Author Topic: Small Town USA: the Good the Bad and the Ugly  (Read 19015 times)

injest

Small Town USA: the Good the Bad and the Ugly
« on: October 25, 2006, 09:36:27 pm »
I live in deep East Texas. Near what we call the Dead Woods.

There are a lot of myths about small towns. A lot of misconceptions. I have found that most of the people I have met on the internet have no idea what life is like here.

Garry is the closest. I think he DOES understand what and where I come from. Here I am going to tell you about MY life. and the people in the area.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What made me decide to start this thread is an encounter I had with a member on another thread. We were discussing religion (always good for an argument!).

I am aware that there are established religions with schools and seminaries and universities, but there is no law that says you have to have any education at all to set yourself up as a preacher. It is in fact a big tradition around here (remember I am ONLY talking about MY little corner of the world) to have some drunk 'see the light' and set himself up as a 'man of God'.

He gathers up a group of like minded people and tada!! he has a church!

all legal and everything!

and he is not regulated...he can preach whatever he wants. Think Phelps...and his ilk. Most of them are virulently anti woman, anti everything really.

My mother went to a church when I was a little girl that taught that the Bible was delivered to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden....in English....The King James version! We were taught that if a man saw the top of your arm and had a lustful thought that WE would go to Hell...not HIM...us! the little girls. and since we were required to wear dresses we couldn't even play on the playground (someone would see our undies). So even our very movement was restricted.

They taught that there were no dinosaurs, nothing EVER evolved, and of course we never went to the moon.

There are people TODAY that still preach that on Sundays and Wednesdays.

there are a lot of upsides to living in the boondocks...but there are some scary people here.

injest

Re: Small Town USA: the Good the Bad and the Ugly
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 09:39:08 pm »
I know a lady, about 55, who believes that if you don't circumcize your boys at birth....he will die....

injest

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 09:43:41 pm »
The thing about living in a reasonable size town is you have a police force with some oversight

If you live in a tiny town, your police will probably be the son and grandson of the previous sheriff....

and if he is good he is VERY good; he will know everyone and everything going on. You can call him at home if you have to.

if he is bad....it is hell on earth

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 09:47:59 pm »
I know a lady, about 55, who believes that if you don't circumcize your boys at birth....he will die....
Altough  rare for the rest of the world for non Jewish and  muslim men, I am very glad was born here, USA, at a time when most boys were cicumsized at birth.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

injest

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 09:50:05 pm »
Altough  rare for the rest of the world for non Jewish and  muslim men, I am very glad was born here, USA, at a time when most boys were cicumsized at birth.

yeah, cause otherwise...

you would be dead!!!  :o

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 10:02:36 pm »
Jess - I totally hear you and know what you're talking about.  I am from a similarly inclined small-town in TN, as you know.  I was thinking the other day - at the same prompting as you - about how I was spoon fed dogma from back before I could remember and how I'll never understand what prompted me to finally reject it, by and large.

I have an first cousin (~3 years older) who I really looked up to when I was 7-ish years old.  I can remember sitting on the front porch, watching a beautiful sunset, all reds and oranges.  And she tells me that the sky is the color of blood because Jesus is crying tears because it's near the end of the world.  Now she was only 10 or so, but she got that crap from somewhere too and was just passing it along.  I remember having nightmares and being scared for a long time after that.

I'm at work and shouldn't really be doing this  :)  But thank you for starting this thread...I'm sure I have a laundry list of horror stories.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 10:03:55 pm »
A good thing about small towns - I had to go to traffic court the other day because I was stopped and didn't have my license with me.  The traffic court judge was a high school classmate and is my personal attorney - she did my health care proxy, etc...  :P
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 10:06:42 pm »
LOL

but YOU do understand what I mean about these fringe churches? and that people that were raised in them have a hard time turning loose of those beliefs?

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 10:08:22 pm »
LOL

but YOU do understand what I mean about these fringe churches? and that people that were raised in them have a hard time turning loose of those beliefs?
Yes this does make sense. We take with us so much from an early age.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 10:22:11 pm »
I am Catholic but I haven't attended Mass for several years now. I think it is pretty obvious why I haven't. It's difficult to sit in a pew and listen to the priest talking about people like me. You know, gay people will go to hell... that sort of thing.

