Author Topic: Women's Marches  (Read 114300 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Women's Marches
« on: January 27, 2018, 10:42:59 am »
I think there needs to be a thread about these marches.

The Women's March was a worldwide protest on January 21, 2017, to advocate legislation and policies regarding human rights and other issues, including women's rights, immigration reform, healthcare reform, reproductive rights, the natural environment, LGBTQ rights, racial equality, freedom of religion, and workers' rights.  Most of the rallies were aimed at Donald Trump, immediately following his inauguration as President of the United States, largely due to statements that he had made and positions that he had taken which were regarded by many as anti-women or otherwise offensive.  It was the largest single-day protest in U.S. history.

The first planned protest was in Washington, D.C., and is known as the Women's March on Washington.   According to organizers it was meant to "send a bold message to our new administration on their first day in office, and to the world that women's rights are human rights".  The Washington March was streamed live on YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter.

The Washington March drew 440,000 to 500,000 people.  Between 3,267,134 and 5,246,670 people participated in the Women's March in the United States.   In total, worldwide participation has been estimated at over five million.
 At least 408 marches were reported to have been planned in the U.S. and 168 in 81 other countries.   After the marches, officials who organized them reported that 673 marches took place worldwide, on all seven continents, including 29 in Canada, 20 in Mexico, and one in Antarctica.  In Washington D.C. alone, the march was the largest single political demonstration since the anti–Vietnam War protests in the 1960s and 1970s.  The Women's March crowds were peaceful, and no arrests were made in Washington, D.C., Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, and Seattle, where an estimated combined total of two million people marched.

Following the march, the organizers of the Women's March on Washington posted the "10 Actions for the first 100 Days" campaign for joint activism to keep up the momentum from the march.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

Re: Women's Marches
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 10:47:32 am »
Women’s March 2018: Protesters Take to the Streets for the Second Straight Year

By THE NEW YORK TIMES - JAN. 20, 2018

A year after millions of people turned out for the Women’s March and took to the streets en masse to protest President Trump’s inauguration, demonstrators gathered on Saturday in cities across the United States, galvanized by their disdain for Mr. Trump and his administration’s policies.

A deluge of revelations about powerful men abusing women, leading to the #MeToo moment, has pushed activists to demand deeper social and political change. Progressive women are eager to build on the movement and translate their enthusiasm into electoral victories in this year’s midterm elections.

Here are some highlights:

• More than 200,000 protesters attended the march in New York on Saturday, according to Mayor Bill de Blasio. Mayor Eric Garcetti of Los Angeles said 600,000 attended the march there, while organizers of the Chicago march said 300,000 attended that event. Thousands also turned out in Washington, Philadelphia, Austin and hundreds of other cities and towns around the country and world.

• Several speakers urged women to channel their energy into helping Democrats win races in the upcoming midterm elections. A rally called “Power to the Polls,” organized by the leaders of last year’s Women’s March in Washington, will be held on Sunday in Las Vegas.

• President Trump said in a tweet that it was a “perfect day for all Women to March,” while touting “unprecedented economic success and wealth creation” under his watch.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/us/womens-march.html

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:49:37 am »
The mission of Women’s March is to harness the political power of diverse women and their communities to create transformative social change. Women’s March is a women-led movement providing intersectional education on a diverse range of issues and creating entry points for new grassroots activists & organizers to engage in their local communities through trainings, outreach programs and events. Women’s March is committed to dismantling systems of oppression through nonviolent resistance and building inclusive structures guided by self-determination, dignity and respect.

https://www.womensmarch.com/

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 10:51:43 am »
We are the leaders we have been waiting for.​

On January 21, 2018, Women’s March will gather in Las Vegas, Nevada for Women's March: Power to the Polls, an event that will launch a national voter registration tour one year after the historic Women’s March on Washington. This next stage of the movement will channel the energy and activism of the Women's March into tangible strategies and concrete wins in 2018.

The national voter registration tour will target swing states to register new voters, engage impacted communities, harness our collective energy to advocate for policies and candidates that reflect our values, and collaborate with our partners to elect more women and progressives candidates to office. The coordinated campaign will build upon Women’s March’s ongoing work uplifting the voices and campaigns of the nation’s most marginalized communities to create transformative social and political change.

“In Alabama, Black women delivered as they always do,” said Linda Sarsour, co-chair of the Women’s March. “In addition to being willing to follow and support Black women, we all must commit to fighting the systemic voter suppression laws that inhibit so many of our communities from voting. This campaign will mobilize a new group of activists to create accessible power to our voting polls.”

http://www.powertothepolls.com/

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 11:05:36 am »
Hey Chuck, I just noticed this! Great idea. Thanks!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 08:37:34 pm »
Thanks!  I hope other people contribute!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 11:12:27 am »
What's happening with the marches this year?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 12:59:46 pm »
What's happening with the marches this year?

Sigh. So typical for Philadelphia. There are two separate marches, taking place at the same time, on the same day, and both may be affected by bad weather. Organizers claim the marches aren't "competing," but puh-leeze. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 10:15:06 pm »
I believe I had read a story that some marches were cancelled because they weren't "diverse" enough.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 10:07:57 am »
I'm hearing news of a worldwide march or general strike this Friday, September 20. This may be big!
"chewing gum and duct tape"