Author Topic: Armie Hammer & Timothée Chalamet find love in Call Me By Your Name (2017)  (Read 777213 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

FYI, distinguished author André Aciman and producer Peter Spears of Call Me by Your Name  play a visiting gay couple from Chicago in the movie (and who insist in speaking atrocious Italian to the Perlmans)--everyone is saying the scene is hilarious!

From left: Armie Hammer (Oliver) Timothée Chalamet (Elio)   (?)   Amira Casar (Annella) André Aciman (Author--and Mounir)
Esther Garrel (Marzia)  Victoire Du Bois (Chiara) Peter Spears (Producer--and Isaac)

The (partial) cast and crew of Call Me by Your Name

Front Row: Victoire Du Bois (Chiara) Esther Garrel (Marzia) Timothée Chalamet (Elio) André Aciman (Author--and Mounir)
Amira Casar (Annella) Luca Guadagnino (Director)
Center Back Row: Peter Spears (Isaac--and Producer) and, Far Right Back Row: Armie Hammer (Oliver)

Photo: Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images

9 February to 18 February 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/67th_Berlin_International_Film_Festival

(FYI, American actress Maggie Gyllenhaal was a juror!)

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:16:11 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Can't wait to see this film! Thanks for all your lovely images and words. Crema looks like a wonderful place, just south of the Lake District and east of Milan.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!
Can't wait to see this film! Thanks for all your lovely images and words.

Thank you, Lee! And yay!   :D   I really, really hope you'll be able see it--but we'll find out how "limited" a release it will be in the U.S., ugh.   ::)

Crema looks like a wonderful place, just south of the Lake District and east of Milan.

I know that our Paul was a bit worried at first about the relocation from the town of Bordighera (in the Italian province of Liguria on the Italian Riviera) to director Luca Guadagnino's hometown of Crema (in the northern province of Lombardy, but in the movie it is only mentioned as "somewhere in the north of Italy"). Although in André Aciman's 2007 novel the town is only called "B," it's clear it is Bordighera, not only because of the Claude Monet references in the book (Monet went there to paint some very lovely things, and one section of Aciman's book, Part 2, is entitled 'Monet's Berm') but other references which seemed specific and special--like the sea! But the photos and stills taken from the locations, the Perlman family villa (!!) and Sirmione on Lake Garda, which has the "Archaeological site of Grotte di Catullo" look simply ravishing--like you, I cannot wait!

FYI, here's something I just found on line--take a look:

SATURDAY, 16 SEP 2017

Hi! Do you happen to have a list of the locations of the movie? I just discovered I live within an hour of everything, and I wanted to go visit! (Story of my life, they shoot a beautiful movie where I live and I find out a year later >.<) thank you so much for the help!

Well, aren’t you lucky! :)

Fortunately Luca used few locations for the film, mainly around Crema, Moscazzano and Bergamo, so:

Elio's house and most of the biking through the countryside: Moscazzano
Standing in for “B” [Bordighera]: Crema (Piazza Premoli, Piazza Trento e Trieste…)
Train station: Pizzighettone
Fontanili Capralba
Sirmione Lake (most likely Jamaica Beach)
Cascate del Serio
Standing in for Rome: Bergamo, the Agnello D'oro Hotel

If anyone knows of any other locations feel free to comment!

http://monetsberm.tumblr.com/post/165415109261/hi-do-you-happen-to-have-a-list-of-the-locations
https://laterpeaches.tumblr.com/post/165463342951/hi-do-you-happen-to-have-a-list-of-the-locations

And there's this:

DID YOU KNOW?
French writer Stendhal called Bergamo's Piazza Vecchia "the most beautiful square on Earth".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/north/8445907/Bergamo-Italy-hotels-restaurants-and-getting-there.html

"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Bergamo! Joey and I visited there once in the 90s. We had been in Venice, and took a commuter train to Bergamo, on the advice of a foodie friend. Sure enough, we had made reservations at the Agnello d'Oro!!! It's a very old hotel in the "città alta", or high town.

I recall the very beautiful piazza. Also, dinner at the Agnello d'Oro was spectacular: the specialità was "risotto al profumo di bosca"--an incredibly rich concoction with wild mushrooms and truffles. Although you couldn't eat the plates, you could take them home:  the chef designed a new plate yearly with the face of the sun, complimentary with the dish.

I had wondered if the Roman scenes would be included (not mentioned in any review, nor seen in a preview). They're important to the story. Bergamo sitting in for Rome? Molto interessante!