Blah Blah Blah.  >:(

But once a Protestant friend of mine told me his minister told the congregation that all Catholics are witches and we dabble in sorcery. Apparently he was referring to the Transubstantiation (the priest changing the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ). This minister called the Catholic Mass "Black Magic". The tragic part is my friend believed it. Why? Because his minister said so. I felt very offended by that and still do, actually.

This minister also said men are not allowed to let their hair grow long because Jesus had short hair. If they do, they will go to Hell.  ???

Edit: Did you know the words Hocus Pocus is derived from the Catholic Mass? Actually people first started using those words as a way to mock the Catholic Mass. During the Consecration, the priest says (in the Latin Mass) Hoc est enim Corpus Meum. (For This Is My Body).

I don't know why I brought that up. I guess I'm in the Halloween spirit tonight!  8)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 10:31:21 pm by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 10:29:24 pm »

I sure do...I have a long commute, so while bored, I once counted - 33.5 churches (.5 because 3 were under construction) on my way to work; and 7 schools on the way back home...and I was generous and counted the small independent church-affiliated schools too...Sad...one day I'd like to see more schools than churches.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 10:30:22 pm »
Yes, and women must not CUT their hair. BUT they also couldn't allow their hair to hang free..(in case a man lost control and had a lustful thought) which is why they walk around with twenty pound buns on their heads!

injest

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 12:54:36 am »
I remember when I was a little girl walking to town barefoot how hot the asphalt was.

one day there were a bunch of crows hanging by their feet from the trees downtown.

Everyone acted like they did not see them. I remember looking at them and feeling so sorry for the birds. I didn't understand what it meant.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 12:58:38 am »
I remember when I was a little girl walking to town barefoot how hot the asphalt was.

one day there were a bunch of crows hanging by their feet from the trees downtown.

Everyone acted like they did not see them. I remember looking at them and feeling so sorry for the birds. I didn't understand what it meant.

What the hell does it mean Jess?

injest

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 12:59:58 am »
the Klan had been in town during the night. Warning everyone that they were being too friendly with the 'colored'...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 01:01:58 am »
the Klan had been in town during the night. Warning everyone that they were being too friendly with the 'colored'...

Oh my God!  :'(

We had the Klan here in Indiana too. They almost took over the entire state in the 1920's. They are hateful, hateful people.

injest

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 01:02:26 am »
There was a family that lived in a very small town near us.

When their son was about 19 he went nuts. They boarded him up in a house. Gave him hay to sleep on like a horse.

We would drive by there and my father would point at his arms. He always stood at the boarded up windows and hang his arms out.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 01:04:11 am »
There was a family that lived in a very small town near us.

When their son was about 19 he went nuts. They boarded him up in a house. Gave him hay to sleep on like a horse.

We would drive by there and my father would point at his arms. He always stood at the boarded up windows and hang his arms out.

Oh GOD!!!  :'(

Do you have any happy memories of your town? Please say yes!  :(

injest

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 01:10:48 am »
LOL!!

Hey! its MY blog!...I was thinking I haven't said anything about the good...but I am sorry that is what I am thinking about tonight!!

Bah...

TOMORROW I will write some good things

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 01:14:23 am »
LOL!!

Hey! its MY blog!...I was thinking I haven't said anything about the good...but I am sorry that is what I am thinking about tonight!!

Bah...

TOMORROW I will write some good things

Please do! The KKK and locked up teenagers makes for some rather depressing reading.

I'll read whatever you post in here Jess... The Good The Bad and The Ugly.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 01:16:42 am »
Did you read the story I posted in my blog tonight?

I don't think anyone has!  :'(

*sniff*

;)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 11:50:51 am »

But once a Protestant friend of mine told me his minister told the congregation that all Catholics are witches and we dabble in sorcery. Apparently he was referring to the Transubstantiation (the priest changing the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ). This minister called the Catholic Mass "Black Magic". The tragic part is my friend believed it. Why? Because his minister said so. I felt very offended by that and still do, actually.

I had a similar experence when I was about 13, a friend too me to a Bible study at his Baptist Church and the preecher spoke of cults, the Moonies, othe churches, and the Catholics.

