Author Topic: Armie Hammer & Timothée Chalamet find love in Call Me By Your Name (2017)  (Read 779549 times)

Offline SaraB

• Sr. Ranch Hand
I love this one - very cleverly done.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
I love this one - very cleverly done.

I do too.  The combination of clips from the film, with Armie reading the book, with the piano version of Visions of Gideon:  heaven!

Offline SaraB

• Sr. Ranch Hand
So professionally done - the sections of the readings are joined completely seamlessly, and the whole thing is, as you say, heaven!

Offline gattaca

• Sr. Ranch Hand
So professionally done - the sections of the readings are joined completely seamlessly, and the whole thing is, as you say, heaven!

^^^^^^^  That is my favorite cover from the film.  Just perfect.  V.
How do you hide when you are running from yourself?

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:20:21 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Armie Hammer & Timothée Chalamet find love in Call Me By Your Name (2017)
« Reply #625 on: August 07, 2018, 05:13:40 pm »
Hya, John. I wanted to ask you about your signature line:

it's been a long time since I studied French, but I think the first line means something like:

You must hear that I love you.
so, the 2nd line is not a translation, right?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #626 on: August 07, 2018, 07:24:10 pm »
Hya, John. I wanted to ask you about your signature line:

it's been a long time since I studied French, but I think the first line means something like:

You must hear that I love you.
so, the 2nd line is not a translation, right?

Hi, Lee! Your translation is spot on.

The second line is just me being me. The first line is actually a quote from a lyric in the last song of Christophe Honoré's musical film Les chansons d'amour.
It's a bit over the top--literally, it's a balcony scene!   :laugh: :laugh:

Ismaël (Louis Garrel) sings to the young Breton Erwann (Grégoire Leprince-Ringuet), in essence, ok, we had sex when I was sad and drunk (well, not really, but it's a good excuse)--

J'ai cru entendre "Je t'aime--"
J'ai pensé c'est son problème

I thought I heard 'I love you'
I thought it's his problem

and Erwann sings right back to Ismaël:

Être un corps je suis d'accord
T'offrir mes bras pourquoi pas

Mon lit, ok, encore
Pour rire en salir les draps
Mais je crains que pour tout ça

Tu doives entendre "Je t'aime--"
Tu doives entendre "Je t'aime!"

To be a body I agree
Give you my arms why not

My bed, ok, again
To laugh while dirtying the sheets
But I'm afraid for all that

You must hear "I love you--"
You must hear "I love you!"

It's an over-the-top balcony scene--and I've always loved it!   :) ;)  :laugh:

From
Les chansons d'amour
J'ai cru entendre
by Alex Beaupain and Doc Matéo

http://musique.ados.fr/Les-Chansons-D-Amour/J-Ai-Cru-Entendre-t163025.html

Ismaël
(Louis Garrel):

Mon petit depuis ce matin
J'ai traîné comme un crétin
Au niveau du caniveau
De Montparnasse à Château d'Eau

J'ai bu des verres, des verres, et puis des verres
Zubrowska, Riesling, Piper
À court de tout à bout de moi
Je suis revenu chez toi

Moi je voulais juste un corps
Je cherchais seulement des bras
Un lit de réconfort
Des délices sous les draps
Mais hélas au lieu de ça

J'ai cru entendre "Je t'aime--"
J'ai cru entendre je t'aime

Peu importe que tu y croies
Peu importe que je sois
À bout de moi, à court de tout
Mais pas de ça entre nous

Erwann
(Grégoire Leprince-Ringuet):

T'offrir mes bras pourquoi pas

Mon lit, ok, encore
Pour rire en salir les draps

Ismaël:
je suis vieux, veuf et sectaire
Un pauvre imbécile secrétaire

Erwann:
Je suis beau, jeune et breton
Je sens la pluie, l'océan et les crêpes au citron

Ismaël:
Tais-toi un peu petit trésor

Erwann:
Tu as tout faux une fois encore
J'suis très précieux, épargne moi

Ismaël:
D'accord, mais--entre nous pas de ça

Erwann:

Ismaël:
Je cherchais seulement des bras

Erwann:
Mon lit, ok, encore

Ismaël:
Des délices sous les draps

Erwann:
Tu doives entendre...

Ismaël:
(Je t'aime!)

"You need to hear 'I love you!'"

;)

See below, at 1:56 to 2:04, Erwann sings:

You must hear "I love you--"
You must hear "I love you!"

