Author Topic: Armie Hammer & Timothée Chalamet find love in Call Me By Your Name (2017)  (Read 779969 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
http://www.pictaram.org/sirayy

by @sirayy

"Why didn't you give me a sign?"
"I did. At least I tried."
"When?"
"After tennis once. I touched you. Just as a way of showing I liked you. The way you reacted made me feel I'd almost molested you. I decided to keep my distance."

Call Me By Your Name  by André Aciman
Recited/Narrated by Armie Hammer

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by @sirayy

4:42 AM Nov 6, 2017 15 Notes, 514 Likes

by @sirayy

Actually, I liked watching them dance together. Perhaps seeing him dance this way with someone made me realize that he was taken now, that there was no reason to hope.

12:37 PM Nov 7, 2017 0 Notes, 217 Likes

by @sirayy

SICK AND TWISTED AND VERY, VERY SAD.

1:29 PM Nov 9, 2017 14 Notes, 675 Likes

Fan Art / Digital Art / Drawings / @sirayyg
#CMBYN   #CallMeByYourName
#elio  #elio perlman  #oliver  #ulliva  #laterpeaches 🍑
#andré aciman  #armie hammer  #timothée chalamet  #luca guadagnino
#book   #novel   #film  #movie  #sonyclassics   #lgbt
#art #artwork #artist #digital art #digitalart #sketches
#digitalpainting #fanart #fanartdigital
#later!

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART

by @sirayy

Peachy

3:12 PM Oct 15, 2017 24 Notes, 363 Likes

by @sirayy

When he came down for breakfast he was wearing my bathing suit. No one would have given it another thought since everyone was always swapping suits in our house, but this was the first time he had done so and it was the same suit I had worn that very dawn when we'd gone for a swim. Watching him wearing my clothes was an un-bearable turn-on. And he knew it. It was turning both of us on.

Sep 21, 2017 6 Notes, 410 Likes

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:45:39 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

:laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

(The movie has developed a young and enthusiastic online fan base, the type typically associated with YA franchises, not art house fare. That's partly thanks to Chalamet's teenage hormonal following and partly because the film plays out like an elaborately mounted fanfic.)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/armie-hammer-his-steamy-new-movie-a-charmed-upbringing-oscars-double-standards-1059752

Armie Hammer
on His Steamy New Movie,*
a Charmed Upbringing and
Oscar's "Double Standards"

by Seth Abramovitch  November 20, 2017, 6:00am PST

SHORT EXCERPT (please click link provided for the long read!)

•••

As Luca Guadagnino tells it — and that's with a thick Italian accent and much gesticulation — no one except Armie Hammer could ever have been his Oliver.

The adaptation of Call Me by Your Name  had been in development almost since the book's 2007 release. In 2014, James Ivory (the 89-year-old half of Merchant Ivory Productions) came on board to write and potentially direct. Guadagnino, who was born in Palermo, Italy, was brought on as a consultant. By 2016, when the film had secured its $3.5 million budget, he had taken over as director. And he knew who he wanted as his star.

But, despite being "one of the most beautiful scripts I've ever read — I cried," Hammer was positive that Oliver wasn't someone he could inhabit. "There were things in the movie I'd never done on film. Not just the nudity, but the really intimate stuff. It scared me, to be honest." Hammer called Guadagnino to pass — but the director had other plans.

"Filmmakers are like charlatans," Guadagnino says with a devilish smile. "It requires a sort of seduction. So I said to him, 'Think about the fact that maybe your fears are a counterpart of your desires. Don't shy away from your fears!' " By the end of their conversation, Hammer was on board. (Guadagnino even managed to get Hammer to agree to full-frontal nudity — none of which made it into the final cut.)

"Luca is a sensualist," Hammer tells me as we make our way back to the city. "He floats through the ether like he wants to make love to everything. He'll literally be like, 'Ooohh — I love your jeans.' " He leans over and places a hand on my thigh, then slowly slides it toward my knee. "At first you're kind of like, 'Whoa.' " (I too was like, "Whoa.") "But then you're like, 'Yeah! They are really nice! Feel this part over here!'"