Now at that point in life I had never met a Catholic, but I knew I came from Catholic ancestors, and friend, them long dead people jumped in my soul and demanded I stick up for them. I questioned the preechers inclusion of the wellestablished Catholic chuch and he went on a diatribe about black masses, etc. I told my friend I could not go to church with him any more. It was pretty much the end of our friendship, and that hurt.

Today I have distain for the dogma of the Catholic Church, but am mindful of the refuge and tool it was to my Irish Ancestors who sought refuge there against the English. I am a mixture of all these people, and more. I hope I embody the healing of the issues that divided them.

"Small" is sometimes dosen't describe the size of the towns, but the size of the minds that live there.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 12:10:59 am »
Good things

picking blackberries, getting your fingers stained and scratched, keeping a close eye out for snakes. Half hoping to see one so you can run off, squealing, not really believing any harm could come from it.

the smell of the river, dank, fishy, earthy

old, dark, dusty stores with mysterious wares and odd corners and nooks...wAndering the aisles, wOndering what this was...what that is...old things made of iron and wood.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 12:27:59 am by injest »

injest

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 12:31:18 am »
the big decision of the day? which flavor Icee to get....waiting to see what next weeks flavor will be.

No fast food places...if you ate out it was at the truck stop or a family owned restaurant...a rare treat. Sitting in a big booth on vinyl seats (naugahyde??)

injest

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 12:40:52 am »
Easter

My favorite holiday

always a big thing when I was growing up. We would go to a relatives house, 5000 eggs and a couple hundred kids. Big bowls of brightly colored eggs. The night before we spent hours carefully decorating and dying them...each thinking theirs was the best.

There would be a prize egg for grown ups and prize eggs for the little ones. Prizes for the one who found the most.

We knew that the eggs laying out in plain view were not for us big kids (prizes not withstanding) those were for the little ones...the ones who toddled out holding onto their parents fingers and were so surprised to find eggs laying in the yard!

Little girls in dresses, slips so full the dresses were as wide as they were tall...little boys in tiny suits and ties.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 12:58:24 am »
the big decision of the day? which flavor Icee to get....waiting to see what next weeks flavor will be.

I reember those Icees. They always gave me a headache though. I think I was drinking them too fast. I was deep freezing my brain... which probably explains why I act the way I do today.

injest

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 12:59:47 am »
I have an aunt who takes the egg hunt very seriously! as she has gotten older she has become almost pyschotic about it...

one, she HATES for anyone to assist the kids...even the toddlers! "they have to learn' she cries...

the prize egg is taken to the extreme....she has buried it, hid it in her POCKET...??...every year it gets to be more and more of an ordeal. Because NOTHING happens til the prize egg is found and the longer it takes the more agitated she gets. Just in the last few years she has begun berating our intelligence..."I gave ya'll hints I can't believe there is not a one of you that has any sense!" "A two year old could find it"...the whole time just cackling her head off...

We can laugh later (really she is WAY over the top!) but at the time it is NOT funny. It is like I said an ordeal!

Two years ago was the last straw, she has moved into a trailor that is falling apart. I have been in it several times, still can't tell you what kind of flooring it has in it. Carpet? Tile? Wood? I have no idea..it is brownish/black/grey and squishy...She has said to Don...'don't lean on that wall it is loose'.

Her yard is full of odds and ends, there is an old toilet out there...not a kitshy planter...a toilet that broke and was replaced and rather than take it to the dump she just had them throw it out front. roughly 500 old pots full of dirt and dead plants, a fence that was chainlink...now mixed with roofing tin and boards, a headstone....(she says she 'found' it...yeah, I see headstones laying outside the road all the time...don't you?) she intends to grind the name off and use it herself

Now there is a reason I am telling this...I want you to picture this trailor on its tiny lot...she had the egg hunt there...(at least there was plenty of places to hide the eggs!)

It was a COLD rainy day. the kids were soaked to the skin and miserable...but come hell or high water they were gonna KEEP looking til they found that prize egg. Finally, we adults went to help, in clear defiance of her rule about not assisting...she stood on the porch glaring at us...

Finally found the egg ...she had tied it to the end of an ELECTRICAL cord and THROWN it up on TOP of the trailer...

