Author Topic: Armie Hammer & Timothée Chalamet find love in Call Me By Your Name (2017)  (Read 779672 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As for the "non top critic" pans, (this includes the National Review), and there are a handful, DON'T GO THERE! It's a cesspool of bizarre puritanism.

One particularly laughable one, by a certain Sherilyn Connelly of some rag called SFWeekly (!), includes her posting this in the comments section:

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
(I can't do John's lovely graphics.)

Be happy you are not an Aphasic with a bad case of obsessive compulsive disorder like me, Paul!    ;D

Rottentomatoes.com gives CMBYN a 96% fresh rating.  (The only current film with a higher rating is Paddington 2 with 100%, go figure.)

I was curious, and checked the top critic reviews.  Only one was negative.  From Canada's Globe and Mail, a reviewer named Kate Taylor.

Armie: "bumptious"? "laughably implausible as a scholar"? Kate Taylor can try the patience.

Read on, if you dare.

( https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/arts/awards-and-festivals/tiff/the-globes-guide-to-tiff-2017-movies/article35939881/?film=17 )

Critics are paid to be critics and one way to get press is to disagree.  There are a few critics I read, the rest - irrelevant.  Critics are like a*((*, everyone's got one. :)  V.

Yeah, well. I had scanned down the long, long list of top critics quite awhile ago:  https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/call_me_by_your_name/reviews/?type=top_critics

with the legion of their red tomato icons
, and saw Ms. Taylor's lone sore thumb splattered green icon thusly:

It can try the patience. | Original Score: 2.5/4

And I thought--Nope! That tiny face and that tiny, wizened, precious, 5-word précis  just didn't make me feel as though I needed to click through to see the Full Review.

NOPE! Wasn't gonna do it!    ::) ::) ::)  

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Ugh. Nothing for Luca Guadagnino for Director.

Nothing for Armie Hammer, nothing for Michael Stuhlbarg. WTF??   >:( >:(

However, yes, nominations for Call Me By Your Name  as Best Picture (and for the producers Peter Spears and  Luca Guadagnino, Yay!)

and nominations for Timothée Chalamet, James Ivory and Sufjan Stevens (Mystery of Love).  So:  :) :)

Side note, though: nothing whatsoever for Blade Runner 2049 ? Disgusting!!   >:( >:(

UPDATE: They did get quite a few nominations:

Best Cinematography
Roger Deakins, Blade Runner 2049

Best Production Design
Dennis Gassner, Alessandra Querzola, Bladerunner 2049

Best Sound Editing
Mark A. Mangini, Theo Green, Blade Runner 2049

Best Sound Mixing
Ron Bartlett, Dough Hemphill, Mac Ruth, Blade Runner 2049

Best Visual Effects
John Nelson, Paul Lambert, Richard R. Hoover, Gerd Nefzer, Blade Runner 2049

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:36:43 am by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
I practically had to take a shower after reading a few of those reviews.

Yay for Sufjan, finally!  I hope he performs the song.

• BetterMost Supporter!
Yay for Sufjan, finally!  I hope he performs the song.

YAY!! And Yes!!!   :D :D :D

https://www.oscars.org/news/tag/2018-oscars

90TH OSCARS NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT

NOMINEE
Best Motion Picture:
CALL ME BY YOUR NAME

NOMINEE
Best Actor in a Leading Role:
Timothée Chalamet,
CALL ME BY YOUR NAME

NOMINEE
Best Music (Original Song)
“The Mystery of Love” by

Sufjan Stevens,
CALL ME BY YOUR NAME

NOMINEE
Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
James Ivory,
CALL ME BY YOUR NAME

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:31:19 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
Comments from:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/movies/oscar-nominations.html

NYT:
2018 Oscar Nominations: ‘The Shape of Water’ Leads the Race

By BROOKS BARNES UPDATED 11:45 AM

mikeo26 Albany, NY 2 hours ago

Interesting that 'Call Me By Your Name' managed to cop only 4 Oscar nods, albeit three for Best Picture , Adapted Screenplay and Actor. One glaring omission was Luca Guadagnino for director, but the 5 count limit always leaves out strong work. James Ivory's scenario of Andre Aciman's novel is an outstanding example of how to adapt a very literary, first person narrative into a viable, transformative viewing experience : not a slavish blueprint but completely honoring the book's spirit. Guadagnino's visual conception and direction is brilliant and should have been recognized with nominations.