To get Hammer and Timothée Chalamet, both of whom are straight, comfortable with the many intimate moments depicted in the film, Guadagnino tossed his actors into the deep end. "It was our first official rehearsal," recounts Hammer. "We're in the field behind the villa — me, Timothee and Luca. And Luca says, 'Let's just start at scene 62.' So we flip to the scene, and the stage directions read: 'Elio and Oliver are laying on the berm making out aggressively.' " What followed was a moment of quiet hesitation. "Then we just went for it. Trial by fire." Chalamet, 21, says their offscreen dynamic was like that of close brothers — watching Mike Tyson documentaries and boxing matches and feasting at their favorite restaurants in Crema, the northern Italy town that served as the film's backdrop.

Tougher even than the love scenes for Hammer was one sequence in which Oliver dances with abandon at a disco to "Love My Way" by the Psychedelic Furs. "That was not fun — I don't really enjoy dancing," he says. "I very quickly become the 6-foot-5 gangly guy that's very easy to spot from across the room." In the scene, the locals, including Elio and some summering French girls, are entranced by the Adonis with the sick moves. "So Luca calls 'action' and literally everyone is ogling me, including, like, 50 extras off camera. And the music's pretty quiet, so we can record the dialogue. Here I am, dancing to this quiet music. And I'm just like, 'I hate myself! I hate my life!' " The scene has already gone viral on social media — as has much about Call Me by Your Name  ahead of its Nov. 24 release. (The movie has developed a young and enthusiastic online fan base, the type typically associated with YA franchises, not art house fare. That's partly thanks to Chalamet's teenage hormonal following and partly because the film plays out like an elaborately mounted fanfic.)

Hammer is well aware that the optics of the Elio-Oliver age gap (they are 17 and 24 in the book; Chalamet and Hammer were 19 and 29 during the shoot) will inevitably draw criticism. It did from James Woods, who tweeted in September that the project "chips away the last barriers of decency." Hammer's reply was swift and deadly: "Didn't you date a 19 year old when you were 60?" — a tweet that drew 64,000 likes. Hammer wasn't expecting his response to go viral; he was merely acting on impulse, irritated that Woods, who hadn't even seen the film, "had no moral high ground to stand on and was cheapening what we did."

"We weren't trying to make some salacious, predatory movie," Hammer continues. "The age of consent in Italy is 14. So, to get technical, it's not illegal there. Whether I agree with that or not, that's a whole 'nother Oprah, you know? Would it make me uncomfortable if I had a 17-year-old child dating someone in their mid-20s? Probably. But this isn't a normal situation: The younger guy goes after the older guy. The dynamic is not older predator versus younger boy."

As for the harassment scandals that have upended Hollywood, Hammer voices his unwavering support for the victims. "It's been permissible for too long for people in positions of power to abuse, and for the powerless to be expected to just take it. The system seems to be shaken, and thank God." But he's also certain that "no such power dynamics were at play in these two characters, and I'm excited for people to see the movie and realize that."

Of course, there's another way to consider Call Me by Your Name in this particular moment, and that's as a rare same-sex love story — one in which, as Hammer puts it, "no one gets AIDS, no one has their personal life destroyed and no one gets lynched." It's also a movie that prizes things like language, intellectualism, foreign cultures and fine art. In other words, a perfect rejection of our current political climate. All of which is to say that this could be Armie Hammer's perfect year.

Just don't ask him.

"I've heard the 'This is your moment' speech so many times," Hammer sighs as we return to the idyllic park where our journey began, the one bearing his great-grandfather's name. " 'I'm telling you, Armie, this movie is going to be the thing.' 'No, Armie, this movie is going to be the one.' The way I look at it is I'm building a collage of my work. Call Me by Your Name  is going to do what it's going to do. And then the only thing I really care about is: Can I get more work afterward?"

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
https://twitter.com/mellowbeat__

by @mellowbeat__

원작에 나오는 부분 #CallMeByYourName
나중에 깨지는 그 이론.. 결론적으로 무지개 수영복을 입혀주자.

