Author Topic: DVD release  (Read 5469 times)

horo04

DVD release
« on: April 05, 2006, 08:27:18 am »
So I bought my copy and I was actually disappointed with the presentation of it.  It seemed very cheap.  No inserts, cover looked like it was cut out with scissors and thrown in,  extras were very short.  Not sure what the American version looks like but this is what us canucks got.  I was expecting a better dvd for a movie this popular.   What do others think of it?  :-\

horo04

Re: DVD release
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 01:35:55 am »
I was just checking on other comments about the dvd release and seems like most people agree it's a poor dvd.  What a disapointing release!  It's definately not worth the money.  No inserts, rehashed extras, no commentary, etc....what happened?? ???
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 09:29:53 pm by horo04 »

horo04

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 01:37:16 am »
Here is part of a review done by Mike Restaino

Supplements: What Goodies Are There?
This is where this edition of Brokeback Mountain comes up painfully short. The four included featurettes are thin at best. Three are simple interview-driven EPK-worthy endeavors and the fourth is a thin-as- paper Logo Television making-of half-hour piece. For a film with the kind of reputation Brokeback has, one would expect there would be countless areas from which to draw to enhance this DVD. No dice.
I’ll wager big money that a more impressive special edition will be released by Christmas.

Final Thoughts
At the very least, this edition is definitely worth a place on your rental queue. This first DVD release of Brokeback Mountain has a lovely transfer and mix, but its bonus features definitely hinder it from being the must- own DVD it had the potential to be. But any self-respecting movie viewer should at least check it out. It’s a classic. Highly recommended.

I definately agree.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 01:40:27 am by horo04 »

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 11:24:36 pm »
There were no extras but my main purpose for buying the DVD was to have it in my possession~ sounds strange, I know.  I purchased mine at Target and was quite surprised to get an audio CD of Campbell Scott (another hottie) reading the short story.  I will admit that having deleted scenes and bloopers would have been fun but I'm just happy to see this story whenever I want/need to.  (Should a version with more extras be released I will buy it as well.) 
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline atackkel

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 05:18:37 am »
Hi! You should be grateful you have the DVD, I live in the U.K. and have to wait 5 more days yet!

Offline Br. Patrick

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 01:58:04 am »
I bought both editions;  the "full screen" DVD for my TV and the "Widescreen" version for my widescreen computer monitor.  If more versions of the film come out, I will get those too.  Just can't get enough!  I Totally agree with everyone about the packaging.  At the very least there should be some kind of Chapter list.  AHA!  Another reason to see the movie AGAIN!  I'll make my own!
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 12:02:35 am »
This question is probably premature... but how long do you think we'll have to wait for a "special edition" DVD?  I agree that the presentation of this one feels very rushed.  It deserves much better packaging, features, etc.  I'm just about dying for more interviews, "making-of" clips, etc. And, I just can't stand the "3 Oscars" emphasis.  If they must fret over awards I wish they would have said someting much more impressive like "winner of 63 major film awards and nominated for 40 more."

I have to say though, one of the special features contains one of my new favorite quotations about the relationship between Ennis and Jack.  Ang Lee describes it as "something private and precious and they cannot articulate..."  I LOVE THAT!  And I love that the phrase is left unfinished. I want more, more, more... stuff like that.
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 05:12:18 pm »
I bought both editions;  the "full screen" DVD for my TV and the "Widescreen" version for my widescreen computer monitor.  If more versions of the film come out, I will get those too.  Just can't get enough!  I Totally agree with everyone about the packaging.  At the very least there should be some kind of Chapter list.  AHA!  Another reason to see the movie AGAIN!  I'll make my own!

Would you be willing to share your chapter list with others after you make it?  I know I'd like one. 
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 05:31:43 pm »
I heard that the special edition release will be out in France in mid-July and hopefully it will be available worldwide around then, too.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 09:37:13 am »
Still no sign as to when the dvd will be available in Belgium. It seems to be impossible to find out.
Thank God the film is still showing over here in theatres.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'