Author Topic: On Ageism  (Read 18235 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
On Ageism
« on: October 20, 2017, 02:48:26 pm »

“Indeed, many old people themselves are ageist, having spent their lives absorbing the same anti-aging messages as everyone else.” our friend Katharine wrote in the Star-Tribune. http://www.startribune.com/challenging-ageism/451306873/

What a great story! I thought this would be a nice subject for our forum. I'm sure I have several ageist notions I would like to exorcise.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: On Ageism
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 07:42:59 pm »
I'm sure a lot of people have ageist ideas/thoughts.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 01:07:58 am »

“Indeed, many old people themselves are ageist, having spent their lives absorbing the same anti-aging messages as everyone else.” our friend Katharine wrote in the Star-Tribune. http://www.startribune.com/challenging-ageism/451306873/

What a great story! I thought this would be a nice subject for our forum. I'm sure I have several ageist notions I would like to exorcise.

Wow, FRiend, I just saw this! (I really need to start getting out more.  :laugh: )  How nice of you to mention my story! Writing that one has made me much more aware of how deeply ageism is embedded in our culture.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:45:10 pm »
(I really need to start getting out more.  :laugh:

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 01:11:27 pm »
I was at the doctor yesterday and she recommended that I start taking Lipitor for cholesterol. I was surprised to hear that because last year at my annual exam the doctor didn't ask me to start taking meds, even though my "bad" cholesterol was 20 points higher. When I pointed this out, the doctor said that because of my age, I now fall within the higher risk category. That's it, just because of my age. I'm not going to go on strong meds just because of a statistic!

I know from my mom's experience that any med will probably lead to high blood pressure, constipation and dizziness, which will result in more meds. Besides, hasn't cholesterol been largely exonerated as a disease creator? The real culprit is lack of exercise, as it nearly always is.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 11:43:13 pm »
When I pointed this out, the doctor said that because of my age, I now fall within the higher risk category. That's it, just because of my age. I'm not going to go on strong meds just because of a statistic!

I don't blame you one  bit.  there is no reason for you to take meds for something that "may" happen to you, just because it happens to other people. 

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 02:09:45 am »
My cholesterol was always between 5 and 6 (Possibly US measurements are different, not unusual) and the recommendations are about 3 to 4. I did not worry as my mother always had high cholesterol (yet died at 97 and not from heart problems). Then mine shot up to 9 so I began taking tablets. It has come back and stayed around 5 to 6. I cannot get it any lower despite using cholesterol lowering margarine and avoiding fatty foods and I exercise quite a lot, even when working as a teacher I was mainly on my feet. I do not panic if I miss my tablet, being at night it is easy to forget. Some time (perhaps 15 to 20 years ago) a colleague suggested I take Lipitor and I had reactions (cannot remember what) but my medical records say to avoid Lipitor. I take Simvastatin, The only problem is I must avoid grapefruit and I love grapefruit.  I occasionally sneak some in a hotel when on holidays.  :)

Before I began taking cholesterol reducing tablets, I began on blood pressure tablets. I was having dizzy fits driving to work and after some experiment I have been on 2 tablets each morning(which is easy to remember as I also take 4 or 5 vitamin tablets with my fruit juice before breakfast). I would make sure I never miss these and the only times my blood pressure has been slightly up at my 3 monthly visit, I have been able to guess the reason, some stressful situation. When I gave up full time work I suggested to my then doctor that I could drop the tablets but she said "No way"

My other main tablet is for reflux and I am having problems with that but that is another long story.
It probably helps that in NZ I only have to pay $5 for 3 months supply of a prescription tablet.
In the last year my sugar levels have gone to borderline pre-diabetic which has been more difficult as I have a very sweet tooth. I gave up sugar in my 4 cups of coffee a day and none on my breakfast cereal (which is sugar free)and it went back down but has crept up again.
It was fairly easy to reduce fat and I never add salt in cooking but sugar is very difficult.
However 20 points up for cholesterol sounds a lot but I guess the measurement is different.

Old age is no fun. I have been walking on Monday afternoons with elderly people since I moved to NZ eight years ago. Gradually they have got slower and slower and now they are mainly in their late 80's and the walk is painful. I am the baby (at 73) of the group. I no longer want to go (I walk with a group my own age on Tuesdays)/ I would like to stop or reduce to once per month but they rely on me for transport and look forward to their "walk".

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 10:56:57 am »
Tthere is no reason for you to take meds for something that "may" happen to you, just because it happens to other people.  

Family history is important. If you have a very close relative, especially a parent, who has or had a particular condition, such as heart disease, statistically, you are more at risk for developing the same condition. Of course, that does not mean you will develop the condition, but your risk is greater. (I once shocked a cardiologist by mentioning that you cannot say that something will happen to an individual based on a group statistic; he responded, "You get that!")

Because of my father's severe heart disease, on my doctor's recommendation, I've been taking an 81-mg aspirin a day for more years than I can now remember, and I think nothing of it.

By the same token, so far I have never had a colonoscopy because there is absolutely no history of gastrointestinal cancer in my family. My mother died of a stroke, and my father, as I mentioned above, has severe heart disease. In my own opinion, I am at greater risk for heart disease than I am for gastrointestinal cancer.

I guess my father's pancreatic cancer qualifies as "gastrointestinal," since he's now under the care of a gastroenterologist, but that has nothing to do with his stomach or intestines, and in March he will be 88 years old. My own opinion is that it's more likely that his heart disease will kill him before the pancreatic cancer will.

Of course, anyone has the right to refuse to go on any medication (my father refuses chemotherapy for his pancreatic cancer), but that does not mean the doctor is wrong about risk because of age, especially if a parent had the condition in question.

In my opinion, this is not an example of ageism. This is responsible medical practice.

ETA: I should have said that my comments are based on what I see on my job. However, I stand by my opinion that this is not an example of ageism.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:59:22 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 05:28:44 pm »
Sometimes I wonder why I seem to be invisible, or I'm in a group and say something and it just seems to go into a black hole. This is particularly true in my permaculture group. I'm the president and all but one of the other board members are 20- or 30-somethings. And the other person is a 50-something. They don't really ask my opinion on issues most of the time but of course I give it anyway. It just seems to fly into thin air. Looking back later, I have to remind myself that I'm a different generation than these people and a woman, to boot (permaculture is sadly dominated by men). It's something I just have to accept. But when I look at the group in my mind's eye, I see myself as their peer. I have the same values as 30 years ago, but more experience. Way more experience. But I still have the enthusiasm and experience has not made me bitter.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 08:30:09 pm »
Practically all of my life I've been invisible in groups. Even in my leather club, when I was the presidential officer, unless I was presiding over a meeting, I was practically invisible.  :(  Your point is well-taken, FRiend, but in my own case I can't attribute the invisibility to age. For me, it's always been that way.

But when I look at the group in my mind's eye, I see myself as their peer. I have the same values as 30 years ago, but more experience. Way more experience. But I still have the enthusiasm and experience has not made me bitter.

I don't wish to seem harsh, but with regard to your "invisibility" in this group, it seems to me that the important thing may not be how you see yourself, but how the 20-to-30-somethings see you--and this I would, indeed, call ageism.

I've only ever met one person in that age range who seems to see me as a peer, and that's because he's an Old Soul in a 30-year-old body.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.