Later cracked that theory; As a result, Rainbow swimsuit

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by @mellowbeat__

6:50 AM - 27 Nov 2017 7 Likes

#CMBYN   #CallMeByYourName #laterpeaches  #🍑
#elio perlman  #oliver  #ulliva
#timothée chalamet   #armie hammer #andré aciman  #luca guadagnino  
#book   #novel   #film  #movie  #sonyclassics   #lgbt
#art #artwork #artist #illustration

by @mellowbeat__

He had, it took me a while to realize, four personalities depending on which bathing suit he was wearing. [....] Yellow: sprightly, buoyant, funny, not without barbs--don't give in too easily; might turn to Red in no time. Green, which he seldom wore: acquiescent, eager to learn, eager to speak, sunny--why wasn't he always like this?

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by @mellowbeat__

6:52 AM October 6 2017 56 Likes

The Semiotics of the Bathing Suit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiotics

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
https://twitter.com/CuZn34

by @CuZn34

He had, it took me a while to realize, four personalities depending on which bathing suit he was wearing. Knowing which to expect gave me the illusion of a slight advantage. Red: bold, set in his ways, very grown up, almost gruff and ill-tempered--stay away. Yellow: sprightly, buoyant, funny, not without barbs--don't give in too easily; might turn to Red in no time. Green, which he seldom wore: acquiescent, eager to learn, eager to speak, sunny--why wasn't he always like this? Blue: the afternoon he stepped into my room from the balcony, the day he massaged my shoulder, or when he picked up my glass and placed it right next to me.

Today was Red: he was hasty, determined, snappy.

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by @CuZn34
https://twitter.com/CuZn34

Sep 16 2017 11 Likes

#CMBYN  #CallMeByYourName #elio  #elio perlman  #oliver  #ulliva #armie hammer  #timothée chalamet
#andré aciman #book  #novel  #luca guadagnino #film  #movie  #movies  #film
#lgbt  #lgbtmovie  #sonyclassics  #oscar
#painting  #art  #artist  #fanart  #twitter
#laterpeaches  #🍑
#Red
#later!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:07:30 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Timothée Chalamet is handed the difficult task of making Elio authentically aloof and cold at times. Though he’s a teenager desperate for the approval of everyone around him, he possesses a vulnerability that he displays only occasionally. Armie Hammer, who could so easily be reduced to the part of a typically handsome Hollywood stand-in, is mesmerizing; he switches between Oliver’s public brashness and private tenderness with ease, making his character far more than a simple object of desire.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/11/call-me-by-your-name-review/546872/

The Sumptuous Love Story of
Call Me by Your Name
Luca Guadagnino’s tale of budding gay romance in 1980s Italy
is one of the most mesmerizing films of the year.

by DAVID SIMS
29 November 2017 6:00 AM ET

Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer in Call Me by Your Name.

“What do you do around here?” the tall, strapping Oliver (Armie Hammer) asks Elio (Timothée Chalamet), the 17-year-old giving him a tour of the charming Italian village where Oliver will be living for the next six weeks. “Wait for the summer to end,” the bored-seeming Elio says with a sigh. “And what do you do in the winter? Wait for the summer to come?” Oliver shoots back. That only gets a chuckle from Elio, but that line nails the initial mood of Call Me by Your Name, Luca Guadagnino’s sumptuous new romance, which follows a deep connection that springs out of those restless days of late adolescence.

Elio is the intelligent, charming son of archeology professor Samuel Perlman (Michael Stuhlbarg), with whom Oliver, a graduate student, is interning for the summer. Guadagnino’s film, based on the 2007 novel by André Aciman, charts Elio and Oliver’s relationship, which develops haltingly at first but then burns brightly. It’s a swooning tale about the seismic power of first love—one that doesn’t dismiss Elio’s experience as a folly of youth, but instead digs into the unmistakable trace it leaves, for better or worse.

It’s also a story of queer love that isn’t tinged with horror or tragedy, a gay romance about a genuine attachment. At the same time, Call Me by Your Name  doesn’t attempt to sanitize itself as a bland, “universal” film in hopes of appealing to a wider audience. It’s both intensely erotic and intensely contained, acknowledging the very private lives gay men were forced to lead in the early 1980s, when the film is set. As a result, in Call Me by Your Name, virtually every bit of physical contact is crucial and electrifying.