A piu tarde!

• BetterMost Supporter!
Bergamo! Joey and I visited there once in the 90s. We had been in Venice, and took a commuter train to Bergamo, on the advice of a foodie friend. Sure enough, we had made reservations at the Agnello d'Oro!!! It's a very old hotel in the "città alta", or high town.

I recall the very beautiful piazza. Also, dinner at the Agnello d'Oro was spectacular: the specialità was "risotto al profumo di bosca"--an incredibly rich concoction with wild mushrooms and truffles. Although you couldn't eat the plates, you could take them home:  the chef designed a new plate yearly with the face of the sun, complimentary with the dish.

I had wondered if the Roman scenes would be included (not mentioned in any review, nor seen in a preview). They're important to the story. Bergamo sitting in for Rome? Molto interessante!

A piu tarde!

Well, you were in Heaven  then, weren't you, Paul!   :laugh: 8)

Later!

Poor Armie Hammer (Oliver) in "Rome" (Bergamo??) or--maybe even Hell??--we shall see!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:58:08 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
https://twitter.com/CuZn34

by @CuZn34

He had, it took me a while to realize, four personalities depending on which bathing suit he was wearing. Knowing which to expect gave me the illusion of a slight advantage. Red: bold, set in his ways, very grown up, almost gruff and ill-tempered--stay away. Yellow: sprightly, buoyant, funny, not without barbs--don't give in too easily; might turn to Red in no time. Green, which he seldom wore: acquiescent, eager to learn, eager to speak, sunny--why wasn't he always like this? Blue: the afternoon he stepped into my room from the balcony, the day he massaged my shoulder, or when he picked up my glass and placed it right next to me.

Today was Red: he was hasty, determined, snappy.

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by @CuZn34
https://twitter.com/CuZn34

Sep 16 2017 11 Likes

#CMBYN  #CallMeByYourName #elio  #elio perlman  #oliver  #ulliva #armie hammer  #timothée chalamet
#andré aciman #book  #novel  #luca guadagnino #film  #movie  #movies  #film
#lgbt  #lgbtmovie  #sonyclassics  #oscar
#painting  #art  #artist  #fanart  #twitter
#laterpeaches  #🍑
#Red
#later!

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFAN
https://www.garow.me/users/erkinaken/4225893710

my thoughts only
going nowhere

by @erkinaken

I got a copy of the korean translation of #callmebyyourname #cmbyn
with a beautiful illustration cover, and it's aesthetically so satisfying.
The title changed, and it can translate into "that year, the summer's guest."

and there's THE peach🍑🍑🍑 [in Elio's hand, see??] 😂😂

https://www.garow.me/media/1571539586949360017_4225893710

this kind of love and aspiration, @tchalamet @armiehammer

Elio and Oliver in the illustration cover look exactly alike @tchalamet and @armiehammer 😎😎,
which makes everything better and sweeter 🙌🙌

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFAN by @erkinaken

https://www.garow.me/users/erkinaken/4225893710

2017/08/01 10:40:58

#CMBYN   #CallMeByYourName   #Elio #Oliver  #laterpeaches  #🍑
#elio perlman   #oliver ulliva
#andré aciman  #armie hammer  #timothée chalamet  #luca guadagnino  
#book   #newbook  #bookstagram #translation
#film  #movie  #sonyclassics   #lgbt

(Click here for this fan's other post, page 4 in this thread)

Ulliva, Ulliva, Ulliva ---it was Oliver calling me by his name
when he'd imitate it's transmogrified sound as spoken by Malfalda
 and Anchise; but it'd also be me calling him by his name as well,
hoping he'd call me back to mine, which I'd speak for him to me,
and back to him: Elio, Elio, Elio.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:08:20 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
He was baffled to know that apricot trees existed in, of all places, our orchard. On late afternoons, when there was nothing to do in the house, Mafalda would ask him to climb a ladder with a basket and pick those fruits that were almost blushing with shame, she said. He would joke in Italian, pick one out, and ask, Is this one blushing with shame? No, she would say, this one is too young still, youth has no shame, shame comes with age.
I shall never forget watching him from my table as he climbed the small ladder wearing his red bathing trunks, taking forever to pick the ripest apricots. On his way to the kitchen--wicker basket, espadrilles, billowy shirt, suntan lotion, and all--he threw me a very large one, saying, "Yours," in just the same way he'd throw a tennis ball across the court and say, "Your serve."
Of course, he had no idea what I'd been thinking minutes earlier, but the firm, rounded cheeks of the apricot with their dimple in the middle reminded me of how his body had stretched across the boughs of the tree with his tight, rounded ass echoing the color and the shape of the fruit. Touching the apricot was like touching him. He would never know, just as the people we buy the newspaper from and then fantasize about all night have no idea that this particular inflection on their face or that tan along their exposed shoulder will give us no end of pleasure when we're alone.
Yours, like Later!, had an off-the-cuff, unceremonious, here, catch quality that reminded me how twisted and secretive my desires were compared to the expansive spontaneity of everything about him. It would never have occurred to him that in placing the apricot in my palm he was giving me his ass to hold or that, in biting the fruit, I was also biting into that part of his body must have been fairer than the rest because--