[youtube=1150,700]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEijm4lN4F0[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEijm4lN4F0

Les chansons d'amour (2007)
Ismaël and Erwann
Louis Garrel and Grégoire Leprince-Ringuet
in Les chansons d'amour, a film by Christophe Honoré.

tubinho79
Published on Oct 10, 2013

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:56:02 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #627 on: August 08, 2018, 09:07:32 am »
2007? Has it been that long already?  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #628 on: August 09, 2018, 07:06:58 pm »

2007? Has it been that long already?  :(

Funny thing, Jeff--on Tuesday I had said the same thing in Les chansons d'amour  thread. Oh well!   ::)

Is it really more than ten years??  :( :(

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
https://www.nme.com/blogs/call-me-by-your-name-sequel-release-date-trailer-cast-news-2255772

The Call Me By Your Name sequel:
everything we know so far

By Ella Braidwood
Mar 6, 2018 2:13 pm

Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer in Call Me By Your Name, which has received four Oscar nominations
Credit: Press

It will be set five or six years after the first film

With the critically-acclaimed Call Me By Your Name  winning an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay at this year’s ceremony – and director Luca Guadagnino revealing more details of the sequel on the red carpet – fans are gushing about over the prospect of a future encounter between Elio and Oliver. The film, based on André Aciman’s 2007 novel of the same name, won praise for its realistic depiction of a summer romance between 17-year old Elio and 24-year old, post-grad Oliver in the sun-drenched north Italy countryside – but what could happen in the sequel? When and where will it be set? Here’s a round-up of what we know so far.

When will the second film be set?

Speaking to USA Today  at the Oscars red carpet on Sunday (March 4), director Luca Guadagnino said that the second film will take place five or six years after the original – and that he was developing the storyline with André Aciman, the author of the novel upon which the film is based. “I’m already conceiving the story with André Aciman, and it’s gonna happen five or six years afterwards,” Guadagnino told USA Today. “It’s gonna be a new movie, a different tone.”

Who will be in it?

Guadagnino has confirmed that Armie Hammer and Timothée Chalamet will return respectively in their roles as Oliver and Elio. He has also said in a November 2017 interview with Vulture  that the film could see the return of characters Mr. Perlman (Michael Stuhlbarg), Marzia (Esther Garrel), and Mafalda the maid (Vanda Capriolo). And he indicated in an interview with Screen Daily  that – in addition to the original actors returning to their respective roles as Oliver, Elio, Mr. Perlman and Marzia – Amira Casar would return in her role as Annella Perlman.

When will it be released?

Guadagnino told Screen Daily  in October 2017 that his ideal release date for the second film would be 2020 – this is because Chamalet would be 25, the same age as his character Elio. “If I paired the age of Elio in the film with the age of Timothée, in three years’ time Timothée will be 25, as would Elio by the time the second story was set,” the director said.

Meanwhile Hammer’s character Oliver would be 31 in the second film, with Hammer himself turning 34 in 2020. Guadagnino has pointed out that the role of Oliver will be “closer to the age that Hammer will be at the time”, if it is released in 2020.

The sequel will address the AIDS crisis

Although the novel Call Me by Your Name  is set during the height of the AIDS crisis in 1987, the film moves that date to 1983 – the year scientists discovered the virus that causes AIDS. Guadagnino has said that, unlike the first film, the second film will address the AIDS epidemic head-on. “I think it’s going to be a very relevant part of the story,” he told The Hollywood Reporter  in January.

The director even revealed that the opening scene could feature Elio watching Paul Vecchiali’s 1998 film Once More, which is about a man who leaves his wife for another man, and is the first French movie to address AIDS. “I think Elio [Timothee Chalamet] will be a cinephile, and I’d like him to be in a movie theatre watching Paul Vecchiali’s Once More,” said Guadagnino. “That could be the first scene [in the sequel].”

He continued: “The novel has 40 pages at the end that goes through the next 20 years of the lives of Elio and Oliver, so there is some sort of indication through the intention of author André Aciman that the story can continue.

“In my opinion, Call Me  can be the first chapter of the chronicles of the life of these people that we met in this movie, and if the first one is a story of coming-of-age and becoming a young man, maybe the next chapter will be: ‘What is the position of the young man in the world, what does he want — and what is left a few years later of such an emotional punch that made him who he is?'”

What else could happen?

