Author Topic: SLATE: "Why Do Gays Write Fan Fiction? To See Themselves in Mainstream Culture."  (Read 16605 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
A few centuries ago, I took a couple of semesters of Chemistry, and learned about cis- and trans-. It never bothered me at all that, (decades later??) the prefixes became vogue, then common usage as is today--they seemed to 'mirror' (like chemistry! like isomers!) types of selfhood, and seemed like good metaphors. As gay as I was and am, I never doubted I was male (however unconventionally so, to the uptight world of the 50s-80s) and, like you, I'm a cisgender male. Who knew!

Is that where that term comes from? Chemistry? I still hate it!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
Is that where that term comes from? Chemistry? I still hate it!  :laugh:

Here you go, Jeff, hate away! (Believe it or not, there are hordes, no ARMIES of students who hate--HATE! Organic Chem. I actually liked it because I like geometrical patterns--)

Uh-oh! Don't tell people that the Trans from trans fat (which is bad!) is from the same suffix!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cis%E2%80%93trans_isomerism

Cis–trans isomerism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cis/trans isomerism, also known as geometric isomerism or configurational isomerism, is a term used in organic chemistry to refer to the stereoisomerism engendered in the relative orientation of functional groups within a molecule. It is not to be confused with E/Z isomerism, which is an absolute stereochemical description, and only to be used with alkenes. In general, such isomers contain double bonds that cannot rotate, or they may contain ring structures, where the rotation of bonds is restricted or eliminated.[1] Cis and trans isomers occur both in organic molecules and in inorganic coordination complexes. Cis and trans descriptors are not used for cases of conformational isomerism where the two geometric forms easily interconvert, such as most open-chain single-bonded structures; instead, the terms “syn” and “anti” would be used.

The terms “cis” and “trans” are from Latin, in which cis means "on this side"[2] and trans means "on the other side" or "across". The term "geometric isomerism" is considered an obsolete synonym of "cis/trans isomerism" by IUPAC.[3]

cis-but-2-ene                    trans-but-2-ene
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Here you go, Jeff, hate away! (Believe it or not, there are hordes, no ARMIES of students who hate--HATE! Organic Chem. I actually liked it because I like geometrical patterns--)

I remember friends complaining about Organic Chem.

Uh-oh! Don't tell people that the Trans from trans fat (which is bad!) is from the same suffix!

:laugh:

The terms “cis” and “trans” are from Latin, in which cis means "on this side"[2] and trans means "on the other side" or "across".

Like Cisalpine Gaul and Transalpine Gaul.  ;D  ;)

I have no objection to the use of the "cis'" in chemistry--where it belongs. I just hate that term cisgender. I suppose somebody came up with it in contradistinction to transgender.

But I'm afraid I've led this thread astray.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
Like Cisalpine Gaul and Transalpine Gaul.  ;D  ;)

BOOM! God, I used to know stuff like that! Scary, scary thing-- I would NEVER have remembered that, EVER to my dying day, until you unearthed that. Wow.

PREfix, prefix, you dummy (dummy being me!), not suffix! Once again, I cannot figure out is that MISTAKE is my aphasia or my senility!  :laugh:

But I'm afraid I've led this thread astray.  :(

Hey, this is the internet, remember?  :laugh:
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
BOOM! God, I used to know stuff like that! Scary, scary thing-- I would NEVER have remembered that, EVER to my dying day, until you unearthed that. Wow.

And I never even had Latin!  :laugh:  That must've come up on Jeopardy! recently, or something.  :laugh:

PREfix, prefix, you dummy (dummy being me!), not suffix! Once again, I cannot figure out is that MISTAKE is my aphasia or my senility!  :laugh:

And I wasn't laughing at you confusing prefix and suffix. Hey, I never even noticed that.  ::)  :-\  I was just laughing at the notion of not telling people about it being the same trans- as in transfat.  ;D