The intimacy Guadagnino (and James Ivory, who wrote the film’s script) finds in these characters is present from the beginning, but Chalamet (a 21-year-old budding superstar who I knew best from an old season of Homeland ) is the audience’s way in, as a boy on the verge of adulthood who develops immediate, if confused, attraction to the confident Oliver. Not long after the two first meet, Elio retires to his room and reclines in his bed, looking at the tuft of hair sprouting from his armpit, and lazily blowing on it. A few scenes later, Elio is bold enough to sneak into Oliver’s empty room and put Oliver’s swimsuit over his head.

Guadagnino doesn’t include these moments to advance the plot or to let the audience in on some secret; the connection between Elio and Oliver is apparent very quickly. Rather, he’s trying to sketch a portrait of personal, formative experiences of sexuality, and of Elio’s relationship with his own body. It’s tremendously insightful work from a director who has long appreciated actors’ bodies as more than aesthetic objects. In his 2009 film I Am Love, Guadagnino presented Tilda Swinton—as a married woman having a dangerous affair—at her most ravishing, and then spends the movie digging into her vulnerable psyche. In A Bigger Splash, a music producer played by Ralph Fiennes was all physicality, dancing wildly for the camera in an extended introduction, but Guadagnino goes on to expose just how strung out his character really was.

Even compared to the director’s previous films (which are excellent and worth watching), Call Me by Your Name  is a huge step forward for Guadagnino. The story manages to transcend all its genre trappings: This isn’t just a luxurious vacation movie, but it’s still crammed to the gills with gorgeous shots of the Italian countryside and Elio’s family home. This isn’t just an erotic drama, and yet the love scenes are all choreographed with care. And most importantly, this isn’t just a coming-of-age tale, but the ardor Elio and Oliver have for each other feels utterly vital, as if every touch will be seared into their memories.

Chalamet is handed the difficult task of making Elio authentically aloof and cold at times. Though he’s a teenager desperate for the approval of everyone around him, he possesses a vulnerability that he displays only occasionally. Hammer, who could so easily be reduced to the part of a typically handsome Hollywood stand-in, is mesmerizing; he switches between Oliver’s public brashness and private tenderness with ease, making his character far more than a simple object of desire. And lurking in the background is Stuhlbarg, wonderful as a knowing father who is content to mostly let his son figure things out by himself, but who steps in with a guiding hand when things get a little tougher. (He also delivers one of the most astonishing film monologues of recent memory.)

Call Me by Your Name  soaks in that end-of-summer mood throughout, one where each move in Elio and Oliver’s courtship is loaded with tension (simply because their time together is so short, and thus so meaningful). As such, it’s thrilling to watch, even as the pair waste the days away swimming, biking, and talking around their feelings; when their dynamic finally explodes into passion, it’s one of the year’s most satisfying film moments. Each element is carefully calibrated, but deployed with consummate grace—this is a film to rush to, and to then savor every minute of.

DAVID SIMS is a senior associate editor at The Atlantic, where he covers culture.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Best Feature

Call Me by Your Name

Luca Guadagnino, director; Peter Spears, Luca Guadagnino, Emilie Georges, Rodrigo Teixeira, Marco Morabito, James Ivory, Howard Rosenman, producers
(Sony Pictures Classics)

[youtube=825,450]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9CvHQRP61M[/youtube]

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
wins the 2017 IFP Gotham Award for
Best Feature

Independent Filmmaker Project
Published on Nov 28, 2017

Director Luca Guadagnino and team (including screenwriter James Ivory and producer Peter Spears) accept the IFP Gotham Award for Best Feature for CALL ME BY YOUR NAME  at the 27th Annual IFP Gotham Awards. The ceremony took place on November 27th, 2017 at Cipriani Wall Street in New York City.

[youtube=825,450]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV_IN9m0TdA[/youtube]

Timothée Chalamet
winning the Breakthrough Actor Gotham Award for
CALL ME BY YOUR NAME

Independent Filmmaker Project

Timothée Chalamet accepts the 2017 IFP Gotham Award for Breakthrough Actor for CALL ME BY YOUR NAME  at the 27th Annual IFP Gotham Awards. The ceremony took place on November 27th, 2017 at Cipriani Wall Street in New York City.