Ok am I the only person that feels it is INSANE to want kids to start pulling at electrical cords attached to a decrepit trailer.............in the rain to boot??

argh!

No more...love her to death but not going to her house anymore for egg hunts!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 01:02:38 am »
Easter

My favorite holiday

always a big thing when I was growing up. We would go to a relatives house, 5000 eggs and a couple hundred kids. Big bowls of brightly colored eggs. The night before we spent hours carefully decorating and dying them...each thinking theirs was the best.

There would be a prize egg for grown ups and prize eggs for the little ones. Prizes for the one who found the most.

We knew that the eggs laying out in plain view were not for us big kids (prizes not withstanding) those were for the little ones...the ones who toddled out holding onto their parents fingers and were so surprised to find eggs laying in the yard!

Little girls in dresses, slips so full the dresses were as wide as they were tall...little boys in tiny suits and ties.

We always went to my aunt Celeste's house in Cincinnati for Easter. She had a big hill in her back yard. They always hid many eggs up there. Once when I was five or six years old, my cousin Joanne (she was several years older than me) took me up the hill and helped me find some eggs. She also led me to one of the prize eggs. I won a beagle! A real one!  :)

injest

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 01:05:45 am »
Dang, David...ya'll had GOOD prizes!!

we got candy and money...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 01:13:16 am »
I have an aunt who takes the egg hunt very seriously! as she has gotten older she has become almost pyschotic about it...

one, she HATES for anyone to assist the kids...even the toddlers! "they have to learn' she cries...

the prize egg is taken to the extreme....she has buried it, hid it in her POCKET...??...every year it gets to be more and more of an ordeal. Because NOTHING happens til the prize egg is found and the longer it takes the more agitated she gets. Just in the last few years she has begun berating our intelligence..."I gave ya'll hints I can't believe there is not a one of you that has any sense!" "A two year old could find it"...the whole time just cackling her head off...

We can laugh later (really she is WAY over the top!) but at the time it is NOT funny. It is like I said an ordeal!

Two years ago was the last straw, she has moved into a trailor that is falling apart. I have been in it several times, still can't tell you what kind of flooring it has in it. Carpet? Tile? Wood? I have no idea..it is brownish/black/grey and squishy...She has said to Don...'don't lean on that wall it is loose'.

Her yard is full of odds and ends, there is an old toilet out there...not a kitshy planter...a toilet that broke and was replaced and rather than take it to the dump she just had them throw it out front. roughly 500 old pots full of dirt and dead plants, a fence that was chainlink...now mixed with roofing tin and boards, a headstone....(she says she 'found' it...yeah, I see headstones laying outside the road all the time...don't you?) she intends to grind the name off and use it herself

Now there is a reason I am telling this...I want you to picture this trailor on its tiny lot...she had the egg hunt there...(at least there was plenty of places to hide the eggs!)

It was a COLD rainy day. the kids were soaked to the skin and miserable...but come hell or high water they were gonna KEEP looking til they found that prize egg. Finally, we adults went to help, in clear defiance of her rule about not assisting...she stood on the porch glaring at us...

Finally found the egg ...she had tied it to the end of an ELECTRICAL cord and THROWN it up on TOP of the trailer...

Ok am I the only person that feels it is INSANE to want kids to start pulling at electrical cords attached to a decrepit trailer.............in the rain to boot??

argh!

No more...love her to death but not going to her house anymore for egg hunts!

Is she starting to go around the bend a little? Is she still able to take care of herself now?

That is a sad story Jess. I hope she will be okay.

Since you mentioned her trailer I should probably tell you I lived in a trailer like that once. I don't think it was quite that bad, but it was pretty bad. I had to rent it for a couple of months during college. My apartment wasn't ready yet. In the bathroom, there was a hole by the toilet and you could look clear through it and see the ground outside.

I was really glad to get out of it and into my apartment. The apartment was quite nice so I guess it was worth it in the long run.

But I never will forget that old trailer at Mirror Lake Trailer Court in Vincennes, Indiana.  :P

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 01:16:24 am »
Dang, David...ya'll had GOOD prizes!!

we got candy and money...

Well, my aunt's dog just had puppies and they were trying to give them away. Later I found out my aunt and uncle discussed it with mom and dad ahead of time, and they all made sure I found the egg.  :D

injest

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 01:21:00 am »
she is fine David...living in Houston now...