17 Recommend

Tom midwest 2 hours ago

Always interesting. We live out here in red state flyover land and at least half the movies will never be shown in the theater. The latest shoot em up or action picture? of course. Drama? not likely.

25 Recommend

AB Illinois 5 hours ago

Nice that the directing category includes two people of color, and a woman. And one of the white men (Paul Thomas Anderson) should have won already.

Very happy Sufjan Stevens was nominated for original song--it's both a great song and worked perfectly in the film.

3 Recommend

Mark Esposito Bronx 4 hours ago

Biggest surprise was the exclusion of Three Billboards  from the director's category, which, thankfully diminishes its chances of winning best picture. Who should have been nominated: Mudbound  for best picture and the director of Call Me By Your Name, hands down the best pictures of the year.

3 Recommend

SandyG Edina, MN 3 hours ago

Michael Stuhlbarg deserved to be nominated for his outstanding performance in "Call Me By Your Name" - I get teary just thinking about his emotional conversation with his son. And Jamie Bell! He gave a beautiful, heart-breaking performance in "Movie Stars Don't Die in Liverpool", and I don't understand why that movie was completely overlooked.

2 Recommend

Me US 4 hours ago

Jake Gyllenhaal was robbed. He deserves at least a nomination.

2 Recommend

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:49:48 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't

Nothing for Armie Hammer, nothing for Michael Stuhlbarg. WTF??   >:( >:(

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/19/movies/michael-stuhlbarg-call-me-by-your-name-shape-of-water.html

It’s Time to Take a Serious Look at Michael Stuhlbarg
By ADAM COOK  JAN. 19, 2018

During awards season, a handful of performances from the past year become the only ones we talk about, leaving the rest draped in shadow. If there were a Most Valuable Per Minute of Screen Time award, surely Michael Stuhlbarg’s name would be the one on everyone’s lips.

Since his breakthrough lead performance in the Coen brothers’ “A Serious Man” (2009), Mr. Stuhlbarg, a Juilliard graduate who made a name for himself in New York theater, has been cast only in minor roles in movies, albeit by major directors. He’s probably best known to viewers for his recurring TV characters on “Boardwalk Empire” and “Fargo.”

Now Mr. Stuhlbarg, 49, is enjoying a midlife big-screen breakout, effortlessly elevating everything he appears in. He had a standout year in 2017 with supporting performances in three major awards contenders: “Call Me by Your Name,” “The Post” and “The Shape of Water.” But is he getting his due? While some critics’ groups have given him prizes, he wasn’t nominated for a Golden Globe, and it remains to be seen if the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will follow suit.

Far from your typical Hollywood leading man, Mr. Stuhlbarg nevertheless is making a strong case for juicier parts as he quietly steals scenes in acclaimed films opposite more decorated performers.

Here are five reasons to take a closer look at Michael Stuhlbarg:

Hugo (2011)
Mr. Stuhlbarg proved to be the perfect vessel for Martin Scorsese’s infectious expression of cinephilia when he played Rene Tabard, a French film scholar who helps the titular hero uncover the past of a toy shop owner who turns out to be the pioneering director George Méliès (Ben Kingsley). When Tabard recounts a childhood visit to a Méliès film set, Mr. Stuhlbarg’s narration establishes a bittersweet but reverential tone. His big, bearded grin as he compliments Méliès’s perennial leading lady, Jeanne D’Alcy — “You are as lovely now as you were in the movies” — could have been just a touching highlight of this charming ode to the history of cinema, but he plays the scene with such delicate admiration that when D’Alcy’s eyes well up, it is difficult not to do the same.