Call Me By Your Name  by André Aciman
Recited/Narrated by Armie Hammer
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:00:35 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Timothée Chalamet as Elio (....) is a revelation. His timid reservation sheds away as his sexuality blossoms, exemplified when the camera tracks him dancing through spaces in their 17th-century villa. Whether it's his attraction to Oliver, a female teenager visitor from Paris, or a peach, Chalamet conveys a sense of sexual awakening with flawless authenticity. An immense amount of emotional weight is eventually placed on his shoulders and the result of this is an unforgettably piercing image.

As Oliver, Armie Hammer shows an entirely new side of warmth and charisma. The careful balance of not wanting to emotionally damage Elio then evolving to utter adoration when their relationship progress is acutely conveyed and their chemistry is utterly magnetic. While Michael Stuhlbarg’s character is often in the background, he emerges with the film’s most devastatingly honest scene in a moment of acceptance and guidance in what should be the foundation of every parental guide-book.

https://thefilmstage.com/reviews/sundance-review-call-me-by-your-name-is-an-intoxicatingly-sexy-and-disarmingly-nice-romance/

Sundance 2017 Review
An extraordinary queer romance:
Armie Hammer and Timothée Chalamet
in Luca Guadagnino's disarmingly nice, intoxicatingly sexy film
Call Me by Your Name

by Jordan Raup
January 24, 2017

As Elio gazes upon him, he frames Oliver:
Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer in Call Me by Your Name

PARK CITY -- “I have loved you for the last time,” Sufjan Stevens sings in his original song “Visions of Gideon” in Call Me By Your Name.  It’s a moment of both bittersweet happiness and a farewell to a passion that won’t be replicated again for Elio (Timothée Chalamet) as, deep down, he knows his relationship with Oliver (Armie Hammer) is over after his six-week stay in their Italian villa. Luca Guadagnino’s disarmingly nice and intoxicatingly sexy film is an extraordinary queer romance, one that evocatively explores the body and mind’s surrender to lust and love.

Set in a sun-drenched northern Italy town in 1983, the 17-year-old Elio fills up his free summer hours reading, transcribing music, occasionally going out with nearby friends, and not much else. When Oliver, an chiseled older student from Rhode Island in the process of getting his doctorate, shows up to work with Elio’s professor father (Michael Stuhlbarg), he’s immediately smitten by his looks and confidence. Adapted by Guadagnino, James Ivory, and Walter Fasano from André Aciman’s novel, it’s a script of remarkable clarity as we witness this secret language of shifting boundaries.

When Elio and Oliver visit the local town one day, the former remarks about the site in front of them which held one of the most deathly battles of World War I. In an unbroken shot, they walk around opposite sides of the historic site, revealing as few words as possible about their heart’s desires. In between this division there’s the history of thousands of lives that have been lost, each with their own burning passions. For this moment in history, we’re watching two individuals at the height of their own. It’s a quietly staggering scene, one with gestures and glances that speak volumes about their mutual yearning.

“I have loved you for the last time,” Sufjan Stevens sings in his original song “Visions of Gideon” in
Call Me By Your Name. It’s a moment of both bittersweet happiness and a farewell to a passion that
won’t be replicated again for Elio as he knows his relationship with Oliver is over after his six-week stay.

While comparisons to recent queer dramas like Carol and Moonlight  will inevitably be evoked due to the depiction of unspoken longing, it’s reductive and diminishing to compare these remarkably divergent films. Guadagnino’s latest has more in common with the calmness and sophistication of an Éric Rohmer film, with its conversations featuring classic literature, music, Greco-Roman art, and the films of Luis Buñuel bandied about. This also applies to its visual approach: in contrast to his previous pair of films, I Am Love  and A Bigger Splash,  the director’s camera is more patient while still achieving a vulnerable sensuality. Like Rohmer’s work, the film also basks in the splendor of its location as we travel through the northern Italy countryside.

