Our BetterMost Community > The Holiday Forum

Happy Longerdays!

(1/14) > >>

Front-Ranger:
I think this is our first exclusively BetterMost holiday: Longerdays!

(with thanks to serious crayons and Pentheslea)

Happy Longerdays, everyone!

serious crayons:
Thank you, Lee! And same to you!

The sun is now up for a few seconds longer each day. I can't say the difference is ever very noticeable, for me at least, until at least mid-February. But it's nice to know it's happening.

Here's an interesting article with great maps about how the solstice works, how daylight times differ in other parts of the country, how sunrise and sunset don't start expanding at the same rate, why the coldest part of winter usually follows the solstice (and differs by weeks, Lee, between CO and MN). Sorry, non-US Brokies, it's from the Washington Post and is very US-centric, but it will give you information you can loosely apply to your own geography.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/12/21/winter-solstice-2017-five-things-you-should-know-about-the-shortest-day-of-the-year/?utm_term=.39d10c729ec8

And here's a chart showing how the coldest, warmest and in-betweenest times tend to follow a Dec-Feb, March-May etc. pattern. Apparently these are called meteorological seasons (based on weather), while the solstice-equinox system is called astronomical seasons, and the writer advocates for adopting the former.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/12/01/this-chart-shows-why-winter-should-without-question-officially-begin-dec-1/?utm_term=.99eab5b7452e

CellarDweller:
Happy Longerdays!

Penthesilea:

--- Quote from: serious crayons on December 23, 2017, 12:09:52 pm ---Here's an interesting article with great maps about how the solstice works,

--- End quote ---

Cool maps, thanks for sharing :).

serious crayons:

--- Quote from: Front-Ranger on December 22, 2017, 04:08:37 pm ---I think this is our first exclusively BetterMost holiday: Longerdays!
--- End quote ---

You're right! It's very Brokieish.

Of course, we always keep a special place in our hearts for Brokie Thanksgiving. And, to a lesser extent, the Fourth of July.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version