Housing is a funny thing, we lived in shotgun shacks and old houses when I was growing up....never lived in a trailer myself but a lot of my relatives do...and there are some really nice ones out there.

another aunt lived in one down in Polk County. Had a built on room and a porch built across the back of it facing a stretch of forest land as far as the eye could see. I loved that place.

Once we lived in a house so old it didn't have an indoor toilet. It did have a showerhead in a little closet that had been added onto the side of one of the bedrooms...it was lined in black tar paper and had no light in it. In fact now that I think about it..it didn't have closets at all....just that added nook

injest

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 01:23:19 am »
It didn't have electricity either...I mean it was not wired for lights...the wires for the lights were stapled along the edges of the walls....painted over so many times you could hardly see them in places

injest

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 01:24:04 am »
Well, my aunt's dog just had puppies and they were trying to give them away. Later I found out my aunt and uncle discussed it with mom and dad ahead of time, and they all made sure I found the egg.  :D

sneaky!!

injest

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2006, 01:28:14 am »
UGLY!!

don't read DAVID!!!

My cousin was murdered in an old house like that. I don't know why I thought of that...but he was at a bar and picked up a girl. Her boyfriend and her had decided to rob someone...when he got home the boyfriend broke in and killed him with a machete.

You know who has to clean that kind of scene up? the family. They had to strip the carpet up...burned all the stuff in the back yard. Driving by you would see the light on it was an ugly feeling...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2006, 02:01:10 am »
UGLY!!

don't read DAVID!!!

My cousin was murdered in an old house like that. I don't know why I thought of that...but he was at a bar and picked up a girl. Her boyfriend and her had decided to rob someone...when he got home the boyfriend broke in and killed him with a machete.

You know who has to clean that kind of scene up? the family. They had to strip the carpet up...burned all the stuff in the back yard. Driving by you would see the light on it was an ugly feeling...

:'( :'( :'(

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2006, 02:08:24 am »
Yes, it's not all the bucolic Andy Griffith Mayberry kinda towns. sadly...

I have an ugly story, but I will try with a good story to balance it out...

When I was in 6th grade, my best friend was a black girl named Marguerite.  I invited her over to spend the night and go rollerskating some weekend; when her mother spoke with my mother to sort out the details, and realized we were white, her mom wouldn't let her come :( .  I was too young to comprehend wtf was going on - the concept of reverse discrimination - and blamed myself for some imagined transgressons.

Good story:  My high school was small enough that all of the classes important to me (physics, chemistry, adv math, calculus, etc...) were all taught by an Episcopal priest, whose tireless support and encouragement  inspired me to do undergrad at the same university he attended for his DDivinity degree...so it's proof positive that one good role model providing encouragement and support can make a huge difference in a young person's life.  Not that the same sort of thing doesn't happen in larger communities, but I think people get busy and that one-on-one connection is more rare.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 12:43:14 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2006, 08:11:23 am »
:'( :'( :'(

>:(

I TOLD you not to read that!! Jeez, you MEN! Just contrary! I shoulda said HEY DAVID READ THIS...and you would have RUN away from the story!!

MEN!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2006, 08:29:44 am »

I saw the old SATC episode where charlotte is dating an uncircumsized man, and she's all 'eewwww' about it!  I just can't imagine that! I don't think I know of one person in 'real life' that is circumsized. 

I didn't know that either... the KKK are an evil evil bunch.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2006, 11:09:47 am »
Yesterday I went to -you guessed it, a funeral!- my partner's Aunt had died at 91 and he and his son, brother and nephew were among the pall bearers. I sat witht he family because I knew it would mean a lot to him. At the grave I was standing next to a gay friend of mine who works at the funeral home, someone everyone knows. One of the preechers started reading from Genisis and said "God created man in his image..." and turned right toward us and said "...and woman in his image" and I thought "This fool is gonna start something".

We went to a realitives house for the meal afterward and the realives were passing out an "Action Sheet" the same preecher had given them. It was all about how you should boycott walmart because they had joined "The Homosexual Marriage Lobby". I was worried about what he might say to his elderly aunt, but he handled it really well and I think she is more confused now than she ever was.

