Author Topic: What's up with Jenny?  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: What's up with Jenny?
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 06:08:38 pm »
Lots of good thoughts here, but let's not discount Alma's appeal that it would be good for their daughters.

I know some folks feel Ennis uses his daughters as an excuse, but I think he does love his little girls and probably is susceptible to the argument that it would be good for them to be closer to other kids to play with (though I note that we only see them playing with each other--on that swing set--though let's also note that Ennis and Alma do set up a swing set for the girls), and not be raised, as he was, on some lonely old ranch.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 06:25:54 pm »
I know some folks feel Ennis uses his daughters as an excuse, but I think he does love his little girls

Sure - that's always been my opinion too, that I've now and then argued at length.... Well, about movie Ennis, that is - since the film does make a particular point IMO of presenting both him and Jack throughout as better and more caring fathers than their short story counterparts. And Ennis does talk of taking the girls to town to get them an icecream. So I'm sure you're right the point of what's best for their daughters is also part of the equation of him eventually agreeing to move.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 06:32:32 pm by Mikaela »

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 10:14:21 am »
I know some folks feel Ennis uses his daughters as an excuse, but I think he does love his little girls and probably is susceptible to the argument that it would be good for them to be closer to other kids to play with (though I note that we only see them playing with each other--on that swing set--though let's also note that Ennis and Alma do set up a swing set for the girls), and not be raised, as he was, on some lonely old ranch.

There's also the scene where he comes home from work and immediately goes in to tend to the two very young children, both of them crying. And the "cain't we move" bedroom scene starts with references clearly indicating that he's the one who puts both of them to bed. Rather unusual for a husband in the mid-1960s.

One thing about the scene with the toddler Alma Junior and infant Jenny that I didn't catch until the third or fourth viewing is that although Ennis seems tired, this is a domestic scene where he looks involved and not particularly unhappy.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 08:25:26 pm »
Speaking of two children swinging on a swingset (as we were just doing!) here's a photo of my two kids (love em to pieces) swinging:

"chewing gum and duct tape"