--we hope! (Montrealer Francophone Jack is nagging Bitty about his vocab test for his French class, which has got to be a really good sign, no?)

SEASON 3: JUNIOR YEAR
FALL
Meet the Falconers
http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/post/142983565002

:D 8)

(I'm sorry, after London Spy, I really, really, REALLY need a happy ending!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:00:42 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:01:19 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/episodes

Ok, a bit of history, BUT--eventually scroll down to see
some very BIZARRO metaphysical poltergeist notes and
captioning--seriously, I was that really YOU, Ngozi?

VERY NAUGHTY if so!  :o ::) :laugh:

SEASON 1: FRESHMAN YEAR
SPRING
Goodbye for the Summer
http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/post/97163723457

FIRST I have to say--Uhm, WHAT??
What the FUCK?? Is Bitty VAMPING
and BATTING HIS EYES at our
poor Mr. Zimmermann?? Yes, he IS,
the HUSSY!! I mean rilly!!

Next:

Ok, now see the magical writing/
metaphysical poltergeist notes and
captioning below--hilarious and
NAUGHTY!

Oh my!
"Where the metaphysical magic happens"
and
"WHOA" is Jack's ass!
(we have to say--nice ass!)
and--
Never mind! You can see the rest of it
 for yourselves!

;D

Finally--

Ngozi replies with a rough sketch to a
frustrated anonymous fan--

✓ *sigh* I’m, like, really upset that Jack has yet to kiss Bitty, and Bitty has yet to touch Jack’s butt. They were sitting right next to each other! You could’ve made it happen but you didn’t and I hate you.

::) :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:02:16 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
OMGCHECKPLEASE!FANART_SYLVIAMORRIS

Zimbits Week (Zimmermann/Bittle) was apparently a year ago, 2015. I'm with Jack--are they in a cult?? Oh well--fans always be crazy!

welcome to the first ever zimbits week! this is a week all about the celebration of the lovely ship jack/bitty,
where you can share your talents with the whole fandom.

http://zimbitsweek.tumblr.com/

zimbits week has officially begun!!

In which Jack thinks they’re dating and Bitty is oblivious: Part 1 (LDR: Long Distance Relationship) July 2015

In which Jack thinks they’re dating and Bitty is oblivious: Part 2 (exams) July 2015

In which Jack thinks they’re dating and Bitty is oblivious: Part 3 (coffee) July 2015

In which Jack thinks they’re dating and Bitty is oblivious: Part 4
(Regency AU - you bet they’re wearing semi-historically accurate navy uniforms
that I totally referenced from Persuasion.)
July 2015

(Sorry, I can't find this entry anywhere--oh well!)
In which Jack thinks they’re dating and Bitty is oblivious: Part 5 (fist-bumps) July 2015

http://zimbitsweek.tumblr.com/[/center]

In which Jack thinks they’re dating and Bitty is not completely oblivious: Part 6 (Stanley Cup) 9 months ago

http://sylvia-morris.tumblr.com/post/123847039051/in-which-jack-thinks-theyre-dating-and-bitty-is
http://sylviamorris.com.au/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:03:38 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
CHECKPLEASE!FANFIC

Yet another highly excerpted/slightly expurgated
piece of Check Please! fanfic (by the same author
as the previous post), and once again, click
the provided link below to read the full text
(the original is 3538 words).

It’s not the first time it happens, but it’s the first time it happens after Jack hasn’t slept well, hasn’t played well.

He’s exhausted down in his bones. They haven’t had more than one day off since the beginning of February. Winter is officially thawing into spring, and Jack is tired.

The beat reporter says, “You guys are only the second team, behind Edmonton, to use Pride Tape. It’s not something mandatory that your team has done, but most of everyone on the roster is using it.”

Jack nods. “Edmonton set a good example.”

The reporter says, “Samwell University, where you played as captain for most of your time there, has a statistically high gay community.”

Jack blinks at the reporter, slow like molasses. He exhales through his nose, and, after a too-long pause, says, “Sorry, did you want me to say something about that? You didn’t ask a question.”