Lincoln (2012)
Here is a testament to Mr. Stuhlbarg’s ability to create unforgettable characters with limited screen time. Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln” has a bloated ensemble cast that leaves several heavy-hitting thespians on the sidelines for much of its duration. Mr. Stuhlbarg makes just three brief appearances as Congressman George Yeaman, a wild card in the fight to pass the 13th Amendment, thus abolishing slavery. In a scene opposite none other than Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln, Mr. Stuhlbarg hardly has any dialogue as he listens to the president’s impassioned plea. He does so much with his facial expressions — he would have been a great silent actor, though with his skills, he could have excelled in any era of screen acting — and his visibly tormented inner conflict plays off Lincoln’s dignified confidence. Finally, when Yeaman casts his vote, spontaneously springing to his feet, Mr. Stuhlbarg’s orgasmic “Aye!” serves as one of the film’s most triumphant gestures.

Trumbo (2015)
A profound misfire, this biopic is a dramatically inert attempt to pay tribute to the blacklisted screenwriters caught up in the Red Scare. Its single stroke of genius is the casting of Mr. Stuhlbarg as the actor Edward G. Robinson. Robinson’s Communist sympathies knocked him off Hollywood’s A-list, prompting him to name names to the House Un-American Activities Committee. Robinson was an unlikely leading man whose average-joe appearance and earnestness make him a comparable presence to Mr. Stuhlbarg, but here Robinson is at his most vulnerable after he betrays his peers and is plagued by regret in later years. He feeds excuses like “I did what I had to do” and “I didn’t give them anything they didn’t already have” to Bryan Cranston’s Dalton Trumbo, but the look in Mr. Stuhlbarg’s eyes conveys the story of a haunted man with a level of nuance and emotion that stands out from the rest of the film.

The Shape of Water (2017)
With Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins and Octavia Spencer credited ahead of him, Mr. Stuhlbarg again manages to take a minor role and make it his own. In this Cold War fantasy romance between a cleaning woman and the mysterious amphibian man at the laboratory where she works, he plays Dr. Robert Hoffstetler, a scientist who is also a Russian spy. Though he never gives off the air of swing-for-the-fences method acting, Mr. Stuhlbarg has said that his process includes a lot of preparation to understand the psychology of his characters (he even keeps the details in order with a color-coded notebook). Sometimes his inspiration is how someone looks, in this case a picture of Peter Lorre that he stumbled upon, he explained to ScreenCrush. That’s a telling choice as the malleable Lorre could pivot quickly from menacing to lovable and that’s precisely what Mr. Stuhlbarg does here, taking full advantage of a character who is not what he seems. The film’s most riveting dilemma is that facing Hoffstetler: He’s torn between his morality and his country, which has asked him to kill the amphibian man. Mr. Stuhlbarg adds an extra dimension of intrigue and emotional range to this highly praised fairy tale.

Call Me by Your Name (2017)
Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer are deservedly two of the year’s most-talked-about actors for their turns in this moving gay coming-of-age romance, but Mr. Stuhlbarg, as Mr. Chalamet’s father, delivers the showstopper in “Call Me by Your Name.” In a soliloquy that may stand as the most stirring single scene of last year — one that prompted the singer-songwriter Frank Ocean to proclaim Mr. Stuhlbarg his “new dad” — the parent has a tender talk with his son following a discreet heartbreak. It’s a moment that deepens his character and shifts the focus from the blossoming young man to someone whose own matters of the heart have left him forever changed. “You had a beautiful friendship. Maybe more than a friendship. And I envy you.” Mr. Stuhlbarg delivers these poignant words with great sincerity and pathos, opting for naturalistic restraint where others would have telegraphed the emotions. Mr. Chalamet’s tearful reaction is in sync with the audience’s. With a remarkable display of unconditional love in an all-too-rare portrayal of a parent’s acceptance of their child’s sexuality, Mr. Stuhlbarg’s graceful conviction makes this movie moment immortal.