Speaking at the Oscars red carpet, Guadagnino told USA Today  that the second film will involve Elio and Oliver globetrotting. “They’re gonna go around the world,” he said.

Guadagnino has previously also revealed in an interview with Screen Daily that Elio may not be gay, and could rekindle his relationship with Marzia. “I don’t think Elio is necessarily going to become a gay man. He hasn’t found his place yet. I can tell you that I believe that he would start an intense relationship with Marzia [Esther Garrel’s character] again,” he told the publication.

The storyline could also follow the 40-age epilogue in Aciman’s novel Call Me By Your Name, which depicts Elio visiting Oliver in the USA fifteen years later, where the latter has a wife and children, and Oliver visiting Elio in Italy 20 years after they first met.

In a separate interview with Screen Daily, Guadagnino has suggested the film could also deal with the Iraq War and would be set within the political context around 1990. But, this doesn’t corroborate with the director’s more recent statements about the film taking place five or six years after the original, which was set in 1983, and so remains to be seen. He told Screen Daily  in October: “It is the time of the fall of communism and the start of the new world order and the so-called ’The End of History’ that Francis Fukuyama established then. It would be the beginning of the Berlusconi era in Italy and it would mean dealing with the war of Iraq.”

Has filming started?

No. According to USA Today  the script still needs to be finished before filming can begin.

Will James Ivory be involved?

Ivory, whose screenplay for the film has won an Oscar and a BAFTA, has previously cast doubt over a sequel going ahead, saying he has not been contacted about making one.

He told Gay Times  last month: “I heard about it. I don’t know how you could make such sequels if they’re far in the future.”

Ivory also seemed to be unaware of Guadagnino’s intention to set the film five or six years after the original, unlike the larger 15-year gap at the end of Aciman’s novel. He said: “It’s not possible to make Timothée [Chalamet] look likes he’s 40. All the make-up in the world and the rest of it and changing voice is not going to do it. I don’t know how. No one has contacted me. You have to think, ‘What does André Aciman think about that?’ It’s his creation. No one seems to know how he feels about it.”

How many Call Me By Your Name  films could there be?

Guadagnino has said there could be up to five CMBYN films, explicitly telling Vulture  in November last year: “I want to make five movies”. Guadagnino said he first envisioned a sequel for Call Me By Your Name, when the film premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2017. Speaking to Vulture  he said: “I didn’t completely realise until then [Sundance] that they were characters who could go beyond the boundaries of the film.” He added that the desire to make a sequel “sprung out of my love for these characters and my desire to visit them again, and in doing so, to be with the same people I did this movie with”.

:o :D :o :D :o :D :o :D :o :D :o :D :o

It’s been interesting, too, to see how people have reacted to the notion of a sequel.
Sequels. I want to make five movies.

Do you already have in mind what you would do?
The second, I have very much in mind. I think I want to see them grow up. How great would it be to see those actors grow older, embodying those characters?

Is the whole notion of a sequel something that sprung up from the years-later epilogue of the book?
It sprung out of my love for these characters and my desire to visit them again, and in doing so, to be with the same people I did this movie with.

At what point did you start mulling over this idea?
Sundance. Because I didn’t completely realize until then that they were characters who could go beyond the boundaries of the film.

I think some people would prefer that the characters not go beyond the boundary of the film, because the ending with Elio is so powerful.
It would not remove the power of the final shot of this film, because that is about him being 18. What we would see in the sequel is him being 25.

The film is also about the intensity of first love. By necessity, the second film would be and feel different.
Maybe in the sequel, Elio and Oliver only meet after two hours of the movie. I want to follow them, Mr. Perlman, Marzia, all these people. Maybe the movie opens with how Mafalda the maid is living in the house, all alone! I definitely would buy myself the freedom of a movie that is not bound to a textbook of rules. Once, I dreamt of making a sequel to I Am Love, which was basically about Emma, Tilda’s character, living with no money on the periphery of Rome. It would be about her daily routine, like Chantal Akerman’s Jeanne Dielman. Five hours of watching Emma go to the supermarket where she’s a cashier, going home to cook a meal, eating her meal, and then one day she bumps into the daughter, who’s a big artist. I thought about doing that. The only problem for me is that for a director, time is very limited in general. You can do a certain amount of films and no more than that.

You know, I am 46. To make a movie is long. I have to learn how to discipline my ambitions.

This interview has been edited and condensed.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:31:48 pm by Aloysius J. Gleek »

"Camping Out"