On the other side of the locker room, Patty smirks and snorts a laugh.

Jack says, “There are all sorts of people everywhere. Is there anything else?”

\_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \_

There are whispers, because there have always been whispers. Jack doesn’t hear them, doesn’t care to listen. He goes home to his apartment and climbs into his bed and kisses at Bittle’s shoulder before tucking his knees up behind Bittle’s and exhaling. The sound of Bittle’s soft snoring is better than any noise Deadspin could make.

(....)

Jack has a ring box that is burning a hole in the back of his sock drawer.

When Bittle kisses him, pushes into him, curls around him, wraps his hands around him, Jack’s chest gets heavy and his throat gets tight. Bittle smiles into Jack’s skin, laughs into the spot where his neck and shoulder meet. He runs his hands along Jack’s sides like he’s something delicate, something that could break but shouldn’t. He sets his feet in Jack’s lap when they’re on the couch and he drives when they go to visit Shitty in Cambridge and lets Jack leave his hand on his thigh the whole way there. He loves Jack like he deserves it, which Jack isn’t really sure about, but is something he’s willing to try to earn every single day.

(....)

They get most of the way home before Jack remembers to bring it up. “If we don’t make the playoffs this year--”

“You’re gonna make the playoffs,” Bittle interrupts.

Jack sighs. “ If we don’t--” Jack taps his fingertips on his knee while looking at his own reflection in the passenger side window. Past the blurred, half-formed image of his own face, he can see Bittle’s profile. Jack watches him shoulder check, the vision of him shifting when they change lanes, closer to the street lights that line the street. Jack turns to face him and says, “If we don’t make it, I think it’d be a good time to come out.”

He watches Bittle’s knuckles go tight on the steering wheel, and Bittle turns to look at him, blinking at him with wide eyes. Jack says, “Watch the road,” and Bittle swears under his breath.

He puts on his signal and turns into the parking lot of a gas station. The sign says it’s at 2.217 a gallon. On the dashboard, Jack can see that the tank is three quarters full. Bittle says, “Jack,” and it comes out breathy. Jack’s not sure if it’s a question or not.

“If that’s okay with you,” Jack says, because he thought it was obvious--Bittle is half of every choice Jack makes, is the whole reason he does anything, most days. Jack thought it was obvious--he’s not in this alone.

They’re a team, and if Bittle isn’t okay with it, then that’s--that has to be fine.

Bittle says, “I--” He wrings his hands on the steering wheel.

Jack turns towards him, shift against the passenger seat and pull on his seatbelt. He says, “They’d drop the story after a few days, as soon as actual hockey picked up again. And there’s no news bigger than who’ll take home the Cup. I figured--”

“Yeah,” Bittle says. “Okay.”

Jack bites at his bottom lip, then wets it with his tongue. “Really?”

Bittle nods. “Can I ask why, uh--why now?”

Jack looks out the windshield. He cracks his knuckles and says, “I want to marry you.”

When Jack turns to look at Bittle, he’s biting into his bottom lip, but his lips are turned up at the corners. He runs his hand under his eyes.

Jack says, “You can’t be surprised,” with a grin across his face.

“I mean,” Bittle says. He laughs, then, a ridiculously endearing giggle that bursts out of him like it’s out of his control. Jack smiles, and Bittle says, “I hoped so. I want to marry you, too.”

“That’s-- That’s good.”

\_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \_  \_

The Falconers fall out in the first round.

Three days later, before the Flyers and the Penguins are set to meet, but after the first game in the series the Rangers and the Caps, Georgia and her PR team put out a small, concise statement.

Jack read it over before he gave her the okay to send it out. He’s said he’s not interested in doing any press until he and Bittle get back from Turks and Caicos.

It takes about 20 minutes after its release for the NHL PR Twitter account to post it, and after that, it’s all out in the open. It’s funny, how much a little piece of paper with a handful sentences can change so much--a few careful crafted words have now changed Jack’s life forever. Bittle’s, too. The League. Jack hopes, if anything, it changes the lives of however many kids need it--that they’ll know they aren’t alone, that they can have anything they want, that no one can stop them from chasing their dream. It’s sappy, but Jack thinks his life would have taken a much smoother path had someone blazed the trail for him.

