Author Topic: The "I LOVE everything Jack" thread  (Read 40995 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: roboy's "I love everything Jack" Thread
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 08:26:43 pm »
I love the way he finds Ennis's hand so quick without opening his eyes, and the way he looks so calmly at him after Ennis says "what'r you doin'?" and the way he reaches across to grab Ennis's hand at the end of the sex, and so,ebody stop me!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2006, 11:01:33 pm »
I love Jack for pursuing the object of his desire, namely Ennis.  I love his patience and the way he slowly got Ennis to feel things he never knew he was capable of experiencing.  :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2006, 08:05:30 am »
I love Jack's hands.  Especially when they are on Ennis' face.
No more beans!

Offline Toast

Re: roboy's "I love everything Jack"
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2006, 11:06:59 pm »
I love Jack's face, in every scene it steals the show.
But the best scene to show off that face, is the one where Ennis is pouting on the side of the hill because they have to go, and Jack picks up his lassoo.
Jack steps into closeup, and there is that face expressing care, concern and love.
He wonders how he can extend their time together, now that Aguirre has decided to bring them down from the mountain.
Will Ennis choose him or Alma?
There is so much love and desire in that face.

edit - added ing to express
try to replace brightened image
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 02:34:57 pm by toast »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 11:04:07 am »
Man, you hit the nail on the head with that one, Toast.  As RT said a while back, it was in *that* scene where Jake Gyllenhaal became a bonafide movie star.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 10:54:34 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 12:07:07 pm »
I love Jack for being bold and for having the guts to take chances.  I love him for 'getting the ball rolling', so to speak, in the tent on that cold night.  I love that he didn't get caught up with what might happen, he threw those cares to the wind!  Love Jack Nasty!   8)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 02:00:41 pm »
I love the way Jack shows Ennis he already has a lit cigarette right after Aguirre says "You ranch stiffs - you ain't never no good."  Ennis offers him a drag of his smoke in a commiserating manner, and Jack, still pissed about the dirty punch, just turns his right hand enough without even looking at him as if to say, "Yeah, suck on it - I got my own."
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 06:25:13 pm »
I didn't even notice that is what was going on there!  After bazillion viewings, still didnt catch that...
Will be lookin' out for it tonight!  ;)

It's incredibly subtle, like most other things in this movie.  If you blink, you'll miss it.  Just watch closely right after Aguirre says "You ranch stiffs - you ain't never no good."  Ennis shakes his head in a disgusted manner, really as if he's trying to commiserate with Jack, then leans his hand holding his cigarette ever so slightly in his direction without even looking at him as if he's offering the peace pipe.  Without missing a beat, Jack just turns his right hand that's hanging over the fence rightside up enough to show he already has his own.  I find it to be another one of those amazing unspoken moments.  It shows so much - the familiarity and intimacy between the two of them, and Ennis trying feebly to make peace with the head shake that is really much more characteristically Jack than him, then offering the smoke, then getting rebuffed.  Beautiful, beautiful stuff.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 06:38:26 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

moremojo

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 04:49:05 pm »
I love Jack's recognition of the power of personal symbols.

Offline hermitdave

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • changed forever by brokeback...
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 04:57:58 pm »
I love the longing in Jack's beautiful blue eyes.
"Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am whole again. Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am young again." - The Cure