Offline Kananaskis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Mr. Perlman’s speech just blew me away. I’m thoroughly impressed whenever I come across such artfully delivered fundamental truths pertaining to the human condition in literature and films, the latter being furthermore founded upon astounding acting, just like Michael Stuhlbarg’s.

“[...] and have less to offer each time we start with someone new.”
“[...] our hearts and bodies are given to us only once, and before you know it, your heart's worn out, and, as for your body,  there comes a point where no one looks at it, much less wants to come near it.”
This left me dumbstruck. And inexplicably miserable. Put yourself in the shoes of all those aching people. I know, CMBYN is a film. So is BBM. But think of how many such helpless Elios, Olivers, Jacks and Ennises have to throttle their true feelings, confine their insatiable desires, conform to the society, give up their dreams.

I read the book. I liked it even more than the film. André Aciman has proved to be an agonizingly wise writer, judging by the strong individual conscience presented through the characters.

MILD BOOK SPOILER “[...] but I felt I should say it, because this was the moment to say it, because it suddenly dawned on me that this was why I had come, to tell him “You are the only person I’d like to say goodbye to when I die, because only then will this thing I call my life make any sense. And if I should hear that you died, my life as I know it, the me who is speaking with you now, will cease to exist. [...] We missed out on so much. It was a coma. Tomorrow I go back to my coma, and you to yours.”
So, so sad.

• BetterMost Supporter!
CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
http://bbbreakfast.tumblr.com/
@BBbreakfast

by AMSBT manda
                              @BBbreakfast

Peaches

this beautiful piece was commissioned for me as a gift from my husband 🍑

art by my amazingly talented friend @bbbreakfast (twitter)

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by AMSBT manda
                                                                       @BBbreakfast

https://twitter.com/bbbreakfast?lang=en

December 26th, 2017 1,124 Likes

Fan Art / Digital Art / Drawings / AMSBT manda / @BBbreakfast
#CMBYN   #CallMeByYourName
#elio  #elio perlman  #oliver  #ulliva  #laterpeaches 🍑
#andré aciman  #armie hammer  #timothée chalamet  #luca guadagnino
#book   #novel   #film  #movie  #sonyclassics   #lgbt
#art #artwork #artist #digital art #digitalart #bbbreakfast  
#digitalpainting #fanart #fanartdigital
#cmbyn_art

by @sirayy

When he came down for breakfast he was wearing my bathing suit. No one would have given it another thought since everyone was always swapping suits in our house, but this was the first time he had done so and it was the same suit I had worn that very dawn when we'd gone for a swim. Watching him wearing my clothes was an un-bearable turn-on. And he knew it. It was turning both of us on.

Call Me By Your Name  by André Aciman
Recited/Narrated by Armie Hammer

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by @sirayy
http://www.pictaram.org/sirayy

Sep 21, 2017 6 Notes, 410 Likes

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART

by @sirayy

Peachy

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by @sirayy

3:12 PM Oct 15, 2017 24 Notes, 363 Likes

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART
http://jgiampietro.tumblr.com/

by JGiampietro

I love the book and can’t wait for the movie.
I had to draw them!

CALLMEBYYOURNAMEFANART by JGiampietro
http://jgiampietro.tumblr.com/

Oct 7, 2017 47 Notes

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:28:36 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Is everybody happy with the Oscar nominations? I only glanced at them, but was happy to see Timothée's and Michael Stuhlbarg's names as Best Actor/Supporting, and the film named first in the Best Picture list. But Armie wasn't there, boo hoo. He had a strong performance but there were many strong performances this year in that category.

I saw Phantom Thread last night. Loved the costumes. The people in them? Not so much. I feel like I would have to read the book to understand the movie; that's always disappointing.
"chewing gum and duct tape"