Lucidly shot by Apichatpong Weerasethakul's frequent cinematographer Sayombhu Mukdeeprom, Call Me By Your Name  is most fascinated with the allure and seduction of the human form. The opening credits, which display photographs of famous Italian sculptures, foreshadow the physical presence of our leads, particularly Hammer’s Oliver. Guadagnino is a director who clearly loves his actors and superbly conveys this through his perspective. As Elio gazes upon him, he frames Oliver, who is almost always shirtless sporting short shorts, from a low angle as he dances and swims, his imposing sexuality towering over the frame and disarming Elio.

Chalamet, who got big-budget experience in Interstellar  and [was impressive] in last year’s Miss Stevens — another film in which his character pursues a romance outside of societal acceptance — is a revelation. His timid reservation sheds away as his sexuality blossoms, exemplified when the camera tracks him dancing through spaces in their 17th-century villa. Whether it's his attraction to Oliver, a female teenager visitor from Paris, or a peach, Chalamet conveys a sense of sexual awakening with flawless authenticity. An immense amount of emotional weight is eventually placed on his shoulders and the result of this is an unforgettably piercing image.

As Oliver, Hammer shows an entirely new side of warmth and charisma. The careful balance of not wanting to emotionally damage Elio then evolving to utter adoration when their relationship progress is acutely conveyed and their chemistry is utterly magnetic. While Stuhlbarg’s character is often in the background, he emerges with the film’s most devastatingly honest scene in a moment of acceptance and guidance in what should be the foundation of every parental guide-book.

To accompany the classical music is a trio songs from the aforementioned Sufjan Stevens, two of them original. Along with employing a new ethereal piano arrangement of “Futile Devices” in a moment of longing, the original songs have the feel of tracks off Carrie & Lowell, albeit with more of a wistful elation. For one of these songs, Guadagnino utilizes one of his few overt directorial flourishes: the effect of a film burn as a lonely Elio contemplates furthering their relationship, then later the visualization of a camera negative when he reflects on the time they have had. Both are fleeting flourishes, appearing only for a few seconds, but indelibly convey the passion inside Elio’s soul.

A feat of accentuated sound design, as hands run down staircases and across bodies, and arresting cinematography, luxuriating in the beauty of Italy and those that occupy it, Call Me By Your Name  has the effect of being transported to this specific time and place. It’s a film of overwhelming empathy and playfulness as loneliness turns into gratification and desires are slowly manifested into reality.

[A-]

Call Me By Your Name premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and opens on November 24.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2dNTjE6ItI[/youtube]

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME  Soundtrack
Futile Devices - Sufjan Stevens

Published on Jul 27, 2011

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:07:46 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
SOURCE FRAGMENTS

The next morning we went swimming together. [....] Later, as he performed his own version of the dead-man's float, I wanted to hold him, as swimming instructors do when they hold your body so lightly that they seem to keep you afloat with barely a touch of their fingers. Why did I feel older than he was at that moment? I wanted to protect him from everything this morning, from the rocks, from the jellyfish, now that jellyfish season was upon us--

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
http://www.imgrum.co/user/_cumberlily_/5482419582

by @_cumberlily_

Dreamy❤😢

9 Likes

#call me by your name  #cmbyn  #andré aciman  #luca guadagnino  #lgbt
#timothée chalamet  #elio  #elio perlman  #armie hammer  #oliver  #ulliva
#portrait  #sketch  #drawing #art  #artist  #fanart  #imgrum
#movies  #film #lgbtmovie  #oscar
#later!

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by @_cumberlily_

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 04:05:30 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
https://billowyblueshirt.tumblr.com/

IF NOT LATER, WHEN?
by billowyblueshirt
                                          titled gifset September 19, 2017 154 notes

“When he wasn’t with me, I didn’t much care what he did
so long as he remained the exact same person
with others as he has with me.”

Call Me By Your Name  by André Aciman
Recited/Narrated by Armie Hammer

19th September 2017  154 notes

#callmebyyourname  #cmbyn  #andréaciman  #lucaguadagnino  #lgbt
#timothée chalamet  #elio  #elio perlman  #armie hammer  #oliver  #ulliva
#book  #novel  #gaynovel  #movies  #film #lgbtmovie
#if i have to suffer you all gotta suffer with me
#later!

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by billowyblueshirt