It’s a big responsibility, but it’s one that Jack is now, finally, ready to shoulder.

He texts Shitty, can u be made free the 7-14 of july?

Shitty replies, Yeah? Just me?

Jack says, lardo 2

Shitty says, Am I allowed to ask?

Jack smiles. check the internet , he says, because it’s the last time anyone in the world will ever be surprised by this news again in his life.

It takes a few minutes that drag, and Bittle touches the back of Jack’s neck over the couch. He says, “Have you iced your knee yet today?”

Jack says, “Not yet.”

Bittle disappears into the kitchen and says, “An actual disaster, I swear to--”

Shitty says, ?? ? !!!!!!!!! and then Jack’s phone is ringing in his hand.

Jack answers and says, “Hey.”

Shitty says, “Jackabelle, is this real?”

Jack nods, and then smiles when he says, “Uh, yeah. Bittle and I, we’re. We’re getting married in July. Are you going to be free?”

Jack can hear Shitty laughing through the phone and has to bite at his own lip. Shitty says, “Finally some good news.”

Jack laughs at that and says, “The news probably won’t be so kind, in the next few days.”

“Fuck that,” Shitty says. “I’m fuckin’--”

Jack says, “Yeah,” breathless, because he can’t believe it either. He says, “I gotta go. Management told me to keep my phone off for a few days.”

Shitty says, “Yeah, of course. If you need a place to hide out, just come over.”

Jack says, “Thank you.”

Bittle comes back into the room holding an icepack, and Jack hangs up the phone after saying bye to Shitty. He says, “Here,” and holds it out to Jack. He tosses it to Jack, and Jack catches it.

“I think Shitty was crying,” Jack says. Bittle settles beside Jack on the couch, and he leans against Jack’s side.

“Good,” Bittle says with a snort. He taps Jack’s knee and says, “Ice it, come on.”

Jack props his foot up on the coffee table, and rests his free hand on Bittle’s thigh. Bittle pinches Jack’s side, and Jack swats at him. “Hey,” he says, a little in pain and a lot in love.

“Thank you for being brave for me,” Bittle says, suddenly earnest.

Jack’s not sure he’s ever been brave in his life. He’s not sure how brave it is to let a PR team do all his dirty work. But he’s happy to do it. It feels nice, like a life-long weight has been lifted off his chest. He squeezes his hand around Bittle’s leg and scoots down on the couch to rest his head on Bittle’s shoulder.

Every time Bittle smiles at Jack, it lights Jack up from the inside. It’s been years, and it hasn’t gone away. Jack loves him, and he’s spent his whole life standing on the edge of this cliff: him and the closet and the media, and he’s happy now. He’s not afraid of jumping into it anymore, because Bittle is with him.

Jack laces their fingers together, and Bittle says, “Whatcha wanna do now?”

Jack tightens his grip on Bittle’s hand and says, “Anything.”

Notes:

For nevermindedanyway.

happy v-day, nevermindedanyway xo!
          title is from taylor swift's "jump then fall"
          thank you to my wonderful beta<3

(By the way, could I interject?
Bitty would MUCH prefer something by Beyoncé--
and Jack should KNOW that by now.
That is all!)

Jump Then Fall
Taylor Swift

I like the way you sound in the morning,
We're on the phone and without a warning
I realize your laugh is the best sound I have ever heard

I like the way I can't keep my focus,
I watch you talk you didn't notice
I hear the words but all I can think is we should be together

Every time you smile, I smile
And every time you shine, I'll shine for you

Whoa oh I'm feeling you baby
Don't be afraid to jump then fall, jump then fall into me

Baby, I'm never gonna leave you,
Say that you wanna be with me too
Cuz I'ma stay through it all so jump then fall

Well I like the way your hair falls in your face
You got the keys to me I love each freckle on your face, oh,
I've never been so wrapped up,
Honey, I like the way you're everything I've ever wanted

I had time to think it all over and all I can say is come closer,
Take a deep breath and jump then fall into me

