Author Topic: Why You Guys Mean So Much To Me  (Read 9549 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Why You Guys Mean So Much To Me
« on: April 05, 2006, 12:21:59 pm »
I know a lot of you have sent me nice thoughts and comments my way about me, the site, and my efforts here.  But I wanted to take a moment to say thanks to all of you who have come here (and stay here... and some of you are on here more than I am on here :) ) and given all of us new energy.

I try and measure my mood and outlook about things on a daily basis.  BBM lifted me out of a lot of despair and motivated me to make changes in my life like no movie ever has before.  It shook me awake and made me realize that the old daily grind was no longer acceptable to me.  This site is part of my own life journey forward, onwards and upwards.

I realized post-Oscars that some people who have spent the last three months (or more) of their lives soaking in all-things BBM would eventually start moving on to other things in their lives.  I've seen that effect in some ways on some other forums and realized that we were entering a quieter time until the DVD came out.

When you guys arrived, it completely re-energized me and got me right back on the positive track.  So this has been a win for a lot of you guys, but its been a major win for me as well because I rely on everyone on BetterMost just as much as they might rely on me.

So thanks for being here and helping me as well!
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
Re: Why You Guys Mean So Much To Me
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:28:12 pm »
Wow Phillip, thanks for sharing that. I am very glad to hear it isn't just a lot more work for you. It really seems like things work out in the strangest of ways sometimes. Thanks for being so awesome. Without you, we're nothin', we're nowhere.

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 12:29:28 pm »
Hey Philip,
There may come a day when you regret every meeting any of us, but for now, I am really glad that you are glad we are here!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:32:22 pm »
 :) :) :)
Thanks times nine,
Phillip.

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 12:40:49 pm »
Thanks so much Philip! :-* I am here forever, loving BBM, you and everyone else who likes to talk about BBM! I think these message boards have made me love BBM even more and I have created great friendship bonds with people that I never thought I would! You guys feel like my family now.....actually forget the family thing, you guys are better!

GROUP HUG! ;D  :) ;) :-*

O.T: If we are a family does that make me the baby of our family?

"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 01:09:30 pm »

When you guys arrived, it completely re-energized me and got me right back on the positive track.  So this has been a win for a lot of you guys, but its been a major win for me as well because I rely on everyone on BetterMost just as much as they might rely on me.

So thanks for being here and helping me as well!

You have energized us, and given so much hope back to a bunch of folks who were worn down from battling.  I'm so glad you're happy with the decision to invite us here - I know I am!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 01:16:02 pm »
Thanks for being so awesome. Without you, we're nothin', we're nowhere.

Here here!
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 01:18:06 pm »
Thanks so much for sharing that with us, Phillip.

You were like a knight in shining armor for us when we desperately needed one, and I'm happy to know that you've received something back in return for your kindness to us.

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 01:26:35 pm »
I'm actually more sad about what has happened to the forums on IMDB.com.

All the newbies, when they finally get to check out the BBM website, after viewing the dvd,  are going to see it's full of homophobic posts, or way off topic thinks such as the ICE movie or whatever animation thing there talking about. Plus it's been scorched by trolls.  Do you think anyone is going to take the time to post something articulate and thought provoking when the forum has been trashed?  Makes me sad.  :(

I'm glad we had the IMDB BBM for awhile. I had been looking at the BBM forum since early September. I stopped looking when ppl started talking about spoilers, after the film came out in CA and NYC. We had Jan and Feb without constant troll interruption on the big board...  THen we went to PT. Then that was lost. 

This forum is the new citadel.  It's the third ROME.  The first two are gone.

I tend to be dramatic about things.  ;D

Thanks for this place.  I hope it stays forever and ever.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 02:24:08 pm »
Thank you Philip for sharing your thoughts. I'm also happy you letting us be in this place. It's truly peaceful and nice. It also has much better features than most boards do.  Gracias!!! (as we say here in Spain!).
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 02:28:18 pm »
"You Bet"     ;D

We've been thru a lot on IMDB trying to keep the group together.   We are all grateful for the opportunity to have a permanent home finally.

Thanks again Phillip!

David CT

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 02:31:03 pm »
 ;D

Yes, we are very grateful.

www.jlodown.com
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 02:37:07 pm »
To Phillip and the rest of board posters and lurkers -

thanks so much for this site - I have never before belonged to anything remotely like this.  I found BBM by accident literally and it took over my life (I'm sure you can all relate).  I was on the net every day when I could get a break and every evening after work.  It has slowed some especially after the Oscars, but the love and emotion are still with me.  I tried to "belong" to a fan club for one of my favorite singers, but it quickly became overrun with teens and 20 somethings and dissolved into petty squabbles and disagreements, and I feel my $40 membership was just a waste.  Thanks for having me - I don't post as often as some of the others and will usually not get involved in arguments unless there is a really strong conviction to get my point across - just so glad to have a comfortable place to lounge and discuss BBM and all things relevant to it. :-*
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 02:40:01 pm »
Yes, thank you :)

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 02:44:52 pm »
I am so glad to see you say that. When we first came here, I thought to myself: "Oh god, I hope he doesn't feel bombarded with all of us coming here and I hope he doesn't regret inviting us." So I am so happy that this has been a positive thing for you too  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 03:33:56 pm »
It is wonderful to have u shepherding us. BTW, do u still need pix of mountains? I was planning to go thru my CDs of pix this weekend and send u some images of my beautiful Rockies. Will plan on that unless u say you're inundated with them.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 04:01:24 pm »
Phillip, that's so kind of you to post.  You have been so kind, generous and accomodating to us here, it's good to know that it's been rewarding in several ways for you as well.