I have boycotted Walmart for years for various reasons, but I'm watching them.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2006, 12:42:36 pm »
Yes, and women must not CUT their hair. BUT they also couldn't allow their hair to hang free..(in case a man lost control and had a lustful thought) which is why they walk around with twenty pound buns on their heads!

Actually, women covering their heads was a custom in "Chrisdendom" (i.e., western Europe, north America) for centuries, ended only in the early 20th century. It was a reference to the New Testament admonishment for women keeping their heads covered. There was a tradition that royalty were an exception, and I wondered if Sarah Ferguson's gorgeous mane of hair at her wedding was some reference to that.

We have lots of Amish and Mennonites in and around small Missouri towns, and I see women in stores regularly with prayer caps on.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2006, 12:44:33 pm »
We went to a realitives house for the meal afterward and the realives were passing out an "Action Sheet" the same preecher had given them. It was all about how you should boycott walmart because they had joined "The Homosexual Marriage Lobby". I was worried about what he might say to his elderly aunt, but he handled it really well and I think she is more confused now than she ever was.

Wow, someone who went to the Ivan the Terrible Charm School, for sure.

So how has Wal-Mart joined the "Homosexual Marriage Lobby"?  Does the HML have honorary straight person memberships?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2006, 01:04:24 pm »
Here is some news about Wal-Mart's position on this:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=208.msg104679#msg104679
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2006, 10:23:48 pm »

I never could understand these anti gay groups such as the AFA. What's the deal? They tell everyone they hate gay people and yet they spend every waking moment thinking about us. It doesn't make any sense. I wish they would just leave us alone.

I think they're a bunch of jealous wanabies and frustrated closet cases.  >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2006, 10:28:39 pm »
>:(

I TOLD you not to read that!! Jeez, you MEN! Just contrary! I shoulda said HEY DAVID READ THIS...and you would have RUN away from the story!!

MEN!

I know Jess. Go ahead and yell at me. I deserve it. But a "don't read David" message is just too tempting.

Remember the "Don't Touch... Wet Paint" signs? Well, there you go!  :D

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2006, 11:18:49 pm »
I never could understand these anti gay groups such as the AFA. What's the deal? They tell everyone they hate gay people and yet they spend every waking moment thinking about us. It doesn't make any sense. I wish they would just leave us alone.

They think they can hold back the river. I hope they know how to swim.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2006, 10:23:16 am »

I went to see Irish Comedian Ed Byrne last night and he was talking about AFA in the like..he raised a valid point but in such a funny way. I could help but laugh.

He was talking about how the likes of AFA say that HIV was brought by god as a way to kill gays and that new orleans was targeted by god with Katrina to punish them for the mardi gras.
 He was like - well surely in that case, god f*ck up big style when 'inventing' gays.. he's given himself a whole lotta work now. So you're worshipping a big stupid man in the sky?

And what about all those straight people that died as a result of Katrian and HIV - and they say - oh its just collateral damage say AFA & likes. What the hell!?

He was also joking about how surely even the most homobhobic person in the world would prefer having a gay couple live next door to them than a serial killer? Would they rather hear a same sex couple having sex through the wall or have a blade to their throat.

I mean really - do these people have logic in their brain?? really? any.. AT ALL!?

I'm on a rant today.

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2006, 04:22:26 pm »
I went to see Irish Comedian Ed Byrne last night and he was talking about AFA in the like..he raised a valid point but in such a funny way. I could help but laugh.

He was talking about how the likes of AFA say that HIV was brought by god as a way to kill gays and that new orleans was targeted by god with Katrina to punish them for the mardi gras.
 He was like - well surely in that case, god f*ck up big style when 'inventing' gays.. he's given himself a whole lotta work now. So you're worshipping a big stupid man in the sky?

And what about all those straight people that died as a result of Katrian and HIV - and they say - oh its just collateral damage say AFA & likes. What the hell!?

He was also joking about how surely even the most homobhobic person in the world would prefer having a gay couple live next door to them than a serial killer? Would they rather hear a same sex couple having sex through the wall or have a blade to their throat.

I mean really - do these people have logic in their brain?? really? any.. AT ALL!?

I'm on a rant today.

This comedian sounds brilliant! He makes a lot of sense too.

