Author Topic: BABEL: Santaolalla and Prieto Together  (Read 9962 times)

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Santaolalla and Prieto Work Together on "Babel"
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 05:21:15 am »
I didn't know that, Adrian...very neat.  I've got Motorcycle Diaries from Netflix waiting for me to give it back ;)Babel is completely worth seeing, IMO.  I went in expecting Gustavo's music and Rodrigo's panorama and got both.  And the bonus was that Brad Pitt is a much better actor than I knew.
 8)

Hi Lynne,

Motorcycle Diaries is wonderful, not too much of Gustavo to enjoy though, but still excellent.  I can't wait to see Babel.  Never cared for Brad's acting, but will look forward to that too.

Adrian
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: BABEL: Santaolalla and Prieto Together
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 09:22:39 am »
Is this out in DVD yet?

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 10:36:13 pm »
Yep it's out on DVD.

Everyone here has seemed to like it, so I'll voice the opposite opinion without broadcasting spoilers.  While the movie itself was beautifully shot and the music of course was wonderful (despite the fact that BBM soundtrack DID for sure show up in the movie) I really disliked the movie overall.  I despised Cate Blanchetts role and didn't really think the whole part with the Japenese family/teenager was even necessary.  I walked out of the theater honestly angry that I had paid to see it.  But that is just one opinion in the midst of many who enjoyed it  :)  Everyone has different things that they enjoy, and this just wasn't one of mine! *lol*
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2007, 10:05:47 pm »
I saw this finally on DVD. I liked the part about the Japanese teenager the best. I'm sure if I took the time to see it in a theater, I would have felt cheated, but it was interesting on DVD and I thought it was one of the best films I've seen this year. (However I've seen a total of three new films this year! Pan's Labyrinth, 300 and this) Still, I would rather watch Brokeback Mountain any day!!

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 03:12:37 am »
I just saw Babel the other night, and I also enjoyed it. Initially, I think my biggest draw to it was Prieto and Santaolalla, but the movie had a lot of other things going for it as well.

The people I saw it with complained that the Chieko subplot was random, but I thought her story was so interesting. The Moroccan boys' story was so tragic, and it got me a little teary-eyed. The story with the Hispanic nanny was also very, very sad. That actress did very well and deserved her Oscar nod.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

mvansand76

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 12:26:09 pm »
I kept hearing BBM in nearly everything, but I think that's me and how I've got Gustavo's style now imprinted on my brain cells.  I didn't pick up on anything that was the same, but I intend to see it again, so I'll keep my ears open for it in that scene specifically.

Sorry to drag this thread up (from the depths...?) but I just saw the movie and I definitely heard the music that accompanies the closet scene (called Closet) and I nearly jumped out of my seat when I heard it because it is EXACTLY the same music! I thought it was really beautiful in the context of the movie, the part where the Moroccan police take siege at the hillside.

I absolutely loooooooooved the music... gosh, what a talent that man is...

The people I saw it with complained that the Chieko subplot was random, but I thought her story was so interesting. The Moroccan boys' story was so tragic, and it got me a little teary-eyed. The story with the Hispanic nanny was also very, very sad. That actress did very well and deserved her Oscar nod.

I thought the subplot was too random too, but nonetheless very interesting and wonderfully played!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 07:29:05 pm »
Hi Lynne,

Motorcycle Diaries is wonderful, not too much of Gustavo to enjoy though, but still excellent.  I can't wait to see Babel.  Never cared for Brad's acting, but will look forward to that too.

Adrian

I finally saw this movie! I love the soundtrack and have been listening to it for months. But I never did get to see the movie until now because I made a promise to a friend who gave me the DVD that I would see it with him. Well, the statute of limitations on movie promises has run out, IMO, and I'm glad because the film, and Gael Garcia Bernal, were entrancing!!