Our BetterMost Community > The Holiday Forum

What day does June 21 mark for you?

(1/5) > >>

Front-Ranger:
I've heard this day called many things, some of them unique to BetterMost. Most confusing is calling it midsummer, when there are three months of summer to come! I'd like your opinion, please.

CellarDweller:
I've seen the term "midsummer" as well, and like you, found it confusing.

brianr:
Shakespeare called it midsummer in "A Midsummer's Dream".  We will be celebrating MidWinter in the city next Saturday. It should have been last Saturday (closest to the shortest day) but there was an All Blacks versus France Rugby Match on in the city Stadium so MidWinter was put off  ;D
We had some snow yesterday morning and the official maximum temperature was 8'C but that was in the afternoon. I went down to the city about midday and it was only showing 5'C. Saturday is forecast 11'C and 12'C on Sunday but then back to the usual 10'C for this time of year.

Front-Ranger:
You guys forgot to vote!

Jeff Wrangler:

--- Quote from: Front-Ranger on June 23, 2018, 03:44:05 pm ---I've heard this day called many things, some of them unique to BetterMost. Most confusing is calling it midsummer, when there are three months of summer to come! I'd like your opinion, please.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: CellarDweller on June 26, 2018, 06:46:12 pm ---I've seen the term "midsummer" as well, and like you, found it confusing.

--- End quote ---

I'm completely going off memory here, and we all know how [un]reliable that can be, but I think I read somewhere that some peoples divided the year into only two seasons, winter and summer, so that made the summer solstice "midsummer."

You can look at this the other way 'round, too. There is a famous and quite lovely Christmas carol by Christina Rossetti called "In the Bleak Midwinter." Of course, Christmas and the winter solstice are no more in the middle of winter than the summer solstice is the middle of summer. (The tune for the carol is "Cranham," by Gustav Holst.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version