And every time you shine, I'll shine for you

Whoa oh I'm feeling you baby
Don't be afraid to jump then fall, jump then fall into me

I'ma stay through it all so jump then fall

The bottoms gonna drop out from under our feet
I'll catch you, I'll catch you
When people say things that bring you to your knees,
I'll catch you
The time is gonna come when you're so mad you could cry
But I'll hold you through the night until you smile

Whoa oh I need you baby
Don't be afraid please
Jump then fall, jump then fall into me

I'ma stay through it all so jump then fall

Jump then fall baby
Jump then fall into me, into me

And every time you shine, I'll shine
And every time you're here baby, I'll show you, I'll show you
You can jump then fall, jump then fall, jump then fall
Into me, into me yeah

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwYVbHZ1tIE[/youtube]
Uploaded on May 25, 2011
Taylor Swift - Jump Then Fall

Rating:                     Not Rated
Archive Warning:     Creator Chose Not To Use Archive Warnings
Category:                 M/M
Fandom:                  Check Please! (Webcomic)
Relationship:            Eric Bittle/Jack Zimmermann
Characters:              Shitty Knight
Additional Tags:       Coming Out  Established Relationship
Language:              English
Collections:           Valentines Please!
Stats:                   Published: 2016-02-15    Words: 3558     Chapters: 1/1     Comments: 40     Kudos: 1162     Bookmarks: 216     Hits: 6207
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:04:16 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
A bit of History: yeah, Bittle would DEFINITELY prefer Beyoncé--

("Jack Laurent Zimmermann, do not blaspheme!")

::) :laugh:

FALL
Moved-In (with soundtrack--)
http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/post/99366428807

--and if you hadn't already noticed The Poster on the wall to the right--

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVUHWCynig[/youtube]
Uploaded on Oct 3, 2009
Beyoncé - Halo

Halo
Beyoncé Knowles

Remember those walls I built?
Well, baby they're tumbling down
And they didn't even put up a fight
They didn't even make a sound
I found a way to let you in
But, I never really had a doubt
Standing in the light of your halo
I got my angel now

It's like I've been awakened
Every rule I had you breakin'
It's the risk that I'm taking
I ain't never gonna shut you out!

Everywhere I'm looking now
I'm surrounded by your embrace
Baby, I can see your halo
You know you're my saving grace
You're everything I need and more
It's written all over your face
Baby, I can feel your halo
Pray it won't fade away

I can feel your halo, halo, halo
I can see your halo, halo, halo
I can see your halo, halo...
Halo, ooh ooh...

Hit me like a ray of sun
Burning through my darkest night
You're the only one that I want
Think I'm addicted to your light
I swore I'd never fall again
But this don't even feel like falling
Gravity can't forget to pull me back to the ground again

And it's like I've been awakened
Every rule I had you breakin'
It's the risk that I'm taking
I'm never gonna shut you out!

Pray it won't fade away

Halo, ooh ooh...
Halo, ooh ooh...
Halo, ooh ooh...
Halo, ooh ooh, oh...

Pray it won't fade away

Halo, ooh oh...
Halo, ooh oh...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:05:37 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
OMGCHECKPLEASE!FANART_AN_APPRECIATION_OF_JACK ZIMMERMANN'S_ASS

It's well-documented!

Look! It has its own TAG!

by classystaches!  http://classystaches.tumblr.com/
MAY 15TH 15:42 1,348 NOTES
#OMGCHECKPLEASE #WINTER CLASSIC SKETCH JAM #OMGCP EXTRAS #EXTRAS
#JACK ZIMMERMANN'S ASS

(Although, sorry, good sentiment, but the drawing immediately below is not as good as Ngozi's renderings--)

(See? Ngozi has studied it.)

HOCKEY SHIT
with RANSOM & HOLSTER
Hockey Butt
http://omgcheckplease.tumblr.com/post/86452346832

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:07:09 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
OMGCHECKPLEASE!FANART_VARIOUS

On the left, that's obviously poutine Bitty has made for Jack. July 28TH 2015 by Ngozi

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:08:57 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"