The Gotham Independent Film Awards are American film awards, presented annually to the makers of independent films at a ceremony in New York City, the city first nicknamed "Gotham" by native son Washington Irving, in an issue of Salmagundi, published on November 11, 1807. Part of the Independent Filmmaker Project (IFP), "the largest membership organization in the United States dedicated to independent film" (founded in 1979), the awards were inaugurated in 1991 as a means of showcasing and honoring films made primarily in the northeastern region of the United States.

https://gotham.ifp.org/

Nominations Announced
Thursday, October 19

Awards
Monday, November 27

Watch The IFP
Gotham Awards Online

Monday, November 27, 8pm

Exclusive Red Carpet Show
Begins 6:15pm

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
[youtube=825,450]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOna2IYkzsQ[/youtube]

Find out why Armie Hammer's Mom refuses to see
CALL ME BY YOUR NAME

SiriusXM

Armie Hammer sits down with Andy Cohen (as well as Luca Guadagnino, Timothée Chalamet and Michael Stuhlbarg) in the SiriusXM studios in New York City to talk about his upcoming role as Oliver in Call Me by Your Name. Armie talks about how he believes his mother will not see Call Me by Your Name  due to the film's content.

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

THIS CONVERSATION IS LITERALLY BRILLIANT!
Touching, funny and intelligent!
Sweet and charming, jam packed with juicy details,
it is worth listening/watching for every minute of the 58:36!
(Of one of the many, many lovely moments, one for me, personally, is beyond amazing, at 2:42-4:37: we learn that, sometime in 2014, André, Luca and James Ivory met in a restaurant just immediately below James Ivory's apartment in NY (James is 89 years old, after all!)--a restaurant (on 52nd Street near 1st Ave, I happen to know) I've been to many, many times--I live two blocks away. So, I'm awestruck AND envious--if ONLY I could have been the fly on the wall!)

[youtube=825,450]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGJcC2StRcc[/youtube]

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
Luca Guadagnino and André Aciman
with Hunter Harris (59:28)

The New York Public Library
Published on Nov 27, 2017

Celebrating the release of the new film Call Me by Your Name, a melancholic tale of first love and youthful exploration, director Luca Guadagnino and novelist André Aciman take to the NYPL stage. The two will discuss the making of the story, first in the form of the original acclaimed novel by Aciman, and now as a major feature film by Guadagnino. [New York Magazine's] Vulture's associate editor Hunter Harris moderates the discussion.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:16:12 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

The previous French edition of the book is being reissued with a  title change, from 'Plus tard ou jamais' ('Later or never', pub. Nov 3 2008) to the more consistent 'Appelle-moi par ton nom' ('Call me by your name', pub. Feb 7 2018) but I'm sorry that I didn't buy a copy before all copies of the old title suddenly disappeared. Quel dommage!

HOWEVER-- why didn't they use 'The FONT'?    
https://www.amazon.fr/Appelle-moi-par-ton-nom-Jean-Pierre/dp/2246815797
I have to say I think it's Very Annoying!!  >:(

I mean--the Brazilians managed!

BTW, if, like me (and like André Aciman himself!) you wondered about the handmade, specifically designed 'font' for the movie poster and the opening titles (Lettering for the Poster and Credits by CHEN LI art & calligraphy 陈莉艺术 Milano, ITALIA), Luca, who thinks of everything, explained it all in this Q&A here: 52:10 - 53:53!

[youtube=825,450]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGJcC2StRcc[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGJcC2StRcc

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
Luca Guadagnino and André Aciman
with Hunter Harris (59:28)

The New York Public Library
Published on Nov 27, 2017

Celebrating the release of the new film Call Me by Your Name, a melancholic tale of first love and youthful exploration, director Luca Guadagnino and novelist André Aciman take to the NYPL stage. The two will discuss the making of the story, first in the form of the original acclaimed novel by Aciman, and now as a major feature film by Guadagnino. [New York Magazine's] Vulture's associate editor Hunter Harris moderates the discussion.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:13:36 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"