If BBM's done anything, it sure has brought some special people together, and obviously you're one of them.  Please know how much we appreciate all you've done and continue to do!!!  :)
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 04:27:31 pm »
BBM lifted me out of a lot of despair and motivated me to make changes in my life like no movie ever has before.

Firstly let me say pubilcly, as I have gushed at you already privately, that this place is a shining beacon.  It draws me here like a moth to the flame.  I have already spent "1day, 9hours, and 21 minutes" of my life physically splashing around in this delicious bubble bath of milk and honey.  

Like you, and I have said this so many times in the past that my fellow Brokie family members are probably mouthing the words before I finish typing them, Pre Brokeback Mountain I was a tad lost, cynical, bored, and directionless.  Since BBM and its message of lost opportunities, I have changed all that.  I have bettered my job, given myself challenging yet acheivable goals, refreshed and rejuvinated the relationships that are most valuable to me, and mostly I have changed my attitude.  I rarely allow an opportunity to pass now without giving it a go, which can be time consuming, but it is, strangely, lengthening my life.  I had fallen into the trap of being a 40 year old 60 year old.  Very old before my time and considering a lot of options closed to me.  (I'm not suggesting 60 is "very old", but it's older than a 40 year old should be.) Now I feel much more like a 40 year old 40year old and grabbing life by the horns.  I thankyou for your part in this, and I thank ALL my Brokie family past and present for giving me a smile, a tingle, a thought every single day.

just so glad to have a comfortable place to lounge and discuss BBM and all things relevant to it.

The thing I love about all this is that whilst BBM indeed plays over in my head and heart on loop, and we still continually discuss its meaning, the technicalities of its making, its nuances, its impact, right down to the spelling of a indecipheral grunt, we now share EVERYTHING with each other.  Because of this film, and because of these forums, and becuase of the people who have gathered here, we have moved well beyond the world of the film and become part of each other's world.  We talk about everything and anything and rarely do we get judged, (notable exceptions).  Hell I was just in another board discussing my man boobies.  I don't even get THAT graphic with my friends!  We annoy each other at times.  We groan at each other's nonsense.  We debate actively, and we get cheesy and gushy and sooky and naff.  But we are supportive, and we are family.  MWA

Luvs ya all and don't ever leave me!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 04:59:40 pm by Ray »
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 04:48:33 pm »

Well said, Ray.  And everybody.  Since I can't "actually" go to Brokeback Mountain, I come here. Its the first place I visit in the morning and the last thing i switched off before going to bed.

Thank you Phillip, and everybody else too..

Sheyne.
Chut up!

vkm91941

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 04:57:38 pm »
ditto what Ray and Sheyne both said so much more eloquently than I ever could have.  You all occupy a very special corner of my heart that is yours alone.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 05:16:34 pm »
It is wonderful to have u shepherding us. BTW, do u still need pix of mountains? I was planning to go thru my CDs of pix this weekend and send u some images of my beautiful Rockies. Will plan on that unless u say you're inundated with them.

No... more more more... I haven't had time to build an online slide show thing yet, but I want lots of raw material.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 05:01:28 am »
Bumping for later..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 05:11:34 am »
As newyearsday said, literally, "without you we're nothin', we're nowhere."

And as lnicoll said, "There may come a day when you regret every meeting any of us..."  I wondered if yesterday was that day, with all the stompin and huffin, so it's triply nice to hear you say you're glad we're here.

Your humble servant,

Clarissa

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 08:57:45 pm »
Bumping for now and for later and for whatever else bumping requires. 

:angel:
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 09:28:44 pm »
Finally read it -

This site is part of my own life journey forward, onwards and upwards.
WOW! I'm happy to be part of your life journey forward! I feared too at the beginning, that this sudden invasion would be a bit too much, but I'm pleased to see that it's not the case.

Thank you for allowing us to feel at home here Philip!

BBM indeed plays over in my head and heart on loop
So weird, isn't it? Every now and so often, I think, yep, now I'm over it. I feel very sad then, but just moments later I realize I'm still hooked! And I feel weirdly relieved!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 09:48:18 pm »
Phillip,

I was so glad to read your post! After we all moved here, made ourselves at home, and started chattering away like we always do, I wondered if we could wear out our welcome - I mean, right now, we have well over 5,000 posts in over 300 threads, LOL!

Thank you.

moni
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2006, 07:37:36 am »
Ditto to the sentiment Ray.

Ray, guys, everyone...  you had me at hello.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2006, 10:08:01 am »

No... more more more... I haven't had time to build an online slide show thing yet, but I want lots of raw material.

Okay I'm on it. A fun assignment!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2006, 02:41:10 pm »
Phillip,

I was so glad to read your post! After we all moved here, made ourselves at home, and started chattering away like we always do, I wondered if we could wear out our welcome - I mean, right now, we have well over 5,000 posts in over 300 threads, LOL!

Thank you.

moni

Nope, write as much as you want to write.  Just do it all over the site.  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 06:09:53 pm »
I think this needs bumping guys.. to remind us all

I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but all families fight sometimes...

MWA!

:-*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I'm feeling so much less stress
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 06:24:26 pm »
Does that subject make sense? Ever since I came to this board and got my BBM DVD, I feel like I'm walking on air most of the time. No stress at all...but I'm sorry to see that some of my fellow brokies are stressed. I'd like to get us all together on an island in the middle of that lake where Ennis and Jack once camped. Not sure if it would be Shangri-la, Lost" or "Survivor." But it would be an excellent experiment nonetheless. Every day I am grateful to Phillip for creating this haven and for all of you who led me here.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 06:58:11 pm »
I still feel the same way!