I remember hearing a minister on television once say that homosexuality is the worst sin of them all... even worse than murder. It was such a stupid remark, I didn't even get angry about it. I just felt sorry for him.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2006, 07:29:07 am »
This comedian sounds brilliant! He makes a lot of sense too.

I remember hearing a minister on television once say that homosexuality is the worst sin of them all... even worse than murder. It was such a stupid remark, I didn't even get angry about it. I just felt sorry for him.

Ed Byrne is pretty well known in the UK and does tours in the US - maybe he'll be in your neck of the woods some day.

Does this Minister even comprehend what he's just said? In his logic, 2 consenting adults indulging in something 'wrong' that only affects the 2 of them are worse than someone who murders someone and destroys families and puts fear into everyones lives??

geesh.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2006, 10:46:50 am »

A search of the AFA's site yielded the following information:

A pro-family organization is warning that Wal-Mart's new alliance with the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) is showing up in moves the corporation has made on its store shelves and in its employee benefit policies.

"In an "Action Alert" to its supporters on Monday (October 23), AFA identifies several book titles available through Walmart.com that it says relate to the promotion of homosexual marriage -- among them are:
What God Has Joined Together: The Christian Case for Gay Marriage; Legalizing Gay Marriage; Gay Marriage and Democracy: Equality for All; Defending Same-Sex Marriage; and Gay Marriage, Real Life: Ten Stories of Love and Family.

In addition, AFA states it found (via a search function at Walmart.com) more than 1,100 items for sale when the term "gay" was entered, almost 500 in response to the term "lesbian," and more than a hundred based on the terms "transgender," "bisexual," and "gay marriage." . . .Sharp also notes that Wal-Mart is now considering same-sex "partner" benefits. . .

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/10/afa/242006c.asp

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2006, 10:59:38 am »
I went to a small town recently... Casper, Wyoming! Fortunately for me, I met only enlightened people. But earlier in the week, Pete Tannen and Adrian DelMar encountered some people at a discussion group who didn't like Annie Proulx's portrayal of small-town Wyoming and voiced some prejudiced remarks. I wasn't there, so you'll have to read their account of it over on the Social Events forum. On the Sunday morning before Pete and I left Casper, we went to the Unitarian Church where the service was devoted to a discussion of marriage rights for all. Afterwards, Pete and I mingled and had coffee with the congregation, so I came away with a very positive view of small-town Wyoming!!

p.s. Though Casper is one of the largest towns in Wyo. it still qualifies as a small town in my book!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2006, 10:06:09 pm »
I have a good story about a small town. It happened right here in Indiana too!  :)

I'm not sure if you all remember Ryan White. He was a little boy from Indiana who contracted AIDS through a contaminated blood transfusion. The city of Kokomo, Indiana chased Ryan and his family our of town on a rail, but they were given a very warm welcome in Cicero, Indiana.

Kokomo is not a small town, but it certainly isn't a big city either. Cicero is a small town. I'm not sure of the population, but my guess is somewhere around 1500 people. This all happened when AIDS was still a relatively new disease and many people were very fearful of it and of those infected by it. It always amazed me that such a small central Indiana town managed to see a sick, scared and very sad little boy, rather than the disease slowly killing him. One would have expected even more hate and prejudice from a small town like Cicero.

He died about 15 years ago, and his funeral was held right here in Indianapolis. At his funeral, Sir Elton John played "Candle In The Wind" on the piano.  :'(

Edit: You can read about Ryan White here  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_White
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 10:10:56 pm by David925 »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2006, 04:41:54 am »
wow.. I hadn't heard of Ryan White.

Just shows the 'small town mentality' is not generic..

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2006, 11:15:52 am »

Does this Minister even comprehend what he's just said? In his logic, 2 consenting adults indulging in something 'wrong' that only affects the 2 of them are worse than someone who murders someone and destroys families and puts fear into everyones lives??

geesh.

That is a very good point, and it sort of echos what David said about Ryan White, the notion of homosexuality is so alien to people that it becomes disproportional in their minds. I think with the passage of time, seeing us as just regular people, a new perspective will come. In the meanwhile I am just patient, remembering what the founder of that religion once said: "Father forgive them, they know not what they do."